The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old January 2, 2009, 11:37 PM   #1
BigDinOC

Bullseye Competion

This may be stupid question if so I will say that I am sorry before hand. My question is in bullseye are the scores posted online so that you can compete with friends and family 3000 miles away? Is it possible to compete with each other on a week to week basis (or month to month)

Thanks D
Old January 2, 2009, 11:54 PM   #2
OldShooter

Bullseye

I shoot indoor winter bullseye at a local club. The results are reported to the NRA and posted locally. I did get an annual report from NRA that gave standings for the whole country and showed how badly I did in comparison to everyone else. You'll just have to send out emails to your distant friends and lie, like I do.
Old January 3, 2009, 12:47 AM   #3
Casimer

Quote:
You'll just have to send out emails to your distant friends and lie, like I do.
LOL - thus the advent of the Internet High Master

Scores for the big matches are publicized, but the scores of local matches aren't unless the sponsoring club chooses to do so.

You could ask the match director to sign a record of your scores when you turn in your scorecard. They'll want to keep the official scorecard, but would probably be willing to sign a separate copy if you explain that you're competing in a 'postal match'.
Old January 3, 2009, 01:46 AM   #4
T. O'Heir

"...Is it possible to compete with each other..." Sure. Facebook or any of those sites will do nicely. Informal club practice matches scores aren't usually recorded by the club, but that doesn't mean you and your friends and family can't. No prizes or trophies, unless you organize it.
"...if you explain that you're competing in a 'postal match'..." That'll likely get other shooters interested in participating too. That's not a bad thing.
League matches are recorded and sometimes get posted on-line. Takes a volunteer to do it though.
Jump into a league(usually club vs club) if you can. It's challenging and great fun.
Old January 3, 2009, 05:45 AM   #5
darkgael

online match

I participate in two other forums that have matches that are shot and then reported online. One is a traditional muzzleloader site. There is some kind of competition going on pretty much all year. Another site has a .22 match that they report on. I'm sure that there are others.
As for Bullseye matches, it'd be fairly simple to shoot and report gallery scores (or longer matches) but I am not aware of any organized endeavor (and there is the matter of trust and the honor system. There are shooters whose abilities border on the supernatural; there are shooters who refuse to believe any claim if it's not accompanied by a videotape).
Pete
Old January 3, 2009, 09:21 AM   #6
bggwind

RugerForum

RugerForum.com has a monthly online shooting match that varies from month-to-month. Everything from weak-hand shooting to big bore to snubnose...

I've done a couple and those are a blast, providing that you have the hardware to participate.
Old January 5, 2009, 09:05 AM   #7
melchloboo2

If your scores are getting sent to the NRA, they will eventually send you a classification card.

Also, I believe there are a number of programs where you can earn patches and certifications.

However....

Bullseye is a journey with many hills and valleys. Remember that you are only competing against yourself.