The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Closed Thread

Old August 3, 2013, 09:26 AM   #51
Torch

My LGS, AJC Sports, did the same thing. They are dead to me.

For those of you that defend the gougers as just supply and demand guys I would say you're absolutely right. However, the street runs both ways.

Do they have the right to gouge when demand increases and supply remains constant and despite the fact that they are paying the same for their product? Sure they do. Do I and others have the right to feel taken advantage of by these practices, especially when others don't follow suit, thereby giving us reputable alternatives? Yep

You guys can defend the gougers all you want. Me and my dollars will go elsewhere.

Last edited by Torch; August 3, 2013 at 09:32 AM.
Old August 3, 2013, 09:27 AM   #52
Grizz12

Quote:
Quote:
Would you pay $50 for a pound of powder?
Not until it's evident that is the going rate. I keep largish stockpiles, and don't get my shorts in a wad at someone else running their business the way they want. I don't even hold No Gun signs against proprietors.
online powders range in price $18-25/lb
PLUS $25 hazmat fee
PLUS regular S&H charges

These will bring you up to $50/lb quickly
Old August 3, 2013, 09:31 AM   #53
Grizz12

Quote:
My LGS, AJC Sports, did the same thing. They are dead to me.

For those of you that defend the gougers as just supply and demand guys I would say you're absolutely right. However, the street runs both ways.

Do they have the right to gouge when demand increases and supply remains constant despite the fact that they are paying the same for their product? Sure they do. Do I and others have the right feel taken advantage of by these practices, especially when others don't follow suit, thereby giving us reputable alternatives? Yep

You guys can defend the gougers all you want. Me and my dollars will go elsewhere.
by defending the right of retailers to charge whatever they want, IS NOT forcing you or anyone else to buy at their establishment. Thats what makes this Country free and unlike any other in the world (at least for now??)

Its called the free market - they can charge whatever they want and you can shop wherever you choose to shop
Old August 3, 2013, 11:50 AM   #54
MJFlores

The thing that's someone bothersome, and it's really a complex issue is, people actually defend the price gougers. Sure, in a free market people can charge whatever they want...but thats a silly thing to do. Expectation os great customer service used to drive business from the consumer end. Sadly, people are putting up with and even accepting very poor customer service. A large part of good customer service is giving the customer a great experience, and that includes a fair price. Define "fair price"? It's the price as good as better than one can get somewhere else. Walmart became the giant it is (as well as Sears, JC Penney, etc) by offering the lowest price they could and now they're a highly recognizable brand and more importantly still in business! These fly by night operations who are price gouging are taking advantage of people who expect and even put up with poor customer service. When Sears was building their empire who do you think was dumb enough to have higher prices? Nobody, or they quickly went out of business. I just cant fathom anyone sticking up for price gouging. It's kinda like standing up in a crowd and saying "hey look at me everyone...I like to pay too much for things..yippee". It doesn't make any sense. I don't even want to say what that makes you LOL!
Old August 3, 2013, 12:28 PM   #55
Grizz12

Quote:
The thing that's someone bothersome, and it's really a complex issue is, people actually defend the price gougers. Sure, in a free market people can charge whatever they want...but thats a silly thing to do. Expectation os great customer service used to drive business from the consumer end. Sadly, people are putting up with and even accepting very poor customer service. A large part of good customer service is giving the customer a great experience, and that includes a fair price. Define "fair price"? It's the price as good as better than one can get somewhere else. Walmart became the giant it is (as well as Sears, JC Penney, etc) by offering the lowest price they could and now they're a highly recognizable brand and more importantly still in business! These fly by night operations who are price gouging are taking advantage of people who expect and even put up with poor customer service. When Sears was building their empire who do you think was dumb enough to have higher prices? Nobody, or they quickly went out of business. I just cant fathom anyone sticking up for price gouging. It's kinda like standing up in a crowd and saying "hey look at me everyone...I like to pay too much for things..yippee". It doesn't make any sense. I don't even want to say what that makes you LOL!
You have NO idea how a business runs.

The Mart's, sears, etc... have a business model that reflect high volume/low margin.

A "fair" price is whatever the customer is willing to pay for goods or services, PERIOD!

The Marts and JC Penny's have the ability to buy in bulk and sell lower than the small guys. They also have terrible service because they cant afford to pay quality employees and still keep prices low.

I am a business owner, I am the most expensive in my area for the service I provide and I have plenty of work. The lower priced guys come and go every year because they cant come close to offering the quality service I offer my customers.

I understand how businesses operate and why they fail
Old August 3, 2013, 01:48 PM   #56
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

This one's gone far enough.
Closed Thread