The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 10, 2011, 11:13 AM   #1
the Black Spot

pawn shop finds....?

Walked into a pawn shop, brass framed rem and. 44 cal 51's - $250 each
Cva kit 1860 with navy grip still in the white with surface rust -$250
think they will sell?
Old March 10, 2011, 12:00 PM   #2
junkman_01

They are very proud of them!
Old March 10, 2011, 12:02 PM   #3
noelf2

They'll sell, but not for the listed price...
Old March 10, 2011, 12:47 PM   #4
Hardcase

Pawn shops are funny places...
Old March 10, 2011, 01:39 PM   #5
CameronP

I've never paid the list price on items from my local pawn shops.
Most of the time when I counter-offer with a lowball price, a reasonable selling price is reached. If not, I pass on the deal.
Old March 10, 2011, 03:46 PM   #6
ClemBert

Pawn shops are useless around here for firearms. Most of them will not deal at all with firearms. The one that do just look up the value in the gun blue book and slap a sticker on them. With regards to black powder firearms they turn folks away and tell them to go to the local black powder firearms shop...who then jacks up the price on anything they take in.

Last edited by ClemBert; March 10, 2011 at 06:12 PM.
Old March 10, 2011, 05:03 PM   #7
Doc Hoy

All a you guys + 1

I have never seen a good deal in a pawn shop with the exception of two Colt 2nd Gen/3rd Gen revolvers. The guy did not know what he had and let them go for what would be considered reasonable for a 30 year old Pietta equivalent. The dealer had purchased a collection (accumulation?) from a fellow but most of it was ASM, ASP, and other Italian manufs. Only these two Colts had any real value. The broker's assumption was that they were no different from the other pistols in the lot. And of course I was not about to clue him in.
Old March 10, 2011, 11:16 PM   #8
CameronP

Doc:
Were you able to look at yourself in the mirror???
Old March 11, 2011, 06:46 AM   #9
Doc Hoy

You bet I can!

I asked the guy (this was a phone deal since the pawn shop was in South Carolina and I am in Virginia) what he had to have for the pistols. He told me. I came back with an offer that was somewhere around 60% of his asking price. He said it was cool so I paid him with paypal and he shipped me the revolvers.

Colt Pocket 2nd Gen no box no papers, Finish about 95% for 75.00
Colt 1861 3rd Gen no box no papers, Finish about 95% for 100.00

This was about two years ago. Since then I have hit pawn shops a lot but I have never found anything that was even close to reasonable nor could I get the dealer to move on prices. What I have seen is in poor condition.
Old March 11, 2011, 10:26 AM   #10
CameronP

Deals like that are like gold. It's not where you look it's where you find it.
That's why I keep searching.
Old March 11, 2011, 11:32 AM   #11
Doc Hoy

Cameron

Precisely an it is also why I continue to visit gunshows even though in Virginia, gunshows have been largely a bust.
Old March 11, 2011, 03:54 PM   #12
AlanS

There's only one pawn shop here that regularly deals in firearms, and they are very knowledgeable and generally have good, but not great, prices. I've only bought a couple guns from them, one I didn't bother haggling as the price was quite a bit lower than I had seen anywhere else, the other I haggled and got about 20% off the sticker.
Old March 20, 2011, 07:10 PM   #13
Hardy

Every gun that someone brought in my store that they got in pawn shop was either a pietta or cva brass navy. They wanted me to buy them or trade. They were all dirty and rusty and barely operational and supposedly the average price they paid for them was 90 to 100. I think there are a lot of these in pawn shops but DOC you were lucky to find those
Old March 21, 2011, 09:21 AM   #14
Andy Griffith

Quote:
Pawn shops are useless around here for firearms
Clembert,

I guess I walked into of your local pawn shops two weeks ago in Orlando while down there seeing friends and bought three guns. Two T/C traditional rifles which were like new for $150.00 (together) plus tax, and a Beretta FS-1 12ga for $140.00.

I guess you were asleep that day, or perhaps it was because I ate all my breakfast.

I've come to believe that not all pawn shops are created equal, and they will slip up sometimes- I just want to be there when they do.
Old March 21, 2011, 09:30 AM   #15
ClemBert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Griffith
I guess I walked into of your local pawn shops two weeks ago in Orlando while down there seeing friends and bought three guns.
Kewl, good find!

What are the names of the Pawn Shops so I can check them out too?
Old March 21, 2011, 09:38 AM   #16
Andy Griffith

The one I got them at was in a more shady part of town my friend told me after the fact. It was on 441 (Orange Blossom Trail?) just north of the 408 toll road a mile or two on the left (may have been more that that, maybe 3-4 miles since I got to thinking. A couple of them didn't do guns)- I don't know the name, but I hit three shops up through there and an army navy store. I'll look up the receipt if I can find it.
Old March 21, 2011, 09:44 AM   #17
ClemBert

Yeah, certain parts of 441, aka OBT, are scary. Sounds like the perfect place to pick up some "discarded" firearms. Wouldn't doubt the pawn trades to get cash for hookers and drugs over there. Check out your receipts and get back to me on the names of the places. I'll swing on by next time I'm on that side of town. Better remember to put to good use that CWP.
Old March 21, 2011, 10:58 AM   #18
Rifleman1776

Sounds like pawn shop practices vary around the country. In my part of the woods guns are the staple of the pawn trade. Good places to find sporting guns. Exotic stuff doesn't usually show up in them. Do dicker on price. 50% below asking is not unusual. The shop owners really want to turn their 'stuff' into cash.
Old March 21, 2011, 11:06 AM   #19
Hardcase

What Rifleman1776 said goes out here in the wilds of Idaho. What I've found is that the pawn shops here know to the penny what a hunting gun is worth, but get a little confused over anything else. Thus, it's possible to find something like an early Winchester 1894 for a couple of hundred bucks at one shop and virtually the same gun for a grand at another.

I get the feeling with most of the shops around here, cash flow is the key. If they can move it quick, they'll make a good deal, but if it sits around, they may be more inclined to wait for a sucker. It's a strange business...