The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 29, 2012, 08:44 PM   #1
SerenityNetworks

Experienced opinion wanted on Glock 20, 10mm

I posted earlier asking about pistols with 10mm/.22 conversions. After considering the experienced opinions here and talking personally with some marksmen I've abandoned the "single pistol" idea. I've purchased a Ruger Mark III 22/45 for my trigger time. I'm now going to be saving towards the end goal; that is, a good, forever, last until I die, totally reliable, hunting and hunting rifle or shotgun backup (hogs primarily), and HD pistol.

I'm leaning heavily towards the Glock 20 in 10mm. My thoughts (with the pistol and caliber combination) are: it is reliable, it can drop a big animal with the heavy loads, it is accurate enough for my purposes, it can drop an intruder with lighter loads and not punch through walls, in my hands I swing up to a natural sight picture (as with the 22/45), and I don't have to sell a grandchild or save forever to get it. If I ever do want to do a conversion to another caliber then there are kits available. Lastly, I think it will fire a shot shell (for rattlesnakes in West Texas), but I need to check.

Thoughts?

Thanks on advance,
Andrew

Sent using Tapatalk 2
Old June 29, 2012, 08:50 PM   #2
JohnKSa
Staff

I've been happy with mine.

It's a big gun. Be sure you like the grip size before buying.

I don't know of any shotsells available in 10mm. You'll have to load your own or buy a .40S&W conversion barrel and purchase .40S&W shotshells.

For what it's worth, I don't believe that there are any decent self-defense loadings in 10mm (or any other decent handgun defensive calibers) that won't "punch through walls". If it penetrates deeply enough in human tissue to have a decent chance of inpacitating then it will penetrate enough through drywall to kill someone on the other side.
Old June 29, 2012, 09:25 PM   #3
SerenityNetworks

Not having a shot shell is not a deal breaker for me.

I've not shot the Glock 20. I've just held a couple and they felt good to me. (Even though I have small hands, and I'm told the Glocks don't like small hands.) Anyway, as I've tried holding more pistols, very few come to a natural sight picture - most 1911s, the 22/45, and the Glock 20. With Luger angled grips, the front sight is almost always 1/4" to the left of the rear when I raise the gun and then open my eyes. Others are all over the place. But there are still tons I haven't tried.

I never asked the salesmen, are there different sized grips for the Glock, so I need to be careful if I order?

I'll certainly rent one to shoot before I buy, but I thought it'd start soliciting some guidance early.

Thanks again,
Andrew

Sent using Tapatalk 2
Old June 29, 2012, 09:36 PM   #4
vladan

If you want smaller grip, look for SF version. The grip frame is shorter just a little but it make a lot of difference in grip comfort - my G20SF feels almost the same size as my G23 (thickness wise, not the length obviously ).

Another bonus with G20 is you can buy caliber conversion barrels for .40SW, .357sig and 9x25dillon that will convert your glock to those calibers with simple barrel swap ( not even different magazine needed )
Old June 29, 2012, 09:54 PM   #5
SerenityNetworks

Oooh, I didn't know the conversion was so easy. A simple barrel swap? Does a gunsmith need to do the initial fitting or is it just swap and go?

What round would produce a recoil similar to the 10mm, but be less expensive?

Thanks again,
Andrew

Sent using Tapatalk 2
Old June 29, 2012, 10:04 PM   #6
tom234

LWD barrels, both conversion and 10MM are drop ins and lock up IMHO is tighter than OEM.
I think you'll find that only 10MM is going to recoil like a 10mm.
Old June 29, 2012, 10:23 PM   #7
AndyWest

Yeah only 10mm feels like 10mm. It's a big auto round that delivers energy. At the risk of starting a flame-fest, I have a G21 with a custom G20/10mm compensated barrel that feels great to me. As much or possibly less recoil than a stock G21 .45.
Old June 29, 2012, 10:24 PM   #8
Ralph Allen

I have a Glock 20C. Oh it is a fun and enjoyable gun to shoot. Have shot a friend of mines regular Glock 20 as well as a Bren 10. The compensated barrel on mine is a pleasure to shoot. I won't tell you anything about the grip size, etc, as you seem to be familiar with that, and also, the last time I voiced my 2 cents on this subject, I started a tirade with an internet expert. Like I said, I love my 20C.
Ralph
Old June 29, 2012, 10:26 PM   #9
Lprmcnit

Glock 20

As other have said the G20 is exceptional. I got one3 years ago and have been very pleased. The only problem is if you plan on taking classes where lead free or frangible ammo is required,( like TR) its very difficult to get in 10mm. My next purchase will be a 40 SW conversion barrel to get around the ammo problem for classes.
Old June 29, 2012, 10:27 PM   #10
SerenityNetworks

That's good information. Thanks. I'm filing that away.

Sure, only a 10 will recoil like a 10. But what would be the next closest? Perhaps it is irrelevant but I'm curious (and away from pistols for a very long time).

I'm a relatively small guy, but for whatever reason I've never had an issue with recoil (shotguns, rifles, or pistols). But I'm all for utility and savings.

Thanks,
Andrew

Sent using Tapatalk 2
Old June 29, 2012, 10:42 PM   #11
The_Shadow

Be sure to consider the newer Gen 4 models with the grip panel replacements. I went with the G-29 and there are aftermarket barrels longer than the 3.78" stock. Although mine has the short barrel it is very accurate for a smaller package. Mine also sports conversion barrels for 40S&W, 357Sig and 9x25Dillon.

You might also consider visiting the new 10mm forum...
http://10mm-firearms.com
Old June 29, 2012, 10:44 PM   #12
AndyWest

Mmm probably the closest to 10mm recoil would be a revolver round, which I know doesn't help you I'd guess you're looking for a .40, which are becoming more popular thus cheaper rounds.
Old June 30, 2012, 01:10 AM   #13
bamaranger

llike mine

I've had an early G20 for several years now, and it has become my universal HD woods gun, retiring a 629 Mtn and a Ruger B-hawk .357. One of its big attributes is that it is flat and compact and totes easy. I do not worry about scratches, muck or dings. It ususally rides in a M84 flap holster, and I've fashioned a lanyard for it as well. I thas a 3.5 trigger and the stock fixed sights. Been super reliable to date.

For a stock, portable duty size auto pistol it is much gun, but not the equal of full house .41Mag as is sometimes touted. The 15+1 beans in the hand is a plus, but never been needed.

Loaded down, bamaboy shoots it in IDPA club matches. We are shopping for the Lone wolf .40 barrel. The .40 ammo and brass is more easily obtained. We hoard any 10mm brass at matches. Kinda neat though, nobody else shoots 10mm, so the 10 is ours. Guys always give us a few they've picked up. You can't say that about other cals. Another negative is that Glock rifling is not good with lead slugs. So if youi high volume shoot, the cost is up for jacketed slugs (loaded down, we've had good luck thus far with plated Raineers)

The advice on the grip is sound. They are big and some just can't manage or warm-up to them. But neither the boy or I have huge hands, and we manage the pistol fine.

I climb a few trees with it every season, but have not had a deer parade past that I could shoot.
Old June 30, 2012, 06:38 AM   #14
Mrgunsngear

I'm a big fan of my Gen4, a review video is below. I've got a Gen3 20 SF and Gen3 21 SF with conversion as well and the textured grip of the Gen4 is a big advantage for follow up shots (at least for me).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBIj5...&feature=inbox
Old June 30, 2012, 07:13 AM   #15
SerenityNetworks

Thank you everyone. I'm appreciating the input I am receiving here.

Sent using Tapatalk 2
Old June 30, 2012, 08:27 AM   #16
jmr40

I own a G-20 as well as a 21, 19X2, 26, 17, and assorted 1911's, revolvers, a Kel-tec P3-AT and a Sig. The G-20 is one of the last I'd sell, but it is also the one used the least. I like the gun and caliber, but feel for personal protection from 2 legged predators it is just more than I need. I have several other options that I consider better for that use.

The G-20 is my dedicated hiking/woods/camping pistol. It offers more power than I could get in an equal size 357 revolver with less weight, more reliablity in outdoors conditions, and less expense for 4 legged threats. With 16 rounds available it is also capable of working for 2 legged threats. It does double duty better than any other option I have.

For large game hunting one of my 44 mag revolvers would be a better option. As far as using it for hunting larger game it is capable of doing anything a 357 revolver would do. But if hunting were my primary purpose I'd still buy a revolver. I find the Glock to be more accurate in rapid fire SD situations, but a long barreled revolver more accurate for long range precision work.

In my opinion this is the reason the 10mm will always be a niche gun and never be mainstream. But that is OK with me. It fills an important niche in my collection and there are enough who need that niche filled that I feel comfortable that the guns and ammo will always be around.
Old June 30, 2012, 04:06 PM   #17
SerenityNetworks

Yeah, I fondly remember hunting with my dad and his single shot .44 magnum Thompson (Bearcat I think). An old girlfriend's dad had a long barreled .44 revolver that was a dream to shoot. I remember I couldn't believe how far away a can could be and I'd still nail it with that pistol. One of these days...

This was intended to be primarily for if I need a finishing shot on a hog, an alternative hunting gun for the right circumstances, and HD. I have two shotguns, one at each end of the house, that will be my primary HD weapons.

So that does make me think that maybe I should consider a revolver. Right now I can only afford one big bore pistol and I'm looking to stay close to $500, so anything will have some compromise to it. But would the Glock be that much less accurate at (let's say) less than 50 yards?

Sent using Tapatalk 2
Old June 30, 2012, 05:19 PM   #18
Mrgunsngear

Quote:
But would the Glock be that much less accurate at (let's say) less than 50 yards?
Mechanically? No. Practically? Maybe. The single action trigger pull of that revolver will be much lighter than the 5.5lb Glock factory pull. If you lighten the trigger, add a KKM or Storm Lake 6'' barrel, and change the sights you can get awesome accuracy out of a 10mm Glock. With the gun below, the best shooter I know hit a bowling pin 5 out of 6 shots with 155gr Gold Dot Underwood ammo at 100m. (I can't do this but he did--very impressive)

Old June 30, 2012, 05:24 PM   #19
testuser

The Glock 20 is probably one of my favorites. Mine is magnaported, which I really like. If you're into reloading, then you'll find it's about the same cost to shoot 10mm as .40 S&W.

A good conversion barrel to .40 S&W isn't a bad idea, either. The G20 is softer shooting then other Glock .40 S&W pistols thanks to it's heavier weight.

I had reliability problems with a G20 Lone Wolf barrel, so my advice is spend the extra money and get a KKM, mine has been 100%. 10mm magazines will feed and function with .40 S&W or .357 Sig ammo. I use a different spring for .40 S&W, but that's not necessary for all loads.
Old June 30, 2012, 05:58 PM   #20
frankgh

I have a 20SF Gen 3 and love it. I don't like gen 4 grips, too aggressive for me. I have been shooting Hornady 155 XTP on starline brass, CCI LPP and 12 grains of AA#7. I don't have a crono yet so I just load middle of the road and don't push things. At 7 yards, I get a nice 2 inch hole on the bull and at 15 yards all the rounds fall in the 6 ring or better. I have been away from shooting many years but this gun made it like riding a bike.

It serves for HD as well. There is a S&W 642 on my wife's nightstand and I have the G20. I seemed to have forgotten the Mossberg 500 next to the bed...

The bullet choice was based on the free 500 rounds I got from Hornady for buying a LnL press!
Old July 16, 2012, 09:56 AM   #21
SerenityNetworks

Thanks for all the great feedback. I am going to go with the Glock 20 SF. Yet I do have a follow up question.

I want to get a .40 barrel as-well-as a 10mm barrel. However, for the 10mm barrel I would like one that is 6". Can I buy a .40 and then put a 6" 10mm aftermarket barrel on it or is the frame/strength/build such that I really need to buy the pistol as a 10mm and then buy aftermarket barrels in both .40 and 10mm? (Obviously, I'm hoping for the former.)

Thanks again,
Andrew

NRA Life Member
------------------------
"There are some ideas so preposterous that only an intellectual will believe them." - Malcolm Muggeridge
Old July 16, 2012, 11:23 AM   #22
Mrgunsngear

Quote:
Can I buy a .40 and then put a 6" 10mm aftermarket barrel on it or is the frame/strength/build such that I really need to buy the pistol as a 10mm and then buy aftermarket barrels in both .40 and 10mm? (Obviously, I'm hoping for the former.)
Sorry, doesn't work that way. The length of the bullet wouldn't let you insert the mag in a Glock 22 for instance. Plus, the slide is thicker/stronger for the 10mm round.
Old July 16, 2012, 11:51 AM   #23
SerenityNetworks

(Sigh) I kind of figured, but for a few hundred bucks it was worth asking. I'll get the Model 20SF and then add the barrels as the budget allows.

Thanks,
Andrew

NRA Life Member
------------------------
"There are some ideas so preposterous that only an intellectual will believe them." - Malcolm Muggeridge
Old July 16, 2012, 07:22 PM   #24
TxFlyFish

10mm cost a lot to shoot and doesn't have development that goes into other defense calibers. Sometimes I just want to get hurt shooting a full power load but the large frame glock tames it so well that it takes out the fun at the range. Like another poster said ...I won't sell my g20SF but I don't shoot it much either
Old November 3, 2012, 09:23 PM   #25
FirstTimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstTimer
I was looking on information on the G20 & if it was really necessary to put on a different barrel to fire .40S&W using this gun. My google search led me to this post where you were showing off your G20 Gen4

I'd like to know how you got it and where I can get one. Glock's website has no info on a Gen4 G20.

One other thing, since you seem really knowledgeable, maybe you can tell me why a different barrel is necessary to fire the 40S&W rounds through the G20.

On a lot of the reloading sites it shows the same lead bullets for 10mm/.40S&W. Since it's the same size, why the need for a different barrel? Thanks for your help!

BTW, I am new to all this, but I've been doing a LOT of research.
It'd be great if you posted this over on my original thread so everyone could read it and benefit as others have asked this before as well. If you could do that when you get this I'd appreciate it.
Quote:
Originally posted by plouffedaddy
Is it necessary to use a different barrel? No. But you should. Reason being the chamber is a different length and the gap that will exist when firing 40 may lead to excessive pressure spikes in your barrel which is never good. Many have shot a lot of 40 in their 10mm but there are also some pics out there of guns that locked up after doing so---it's ultimately your choice.

Gen4 G20s are only available through the Blue Label (mostly LE/MIL) program currently. They won't be available to the general public until after Shot Show next year.
I originally e-mailed plouffedaddy directly about this rather than resurrect an old thread, but he said a lot of people have the same questions and to repost it on the thread that led me to message him. So....here it is!