The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 12, 2015, 03:09 PM   #1
BirchOrr

A.S.M. 58

This one I got a while back. Had to have it as I had simply never seen one like it. Not saying there isn't one. It is pretty and cool. I guess that makes it pretty cool!

It is an ASM imported by CVA and the barrel is stamped by both companies. It never had been fired. Of course I had to shoot it and it is a shooter!

Nothing super special but then... every new BP pistol/rifle you add to the arsenal has it's special place and is proudly displayed like soldiers standing at attention.

All the best,

Birch
Black Powder: Not because it is easy, but because it is hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win...
Old May 12, 2015, 04:01 PM   #2
CameronP

Love that bluing turned plum color. Fantastic grips. Beautiful revolver. Congrats.
Old May 12, 2015, 04:12 PM   #3
BirchOrr

Thanks, the pic does not do justice to what a beautiful plumb color the frame really is.

Thanks again,

Birch
Black Powder: Not because it is easy, but because it is hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win...
Old May 12, 2015, 05:09 PM   #4
Doc Hoy

Yes, All.

Every once in a while you see the plum color. I have a Rogers and Spencer from ASM that seems to be changing colors. When I bought it I put it in a case next to some Remingtons. It was noticably redder than the other pistols. But now the red is even more pronounced.

I am confident that someone on the forum know the origin of the reddish color. It ain't me, babe.

BTW Birch, good to see your post too.
Old May 12, 2015, 05:26 PM   #5
BirchOrr

Great to hear from you Doc!

Kindest regards,

Birch
Old May 13, 2015, 11:47 AM   #6
noelf2

My Uberti 1858 carbine has a blued plum colored frame just like that. Came that way new though. Not sure how they did that, or if they all have that plum color, but I like it !
Old May 13, 2015, 03:29 PM   #7
wogpotter

DW revolvers with the plum colored bluing are called "Barney" guns!
I quite like the 2-tone effect!

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”

Last edited by wogpotter; May 14, 2015 at 03:42 PM. Reason: Kant spel fer krap
Old May 14, 2015, 09:59 AM   #8
CameronP

Doc:
I have a couple Santa Barbara 58s with the same plum color. I've also seen a few older replicas with the same plum color. My theory is that the color change is a function of the blueing aging on the receiver that (may) have a different steel formulation. Kinda like patina.
Old May 14, 2015, 01:55 PM   #9
noelf2

I'll have to post a picture of my Uberti carbine. I bought it new from Cabelas about 4 or 5 years ago. It was plumb blue when I got it. I'll have to look at the SN and figure date of manufacture, but I can pretty much confirm it isn't a patina thing with mine.
Old May 14, 2015, 03:09 PM   #10
AKexpat

Have to ask a stupid Q:

Is it "plumb" blue or "plum" blue.

Not trying to be a jerk, as I am in possession of two plumb bobs (carpentry tools) that are plum blue.

Just wondering...
To be governed – is to be watched, inspected, directed, indoctrinated, numbered, estimated, regulated, commanded, controlled, law-driven, preached at, spied upon, censured, checked, valued, enrolled – by creatures who have neither the right, nor the wisdom, nor the virtue to do so. - Pierre-Joseph Proudhon
Old May 14, 2015, 03:41 PM   #11
wogpotter

Plum, like the fruit is correct.
That's why so many of my posts reason for editing is "Kant spel fer nutin"

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old May 14, 2015, 06:13 PM   #12
noelf2

The dagum thing is plumb plum colored.
Old May 14, 2015, 06:36 PM   #13
deerslayer303

Very pretty Revolver. Love the color and grips.
Old May 14, 2015, 06:37 PM   #14
noelf2

Birch here's the carbine that matches your revolver....

Attached Images
File Type: jpg rem.jpg (210.8 KB, 99 views)

Last edited by noelf2; May 14, 2015 at 06:43 PM.
Old May 15, 2015, 08:36 PM   #15
Bishop Creek

noelf2,
How does your carbine shoot with that Howell conversion cylinder? Any problems? Thinking about getting one.
Old May 16, 2015, 07:41 PM   #16
noelf2

Mine does ok if I load them myself. I first tried 250gr rnfp with BP, Trailboss, and Unique, but I wasn't happy with it. I started using 200gr rnfp with Trailboss, and the group tightened considerably. Haven't messed much with it lately though. Nice that I don't get percussion cap shrapnel in the face with it.

So you know, I had a problem at first in that the hand was not pushing the ratchet on the howell far enough to get a good lockup unless I really cocked it fast (inertia). I bought a replacement hand and spring to mess with, and it worked perfectly with no modification. BP cylinder still works good too. YMMV
Old May 16, 2015, 09:21 PM   #17
BirchOrr

wow...

Seeing that picture of the matching carbine,really tripped my trigger! I wish I owned it! Very cool.

Barney gun? That is just simply too funny! Lol!

Thanks so much for all of your excellent replies!

All the best,

Birch
Old May 16, 2015, 09:33 PM   #18
BirchOrr

This is so interesting to me because I have never seen these plum colored revolvers come up on this forum before. Now, I see some surfacing out of the woodwork. Very cool and exactly what I was looking for! Outstanding gentleman. Thank you so much!

Birch