The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old September 29, 2010, 08:59 PM   #1
skydog1979

selling handgun out of state

I am selling a handgun from Missouri to Georgia. I am not a dealer. I have a friend who has his FFL who will ship it for me USPS to the buyers FFL. I understand I need a copy of the FFL where it is being shipped and I need to send a copy of my drivers license. Is it required that my guy (FFL) also send a copy of his FFL when it is shipped USPS? to the FFL in Georgia? My guy doesn't think it is requried since he is not selling the guy, but only shipping.Any thoughts?
Old September 29, 2010, 10:58 PM   #2
dogtown tom

Quote:
skydog1979 I am selling a handgun from Missouri to Georgia. I am not a dealer. I have a friend who has his FFL who will ship it for me USPS to the buyers FFL. I understand I need a copy of the FFL where it is being shipped and I need to send a copy of my drivers license. Is it required that my guy (FFL) also send a copy of his FFL when it is shipped USPS? to the FFL in Georgia? My guy doesn't think it is requried since he is not selling the guy, but only shipping.Any thoughts?
It doesn't matter if your dealer friend sold, traded, gave the gun away for free or if he's shipping it for himself or someone else.......it's a transfer and the procedure is exactly the same.

It is not required by any Federal law for the shipping dealer to enclose a copy of his FFL. It IS considered a professional courtesy and 99% of all dealers will include a copy with the gun. Only include your drivers license if YOU are actually shipping the gun. The receiving dealer is required by law to log the name and address of the person who shipped the gun- that's why a nonlicensee might include a copy of their DL if they were shipping it personally.

Ask your dealer friend if HE appreciates getting a copy of the FFL when he receives a firearm.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old September 30, 2010, 07:02 PM   #3
skydog1979

Thanks for your help; I appreciate it.
Old October 1, 2010, 07:28 AM   #4
blume357

I'm not sure 'you' need to send any of that.... you have a friend that is an FFL

who is going to send the handgun to the FFL in GA... the two FFLs will for sure figure out what they and you need to do.

Normally when a private individual ships a gun to an out of state FFL for transfer that FFL will require a copy of the persons DL with a signature under it in some colored ink.... but I'm pretty sure this is null and void when going between FFLs...

All I think you need to do is receive payment... secure it in the bank and give your FFL the gun and tell it where it needs to go and who it is for.
Old November 15, 2010, 02:01 PM   #5
Chesster

Where can you find the legaleze to back this up??????
Vote 'Pro-Choice' on 2nd Amendment issues!!!
Old November 15, 2010, 07:55 PM   #6
dogtown tom

Quote:
Chesster Where can you find the legaleze to back this up??????
http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text....1.2.3&idno=27

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE