The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 8, 2013, 11:50 PM   #1
AL45

Overall length too short at crimp groove

I just shot some 7.35mm reloads from a LGS and am getting ready to reload them myself. I meant to measure them before I fired all of them, but did not. The minimum OAL according to the LEE manual is 2.893. I made a dummy and seated it to the crimp groove and it measures 2.78. If I go any longer there won't be a lot of bullet in the case. The case is trimmed to the correct length. If I use the starting load, do you see a problem seating them to 2.78?
Old July 9, 2013, 06:42 AM   #2
PA-Joe

You should not have a problem. What length does the bullet maker recommend? Each set of data you see inlcuding the LEE is based on a specific bullet. If you change bullets or bullet makers you will need a different length.
Old July 9, 2013, 09:55 AM   #3
Unclenick
Staff

AL45,

The Lee manual (2nd ed.) lists 2.894" as COL on it's drawing of the cartridge. It is a maximum and not a minimum. All cartridge drawing dimensions are normally maximums, not minimums. They have a unilateral minus tolerance and no plus tolerance, as is the convention in engineering drawings where it is more critical not take a dimension too far in one direction than in the other. In the case of cartridges, they have to fit in chambers, so it is more critical that they not be too big to fit, which prevents functioning altogether, than if they are a little too small, in which case they will function fine, though they may produce a little less accuracy than a perfect fit does.

In the case of COL, in particular, the maximum dimension is mainly to insure the cartridge will not be too long to fit in a magazine.

For the same reason of fit, chamber dimension drawing tolerances are done just the opposite way. The chamber drawing dimensions are all minimums with a + tolerance because a too small chamber would prevent functioning altogether, where a slightly too large one will not.

Just use your cannelure at the case mouth unless you have a feed problem with it.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle

Last edited by Unclenick; July 11, 2013 at 07:48 AM. Reason: typo fix
Old July 9, 2013, 07:28 PM   #4
AL45

Good information, thanks.