The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Closed Thread

Old May 2, 2011, 09:01 PM   #1
Hardy

Why did the South succeed from the Union

I'm not a Historian or a history professor but awhile back I posted letters that came from our family that are now in a book called"My Fathers Fields" James E Kibler. It was endorsed by Shelby Foote and was published by University SC Press in 1995. It is now on Penguin books in Paperback. If you are a southerner. youll luv it. I've had some off the wall liberals accusing us of being evil. Um-I wasn't there then. Anyway--those letters I tried to descifer are now in print in that book. I helped in finding old legers and papers etc. He claims the South was mis understood- But I don't know for sure. But I guess some came to argue that infant manufacturing in the north caused some bitternes w/ cotton trade to Europe and later border states growing with a Republican growing(no more slave states) Was that an excuse to fire out States rights? that the south didn't like etc etc. Or maybe the South was right!? But what was it really. Since the 150th deal on this it is obvious that the Union won and they are the ones that made history and of course their photo department was there for them. I wonder, if the south had a photo team....? But there is nothing positive so far as even giving the south some moral credit. Anyway, ----- here you go

WBHICKUP
Old May 2, 2011, 09:20 PM   #2
MJN77

I see this thread getting locked soon.
Old May 2, 2011, 09:46 PM   #3
SDC

Just a spelling nitpick before the lock-down; it's "secede", not "succeed". Whatever else the South may have done, it certainly didn't "succeed".
Old May 2, 2011, 09:52 PM   #4
4V50 Gary
Staff

Way off topic and it can cause a lot of passionate discussion that I don't particularly care to moderate over. Instead, might I suggest going to to CivilWarTalk as it is an excellent forum for discussions of this nature. The folks over there are very knowledgeable and well read in the subject matter.

Link

I also recommend reading James McPherson's book, Battle Cry of Freedom. It is the single best treatment of the war that I've ever read.