The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 17, 1999, 01:24 AM   #1
Christopher

I recently picked up my first "real" bolt gun. Weatherby Accumark .30-378. I noticed that, while the barrel IS free floated, it is not perfectly centered in the handgaurd portion of the stock. The clearence on one side is noticeably more than on the other side, but it does not touch the barrel. Since I haven't fired it yet, I was wondering if this would have an adverse effect on accuracy, and/or wether or not I should have a professional take a look at it. Thanks in advance for any help.
Old July 17, 1999, 06:57 AM   #2
Mikey

If the forearm doesn't touch the barrel then it's a cosmetic problem and not an accuracy problem. Technically you could cut the forearm off and it wouldn't matter.

You might still want to get it checked because the misalignment may be indicative of a poorly bedded action. But most likely it's just fine and the off-center gaps are just a sign of modern day quality control (or the lack there-of). Imagine what a problem it would create if it were NOT free floated!

Mikey
Old July 18, 1999, 09:33 PM   #3
B Shipley

I believe that Colt now owns Weatherby, so that explains it.
Old July 19, 1999, 05:09 PM   #4
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I agree with Mikey that the problem is probably cosmetic.

Is it free-floated all the way? If so, and you don't get the groups you think you should, you might consider installing one of those nylon "dampers" near the fore-end. While not always needed, for some rifles they help tighten the groups.