The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 8, 2011, 07:50 PM   #1
Newton24b

pietta 1860 factory nipples

only thing tight is a single percussion nipple/cone. think its merely the red grease they use dried up to much. two hours soaking in warm water and solvent got the grease out of the 5 cones that came out.

does anyone make a nipple wrench sized for the factory nipples? they are slightly too small for cc1 11 magnum caps, but othewise i like. just killed a brand new cva rifle/revolver nipple wrench due to the limited amount of material you can actually get too.

the insides are perfect, the only mismachined part i cna see is the grips.

and its a CH unless they switched how they make the letter A
Old May 8, 2011, 09:32 PM   #2
Smokin'Joe

Check this out:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=578275
Old May 9, 2011, 01:02 AM   #3
arcticap

I recommend the RMC revolver wrench, Rigthnour Mfg. Co. Part # ML063.
It has 2 sides with sizes for Remingtons and most Colts and is very hard.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Nipple-wrench-Re...item564360d595

It can also be purchased direct from RMC or visit the seller's eBay store and type nipple wrench into the search box. He also sells the ratchet wrench.

http://stores.ebay.com/Mile-High-Sho...id=p4340.l2563
Old May 9, 2011, 02:20 PM   #4
tpelle

I just received a new Pietta 1860 Army. The original nipples seemed to be perfect for Remington #11 caps. Unfortunately I only had part of one tin of them, and was quickly out. I tried CCI #10's, of which I have a full box of 1000, but they were too long, and the taper of the nipple prevented the cap from seating properly.

I looked all over, went to three stores, and nobody had any Remington #11 caps in stock.

I finally decided to take a spare set of nipples which I had laying around, clamp the nipple in my drill press, and use a file to dress them down so that the CCI #10's fit. When I tried a cap on them, however, I found that the CCI #10's fit perfectly! So I lucked out!
Old May 11, 2011, 01:50 AM   #5
Newton24b

workingon creating a new wrench from a socket wrench. not too bad to file, but am wondering on best way to get the right width of the slot for the nipple to go in.
Old May 11, 2011, 05:02 AM   #6
Doc Hoy

You might try this sequence.

1. Use a hacksaw to cut a slot into the very center of the socket. Important here to place the slot in the center accurately.

2. Gradually widen the notch with a triangular file until the opening is exactly as wide as the nipple you are trying to fit.

3. Square the opening with the edge of a small flat file.

Jeweler's files would work good for this process.
Old May 13, 2011, 01:42 AM   #7
MEATSAW

I made my nipple wrench using a 1/4" drive, 3/16" socket and a Dremel tool. It has defeated 6 completely frozen, rusted nipples and still in great shape. I wish I would have done it first instead of destroying 3 factory nipple wrenches.
Old May 13, 2011, 01:52 AM   #8
Newton24b

yaaaa

its a wonder what a file can do to a socket.

its out and the thing is, why cant they machine the cones to have a bit more surface area to engage the wrench?
Old May 13, 2011, 12:53 PM   #9
Doc Hoy

Newton

Excellent question and one I have wondered about as well. Be nice of all nipples were made like ROA nipples.

I am guessing that historical accuracy drives at least some of that decision although even that is hard to defend when you consider some of the stuff that is out there now.

For you CAS shooters, can you use a pistol in CAS if you have swapped the nipples for a modern version? I am thinking that if this were okay with the meet sponsors, there might be a market for replecement nipples that are made with a hex head rather than the cone and shoulder arrangement of the originals.

Maybe they are out there and I just never saw them. (Plenty of stuff I don't know)
Old May 17, 2011, 02:48 AM   #10
gl1200a

Excellent question and one I have wondered about as well. Be nice of all nipples were made like ROA nipples.

Ron Blomquist is producing them, I have them on my Piettas.
Blomquist percussion.