The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 12, 2011, 08:32 PM   #1
arcticap

1841 Danish Kammerlader Pistol Video

Here's a video of the unique Danish .58 Kammerlader pistol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjzrUYgAzAI

There's also a web page with some photos and information about it:

http://ctmuzzleloaders.com/antique_g...merladers.html
Old May 12, 2011, 09:23 PM   #2
Zenkoji

Very interesting!

The sheer quantity and uniqueness of firearms from around the world still amazes me, and videos like this make sure I see something new all the time. Thanks for posting!
Old May 13, 2011, 05:18 PM   #3
sewerman

very cool and strange yet very simple breech loader of the era.

kinda reminds me of the screw barrel flintlock pistols that thomas jefferson received as a gift when President. the set was almost destroyed when the white house burnt in 1812.

the national riflemen asso. had the one survivor copied, the pair are on display in one of the museums in D.C.

barrels were brass, had a wrench that screwed off the barrel to load.

the baker rifle of the british army was around the same time maybe a bit earlier but the breech was lowered by a screw mechanism attached to the trigger guard.

i guess high cost & poor grades of G.P. causing fouling kept the breech loaders in the corner till the 1860s........

s.m.

"They that can give up an essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety!" Benjamin franklin

The Armed Citizen PREVENTS tyranny!
Old May 13, 2011, 05:58 PM   #4
g.willikers

Thanks for the video, I never knew of that one before.
When I was studying mechanical engineering in school, one of the instructors told the class that every engineer worthy of the name should study the designs of firearms.
All the different ways people have come up with, to launch projectiles, is mind boggling.
It's never boring, is it?
Old May 13, 2011, 11:24 PM   #5
arcticap

I asked the owner what the point blank range or trajectory curve was with that load and he replied:

According to my round ball ballistics calculator, if it was sighted in at 25 yards, the ball would hit about 9" low at 50 yards. If sighted in at 50 yards, it would be about 4 1/2 inches high at 25 yards. My guess is that they were sighted in at around 50 yards; these large balls were for stopping someone quickly at short range.