The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old July 26, 2011, 08:16 PM   #26
adrians

the "s' simply stands for spitzer , the bullet dia would be circa .322---.323..
the reason i say i don't shoot 8js ammo in my gews is 98's have a third locking lug on the bolt the gew88 doesn't and the 98's also have venting holes in the bolt to ensure the shooter isn't hurt from gases from a case rupture,the 88 bolts are not as sophisticated, there is also the split bridge affair on the gew .
when it all boils down to it in theory you can shoot .323 in your 88 ,how does that saying go?,,,,, "if it chambers easilly enough it's good to go" or something like that ,anyway i choose not to.
if you pull a bullet from a commercial say win / rem 8mm and mic it you will find it measures closer to .321, for fear by makers of people shooting their ammo in the 88's (it's a lawer thing!).
all my 88 have no "s" on the reciever so they are not reamed to accept the .323( although they probably will ).
the circle z was a czech stamp and most of the rifles with this stamp were sent to south america, and the bore dia on these rifles can run as tight as .316.
when the turks got hold of your 88 they re-chambered it for the spitzer and it probably shot .323 all it.s service life.
me i'm a wuss so i cast up to a .321 bullet and load light at around 1200-1400 fps ( no need for a g/c at these vel either).
sorry for wandering a bit but i tend to do that alot.
Old July 26, 2011, 08:37 PM   #27
8mm

i got some romanian rounds from 55 i was told i could shot them because they are not hot loads. so i could shot us commercial throught it if i have to.
Old July 27, 2011, 06:02 AM   #28
adrians

romanian ammo (i also have some of that ) is not as hot as the turk fodder you should be o.k with that ,but remember to clean real good when done cos the mil-surp ammo more often than not uses berdan primers which are corrosive so a good clean with water to nuetralize the residue is in order,.
yes, commercial ammo is purposely downloaded for just this kind of situation it will be o.k to shoot in your gew88 (lower pressure than european ammo and the use of a .321 dia pill),
like i mentioned it;s a lawyer thing.
have a great day and shoot forward
Old July 27, 2011, 10:01 AM   #29
F. Guffey

You have a rifle that is 130 years old, your rifle could be a cobbled together rifle that was updated for use with the local guard 105 years ago, you are contemplating shooting ammo that is hot for a rifle in good shape by today's standard???? Me? I would not shoot that rifle if it was the only rifle I had.

Because a collector/shooter/reloader was told by forms and his smith a .318 Mauser head space gage was not available, I made a set for him, the gages went from .000 to + .024 over a full length/minimum length sized case, he had two 88s, one with .024 thousands head space and another at .018 head space, the .024 he hung on the wall and then wanted to know how to load for the .018, after checking all of his Mausers for head space, he was surprised that so many were .008 or less, one gage fit both chambers.

F. Guffey
Old July 27, 2011, 11:05 AM   #30
8mm

where do you get the head space guage everything on it is tight nothing is worn or loose. how hurt do you get if you blow a case. what is the point of the cleaning rod and the rifle i got has regular bluing and redish bluing why is this.

Last edited by 8mm; July 27, 2011 at 11:21 AM.
Old July 27, 2011, 01:39 PM   #31
8mm

what does the letter (i) mean under the serial number.

Last edited by 8mm; July 27, 2011 at 03:56 PM.
Old July 31, 2011, 09:42 PM   #32
rdf.hack

I got myself 140 rounds of '43 Turkish 8MM on strippers in ammo packs. Very clean looking ammo, can't wait to shoot it. Comparing the head stamps between it and yours, you definitely have Turkish 8MM.

8mm,

You should get a VZ-24 or Yugo Mauser from JG Sales, they're beater rifles but will be a more pleasant shooter, and can shoot all matter of ammo, the 88 commission is a wall hanger. Those VZs and Yugos are so common that you can customize it into a very nice shooter, for a cheap price.

Also, I implore you to use capitalization and grammar, sometimes I can't even understand you.
Old August 3, 2011, 01:39 AM   #33
8mm

imv beenlooking at them vz 24's ill chech it out. i shot the gewehr 1888 over the weekend love it.