The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old August 31, 2016, 12:02 AM   #1
AlphaHunter88

Ammo Help for .223 CVA Elite Stalker

I bought a CVA Elite Stalker (heavy barrel) .223 Remington from my favorite LGS recently. Still have to outfit it with the CVA scope mount and a decent hunting optic. I plan to use this rifle as a back-up to my pair of 30-06s, and for the wife when she goes to the deer stand (which amounts to 5-6x a year, max.) Before you go blasting the .223 as "an underpowered caliber for deer," spare me the argument. I know better. Shot placement and having the right ammo is the key. I refuse to take anything less than a stellar shot opportunity and I've engrained that same philosophy into the Mrs. That brings me to the burning question of what factory ammo would best suit southeastern whitetail out of this gun. I'm completely inexperienced with this or any other centerfire .22 cal. My experiences are limited to .24 caliber and up. I'm looking for a good flat shooting soft point that still has enough meat on it to create an acceptable wound channel and offer the best penetration. Also looking for something that is easy to find at big box stores. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old August 31, 2016, 07:27 AM   #2
Boogershooter

The heavier the better but my son's rifles like the 62 grain fusions. The 64 grain winchester power points aren't bad and usually about the cheapest.
Old August 31, 2016, 08:00 PM   #3
Dranrab

Look no further than Fusions.
Old September 1, 2016, 12:01 PM   #4
upstate81

I have used the 64 grain winchester power points and the barnes vor-tx 55 grain tsx ammo. The barnes is a lighter pill but the performance was better and they were much more accurate. Cost was roughly the same maybe 25 a box for the barnes.
Old September 1, 2016, 12:16 PM   #5
T. O'Heir

"...what factory ammo..." You'll have to try a box of as many brands as you can with the right bullet to find the ammo your rifle shoots best. The price of said ammo means nothing.
Fortunately, there is no longer a shortage of good .22 calibre deer bullets.
You have any idea what the rifling twist is? CVA disavows any knowledge of a .223 Elite Stalker. Guy on another forum said he was getting .75" groups with Winchester 64 grain SP's.
Old September 2, 2016, 07:27 AM   #6
taylorce1

50-55 grain TTSX-TSX bullets do an excellent job on deer. However, it doesn't matter what bullet you use a .223 will create a small entrance wound and if it exits not a very large hole again. Don't expect great blood trails with a .223, but if hit properly with a .223 deer don't get far if anywhere at all.

I wouldn't hesitate to use any of the 60+ grain ammunition offered either. Looks like CVA uses a 1:10 twist so any ammo mentioned so far shouldn't be an issue.
Old September 2, 2016, 09:07 AM   #7
AlphaHunter88

Yes this rifle has a Bergara heavy barrel with a 1:10 twist rate. I do like the idea of the Fusions with that 62 grain spitzer. I've never been let down by any Federal ammo. Even their cheap stuff blows away Winchester PP and Remmy Core Lokts. I've also been intrigued by the Barnes, so I may try them out. In theory, with such a small caliber I'd tend to lean towards a heavier weight. The 62 grain Fusions seem like a happy medium with acceptable velocity and energy.
Old September 2, 2016, 09:13 AM   #8
AlphaHunter88

I can't find a lot of info on the internet concerning this rifle, but there seems to be slightly more results with larger bore versions. It has "Elite Stalker" acid etched on the receiver, and the barrel is stamped .223 REM.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CVA-Its-Just-A-Better-Gun-1398087688.jpg (28.3 KB, 16 views)
Old September 2, 2016, 12:11 PM   #9
Dranrab

My bud has the exact same rifle you do. He got it for $144 on closeout at Academy! His loves the Fusion ammo. It shoots darn near 1/2 inch groups. Those bullets shut deer down post haste.