The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 27, 2012, 07:15 PM   #1
hounddawg

204, RL10, 34 gr dogtown load starting load

found about 400 34 grain Dogtowns in the back of my bullet drawer. I used them for barrel break in last year with TAC and Varget but could never get them to shoot all that tight.

I want to see how they do with RL10 which does a great job on the Sierra 32's and 39's. Unfortunately the Alliant site does not list any loads for RL10x and noting for 34 grain bullets at all. The Sierra load guide give a RL 10starting load of 22.8 for the 32 grain and a starting load of 21.6 for the 39 grain bullet. Does a starting load of around 22.0 sound reasonable?
Old December 27, 2012, 10:30 PM   #2
A_Gamehog

Click this link, eveybody's factory data in one location. Sierra had load data using reloader 10X

http://www.204ruger.com/204_data.php
Old December 28, 2012, 06:08 AM   #3
hounddawg

thanks Gamehog but I there is no data for the 34 grain bullets there, that was one of the first places I looked. I really don't think there is any, closest thing I can find is 35 grain Bergers and no RL 10 data for them. I think 22.0 should be a good start point and I will just do a ladder from there. Might just pick up a jug of 3031 and use the Berger data
Old December 28, 2012, 07:11 AM   #4
PawPaw

Alliant doesn't list any loads for Reloder 10x, but Alliant's online data is crazy to navigate. However, the linked data at 204ruger.com shows a starting load of 21.6 for the 39 grain Sierra. So, we fall back on the old rule that you can step down in bullet weight with the starting load and keep pressures safe, and yeah, a 22.0 grain starting load might be okay with a 34 grain bullet. Go slow, watch for pressure, and do all the other safe stuff. Be careful.

If you wait a while before you start, maybe someone with QuickLoad will chime in.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old December 28, 2012, 08:11 AM   #5
hounddawg

a quickload post is sort of what I was hoping for, but if not bumping down the 32 grain load should work. We are only talking about a 2 grain bullet weight difference after all.

edit...just weighed 25 of them, 21 were 34.0 on the money, 4 were 34.1. I sure hope I can get a load worked up that will shoot .5 or better, these are about half the price of the Sierras

Last edited by hounddawg; December 28, 2012 at 08:19 AM.