The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old June 23, 2013, 01:34 PM   #126
Duzell

i think ill keep my irons as is for now, just need a front sight adjuster and i should start seeing groups towards the center

but ive heard nothing but praise for the smiths sights

i also hear that some prefer the
mojo sights

and that brass stacker has a front sight for those who cut the barrel

i recently ran across this trigger for the mosin, that dosnt need modification to add some more accuracy, any thoughts?

Trigger
Old June 23, 2013, 01:44 PM   #127
tahunua001

I have no experience with the triggers but for $90 I would just as soon go with a timney, they have the reputation to back up their claims and for the most part it looks like all those people are selling are the triggers themselves, you're still stuck with the heavy stock springs and such. I'm sure they are better than stock but not $90 better.
Old June 24, 2013, 09:18 AM   #128
Duzell

mosin inoperable currently

well something i have to note.

i went to try practice loading with some fake rounds, the dummy ones.
and now the mosin cant chamber rounds, also the bolt became stuck in the load position, took me & mallet to open it and eject round, i inspected the receiver and it appears that the forward mount point, were the smith drilled and tapped has flared out into the receiver, and prevents safe chambering and ejection of round. so now having an inoperable mosin, i will be going to see him today and request he fix the rifle so that its once again functioning.

as i see this as a safety issue , i will not be firing the rifle until this is resolved

i also must note a few things about loading rounds with the rocksolid mount.
the bullets must be dropped over a lip and forced down into the chamber, it doesnt complicate loading though, smooth drop in. now after ejecting the one round i note the mounts ejection path will either be to the right of the rifle, or ejects them at a 45 degree angle, still the issue of the bolt hitting the mount , if i just shave the top off the bolt a bit it will clear, but i have an email into RSI's to see if they can correct this issue
Old June 24, 2013, 03:17 PM   #129
Duzell

black lightning back in action/ update

UPDATE
ok, went to gunsmith, he cleaned up the receiver area and we did a few feeds with fake ammo rounds, no issues.

i then got him to touch up the bolt handle by grinding down just a bit and now i can cycle and feed rounds easily

he also polished the bolt, it was only 5$'s so i wasnt put out much for the work.

now scope rings will be here
as well as my new case, as scope is to big to fit in ANY of my current cases. my friends thank me for letting them borrow my single rifle cases which are now useless with the scoped mosin

Current addition to the mosin target shooter
-scope
-barska sniper gen 2 scope, 30 mm tube, nitrogen filled , 6x-24x IR scope, with 2 illumnation modes, and a sunshade. its very clear, and everything moves exactly how i want it to, now if it will last against my mosin....

-scope rings
-barska low 30mm rings: they weren't expensive and seemed low enough for the new mount , the rings that came with would suit something like an AR, not a mosin

9130 muzzle break
now this was a tough choice, i had talks with zane g, maker of the barret mosin muzzle lock break, a few other odd companies, and finally landed on mosinplus

-mosin plus has, 2 muzzle breaks for the mosin 9130, one for those who have cut the barrel off now can have a sick muzzle break thats easy to install on and off

- and for those with irons (like me) you can have a fast lock, similiar setup as zane g's at a fraction of the cost, 45$'s, were the barret style is 150$ last i checked

- now i have the second 1 and i can say its solid and durable, and does exactly what it says, reduces rise,recoil, and flash.

also makes it louder, quick attachment even without the screws , will tighten the groups a bit

only 2 con's to this break and this also goes for zane g

1. weight, these break put a nice amout of weight up front, so if you have scout scope already, i wont recommend to you, as you will get tired of holding all the weight at the front of the rifle.

2. cone screws, while useful and fast to work with will tear into the paint/metal of the front of the barrel, fast lock's is underneath, but the normal cur barrel break has 4, this will be visible unless you use a quick paint touch up like i have been doing with the rustoleum paint(still impressed after the heat it had on it)

otherwise its an awesome and effective tool
RIFLE CASES

i never really stated what rifle cases i had so i thought id list them for you mosin users, pro and cons

1.Bulldog Economy Black Rifle Case with Black Trim (52-Inch):
with the recoil pad added this should still accommodate the the mosin as well as a scout mosin easy, not so good for the scope on receiver mosin as i found out, still using till i get the scope on, it is easy to carry and protects rifle, and it floats....?, no lock point, so take bolt out, or have trigger lock

2. Plano Protector Single Rifle/Shotgun Case:
it has deer and tree scene on the case, so for you hunters its a nice touch, 4 clips and 3 locking points,typical of plano cases, has egg shell foam for protection, cheap plastic, needs 2 normal locks and 1 small one, id recommend taping or gluing the foam as its not held down and will fall out or move, easy for standard mosin, but scoped in anyway can have issues fitting.

3. NEW: Flambeau Safeshot Oversized Double Case. i had to order this to accommodate the new 50 mm scope, not pricey but similar specs to the plano. i have yet to receive it, but it will fit the mosin no problem form the dimensions. maybe hold another gun in with as well, or just all my mosin accessories???

If anyone else got recommendations for cases let me know, im still looking for a nice soft case thats not pricey for a scoped rifle.

53" lengthx3"widthx11"high is my mosins dimensions with the scope

SHOOTING
so now that mosin bl is back in firing condition i plan to shoot this weekend to zero/test scope at 100(move out from there), then draw up a ballistics chart , and post it so if anyone else may need it, they can get one for the scope as a jpeg(ill make varying sizes for those who want to bring to range like me.

if anyone has questions on part(s) specs, or recommendation for parts to look into dont be shy

Last edited by Duzell; June 24, 2013 at 03:25 PM.
Old June 24, 2013, 07:27 PM   #130
Duzell

low scope rings

the new barska low scope rings came in, list pros and cons

pro

-grip on inside of ring
-very low profile
-allen wrench
-low cost
-light weight

con

-2 screw points on each ring
- not a perfect round fit like the ones that came with the scope on a 30mm tube
-must criss cross pattern the screws to make it leveled, or it will bind the scope, or turn it from leveled position

Old June 24, 2013, 09:56 PM   #131
tobnpr

Duzell, replied by PM.
www.biggorillagunworks.com
Old June 25, 2013, 01:38 PM   #132
Duzell

update: grg mfg grip

cool and thanks for taking the time , i appreciate it

Update

well got the new rings on the mosin, leveled and equal, kind of annoying, i would much rather have the old rings if they were lower

the grip, i have enjoyed the grip with shooting for a while now no issues , my only complaint was grip width, but that was due tot he bipod legs.

last night after cleaning i went to put my cleaning supplies, came back and the leg broke at the top and my rifle had fallen on its side, luckily i always place a few towels around the rifle just in case, so no damage to scope or rifle. but i have to note it broke.

i have an email into the manufacture for a replacement if not i return it

Edit:
grg mfg will not take responsibility for defective products and states not to contact them about it. i will not be recommending this product from this point on, as the manufacture has zero accountability for faulty products.

sad to say my cheap ncstar bipod is still functioning with minor scratches whiles this steel one breaks randomly with use

Last edited by Duzell; June 25, 2013 at 03:42 PM.
Old June 26, 2013, 02:38 PM   #133
Clark

I have a video where I compare Mosin Nagant trigger options, by testing a population of Mosin Nagant parts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPn8IdNJ_SE

1) I find that the best option is to buy a Timney.
It provides a safety.
This can reduce the trigger force from 4 pounds down to 1.5 pounds.

2) I find that the second best is to bend the sear.
This can reduce the trigger force from 4 pounds down to 2.5 pounds.

3) I find that the Huber Concept trigger provides no measurable improvement.

4) I find that polishing the cocking piece has no measurable improvement.

5) I find that polishing the sear has no measurable improvement.

I show how to bend the sear the correct amount to maintain sear - cocking piece full engagement.

I show how to provide clearance between the Timney trigger and home made pillar bedding.

I show how to adjust the Timney trigger.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?

Last edited by Clark; June 26, 2013 at 02:46 PM.
Old June 26, 2013, 05:14 PM   #134
Duzell

very useful

a good note for those considering triggers
Old June 29, 2013, 10:12 AM   #135
Duzell

Sunday shoot

well my buddy is bringing his american hopefully and we can try sighting the american and the mosin out to 100 yrds, then ill start the chart

mainly this will be a test of the scope, to see if it can stand the recoil, and shoot accurately. if it dosnt work ill send it back and get a leopold or a redfield, but i must say i really do like the scope, it is quick to acquire a target, zooming in, its very clear. i really like the paralax, adjustment, its lowest is 15 yards and the highest is infinite. i dont think il ever get to that point but all the same its a good scope for the money, and if it works im ok.

-it is warrantied and ive had 3 customer service representatives state it can handle 30 06 or lower, and since 7.62x54r is between 308 and 30 06 i think we are good, but if not, a good thing to note issues with the scope.
Old June 30, 2013, 08:25 PM   #136
Duzell

scope survived the day

Another bipod done
-ncstar bipod: still functional but one of the pins is misshapen and wont fit a swivel stud anymore. so now down another bipod.

the Shoot
- well the range was set to 50 yards straight line to target, shots started low right of paper. slowly adjusting my scope i did a perfect line up about 1 inch below/right of the X, with no gaps between, i was rather impressed but its at 50 yards not much to write home about. i then adjusted a few big clicks and got to be directly 1 inch below the x, but sadly at this point i was out of ammo, so a few click up and im dead center next shoot and moving the target to 100yrds. i was using the MFJ ammo, this ammo is consistent and actually shoots nice tight groups, the only issue i can note is that some have issues ejecting, not sure why...

ruger American

well he finally got this dead center at 50 yrds
Old July 3, 2013, 09:42 AM   #137
Duzell

the mosins barska scope seems to be handling the recoil, we need to still zero in at 50, then adjust out to 100 yards. the front muzzle break loosened a bit after 60 rounds but was still holding and firing fine. i took the sling and underail off and have had to modify my bipods clamp to now lock onto the swivel stud again. made it less bulky to carry, and since im range shooting i dont need a sling, we actually had a guy with a scout mosin shooting next to us. was fun to compare the two designs
Old July 3, 2013, 08:44 PM   #138
Duzell

quick video on the mosin

just a quick video of what the mosin currently looks like, the new case i have to use to take it shooting, and just some info for those who wonder about the rock solid equipment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMSXYrWwyC0
Old July 5, 2013, 10:54 PM   #139
Skarekrow88

Very nice, if I was to sporterize a mosin I would hope it turned out looking very much like yours.
Old July 6, 2013, 10:48 PM   #140
Duzell

thank you, if you need help or recommendations on stocks i can throw a few sources out , one of our members actually makes some stocks as well
Old July 15, 2013, 03:41 PM   #141
Duzell

just got some wolf ammo, the look nice, im hoping for constancy
Old August 28, 2013, 02:10 PM   #142
Duzell

well looks like ill be bringing the mosin to a local Russian rifle shoot next month. hoping to confuse or turn heads with bl
Old August 28, 2013, 04:12 PM   #143
tahunua001

just as a cautionary:
you may want to be sure that there is a class for sporterized rifles. a lot of times they want as issued or open sights.
Old September 15, 2013, 08:48 PM   #144
Duzell

good tip

the shoot will be the next meet, its hosted by the swiss rifle club in my area

mainly ill be bringing it for people to play shoot(not shoot accurately, just hit some targets for fun)

mostly new shooters come to these shoots mainly to see how to shoot, the group will have non sport and sported mosins. sks, and maybe some other older ones if the manager gets his collection out

i find the mosin is a great rifle to let new shooters try out, and have fun with.
I feel this is due to the caliber being high but not high enough that it spooks them from shooting the gun. i have never had someone have a bad experience shooting it, and made many a mosin lover with her.

but whats your take? i think its a good gun for a starting shooter or even an experience shooter to have, easy to use/clean, cheap on the wallet and such. plus is forgiving to the shooter who is new
Old September 15, 2013, 09:16 PM   #145
tahunua001

I personally do not feel that the mosin is a good starter gun but that's just my opinion.

you want a gun that's as lightly recoiling as possible, well weighted, requires little upkeep/prep work, and is smooth to operate. the average 91/30 is not any of these things.

if you would have given me a 91/30 when I was 12 and told me I needed to completely strip it, boil the cosmoline out of the small parts and put it back together I would have about had an aneurism trying to get it done. granted most new shooters start under the supervision of a more seasoned shooter but I had relatively little instruction and for that I am grateful that I started with a remington 700: smooth bolt and never required complete breakdown. even if it did, there are far fewer components to worry about.

a 91/30 is great for someone that's been around the block a few times but not something that I would hand to my 11 year old niece on christmas morning.
Old September 15, 2013, 09:46 PM   #146
Josh Smith

Trigger Offer

Hello,

OK, figure I'll make this offer:

I sell these from time-to-time on boards on which I advertise, but I'll make an exception here since neither of the triggers popularly out there are to your liking.

Details of my triggers are shown below. Please bear in mind that these pictures were taken during manufacture and the trigger does not yet have grease or bluing on it.

These cannot be patented as a very similar product, the Finnish M39's trigger, has been around since at least 1939!

The function of this trigger is similar to the M39's, and I used it to demonstrate the proper function of an M39 trigger in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdO8M4-idqE

The difference is that mine uses roller bearings. I've sent a few to folks and I use one myself. I'll not say they are match-grade, but one feller uses his to shoot 400 and 600 yards. They are smoother than the Finnish M39 triggers and the couple, few folks who have them all say they feel better than Mauser triggers.

It will come fit to my 91/30 and will come with a matched sear.

I am not selling these on my website for the foreseeable future.

Looking at prices, Huber Concepts (single-stage, light, long pull) runs $70+ and Timney runs $100+.

I don't think this is right.

If you want one, it will run $50 and I need you to agree to the following:

1. You promise not to sue me for any reason. I don't generally sell these due to liability, but I think I'm OK doing this limited thing. I'm an LLC but still need my shop.

2. Though fitted to my Mosin, each rifle is an individual. You may have to do further fitting, albeit minor. You should have the tools (lineman's pliers or smallish needle nosed pliers work; I use both) and skill for any minor tweaks for your particular rifle. Email support will be provided.

3. Understand that I'm overextending myself by one on the current order by offering this to you, so I'll need a bit of time to order the parts and fit everything, give it two or three weeks.

Regards,

Josh
Old September 16, 2013, 10:03 AM   #147
Duzell

@ tahunua001
i agree with that, i believe its good as a rifle to begin for those wit experienced. but a young new shooter, i would suggest a 22 or something low caliber, even a carbine. As i feel we dont want them scared of shooting guns, and high recoil has scared off many a new shooter.

id say mosin should be bought for those who have shot before and understand the safety and care that goes into owning a gun.

@Josh Smith

well another thing for people to look into getting for a mosin.

i personally dont need one, my trigger is very clean and precise as is. the only major mod my gun has is its scope mount. but i have similiar topics on this project for people to reference. another source for those looking to further customize there trigger
Old September 16, 2013, 03:15 PM   #148
SkyBehind

Josh wasn't selling his triggers when I had contacted him, but I did make one of a similar design myself. I also bent the sear spring for adjustment and polished the contacting surfaces. I will say my trigger is incredible, especially compared to a stock Mosin. It has little creep, very very smooth, and is 4.5 lbs of pull. Looking at the the bolt catch, it actually stands up higher than stock and lowers completely when the trigger is pulled (for the people who think this is a safety issue). Of course it passed all the drop tests, hitting the bolt, etc.

I'd highly recommend getting one of Josh's triggers or doing one of your own.
Old September 16, 2013, 03:27 PM   #149
SkyBehind

1939 Mosing Nagant, Izhevsk Round Receiver

Stock
- Archangel OPFOR Stock
- sprayed rubber for grip material on pistol grip
- installed swivel stud and bipod
- Carved out notch so that bolt can close completely

Barrel and Action
- Barreled action stripped to bare metal, bead blasted, and blued (hot/caustic bluing, not rub on stuff)
- Action drilled and tapped for Rock Solid Industries scope mount (installed)
- Barrel cut to 24" and crowned
- Cut off rear sight and sanded barrel to even out, bead blasted after.
- Installed 4-16 x 44 scope with illuminated reticle

Bolt
- Bead blasted and blued
- Bolt handle turned down and tactical knob added (MAX SHEPPARD BOLT PRODUCTS http://maxshepherdboltproducts.com/, only thing I didn't do myself)
- Pull ring added to bolt safety/cocker (OK, second thing I did't do myself. Wouldn't recommend for the Archangel stock, it can hit the cheek riser).
- Light load (21 lbs) stainless steel firing pin spring added (C & R Surplus Spring LLC [email protected])

Trigger
- Drilled trigger and added roller bar bearing (custom design) to reduce amount of trigger travel and reduce friction (smooth out pull)
- Reshaped, polished, and shimmed sear for lighter pull and to increase smoothness
- Installed trigger slack spring (C & R Surplus Spring LLC [email protected]) - trigger doesn't freely move/shake (i.e. rattle back and forth). *Spring puts slight forward pressure on trigger.

Trigger is reduced to 4.5 lbs (measured on Wheeler Engineering trigger scale) of pull (probably from about 16). *
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mosin Right.jpg (244.9 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg Mosin Left.jpg (244.2 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg Mosin Barrel.jpg (231.5 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by SkyBehind; September 16, 2013 at 03:59 PM.
Old September 17, 2013, 09:05 PM   #150
Duzell

i havent yet done the lbs on my trigger but i have no creep, it fires at the same point every time, and i just havent bothered with it yet to be truthful.

i find my 6-24 power scope is a bit massive but i just love its clarity and i find the paralax as a great tool for long range. but mainly i find im the spotter with my scope, while my buddies with lower power shoot.

i would love to get my mosin blued, its basically the last step on cosmetic of the project of BL

i also have a guy at archangel sending me a green opfor stock when its available for testing, also with a few mags. do you have any issues? i know of a few with the mags that they are fixing (a baking issue in the process of molding them), as well as groving for bent bolt