The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 6, 2005, 06:20 PM   #1
firedog68

I need an cheap 12ga for the house any ideas?

Looking to get a good but not too expensive 12 gauge for the house with pistol grip. What is a good one to get?

SUPPORT OUR TROUPS
GOD BLESS THE US
Old March 6, 2005, 06:49 PM   #2
HunterTRW

With shotguns (as with most other things in life) you generally get what you pay for. Would you risk your safety, or that of your family, on a "cheap" shotgun? I wouldn't, and I'll bet you wouldn't either.

My best recommendation is to stick with the time-proven name brands like Remington (e.g., their venerable Model 870 pump-gun) or Winchester. Take some time to visit your local gunshop and compare these with the "cheap" brands: the differences will be largely obvious. Ask questions about the reliability of each model, do your homework, and I'm certain that you will find a shotgun that you can both afford and rely upon.

Good luck, and good shooting!
Old March 6, 2005, 07:06 PM   #3
WillBrayjr

Don't count out Mossberg! They also make the Maverick line. Maverick is alright and can be found at www.ak-47man.com I believe around $150.00!
Old March 6, 2005, 07:18 PM   #4
JackHurst99

go around to local pawn shops. this time of the year i seem to be seeing alot of good shotguns for sale at cheap prices.
Old March 7, 2005, 02:27 AM   #5
mikikanazawa

Check out an EAA. They're cheap and real nice. I picked up a single shot (I know, not really an HD weapon, but bear with me) with real nice bluing, nice wood stock and a stainless receiver for $139. Their pump guns aren't much more money, but I haven't personally fired one.
Old March 7, 2005, 08:19 PM   #6
redhawk41

they're out there

i just picked up a wingmaster 870, 20" rifle sight smooth bore, wood stock, screw in choke, +3 extension, swivel studs, and side saddle at a local dealer.

$200

seek and ye shall discover
Old March 11, 2005, 09:16 AM   #7
Lucky 7

Hunt the pawn shops and used gun rack or even the classifieds. Found my LNIB Parkerized 590 ready for social work for $230. The seller luckily for me was a former Marine and gave me a deal.

Semper Fi!
-L7
-PMI Sgt. Hopkins, USMC
Old March 12, 2005, 07:39 PM   #8
rugerdude

The maverick 88 is a fine gun. It is basically a mossberg 500 with a simplified fore end and a safety on the trigger guard. I haven't had one malfunction in 500 rounds.

Not my quote but I agree completely.
Old March 18, 2005, 09:44 PM   #9
greg531mi

Used Shotguns are a dime a dozen around here, unless you want a riot gun, skeet, trap, or a rifled barrel one..... Seems no one goes small game hunting...
Old March 18, 2005, 09:55 PM   #10
sm

In all due respect please do a search in regard to PGO shotguns .

Any of the Big 4 shotguns with a full stock will serve one well for "serious situations". You can get some great buys on used ones, or Check with Academy Sports and similar places for specials that are run. Remember after the first shot - all guns are used.

Get a gun that fits YOU, get training, lessons and BA/UU/R - these are what a shotguner "bolts on first" -the basics.
Old March 18, 2005, 10:14 PM   #11
Wraith

Mossberg 590. Probably more than you need, mil-spec, but a tough and effective weapon. It will not fail you.

Never Forget 9/11.

Cold dead hands...
Old March 18, 2005, 10:45 PM   #12
deerhunter17

I was just at gander moutain today and they had lots of Rem. 870 from $150 to whatever you wanted to spend.