The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 23, 1999, 12:45 PM   #1
cornered rat

I am contemplating the acquisition of an old 12ga Remington 11. It comes with a 26" barrel and is comfortable to shoot. However, I'd like to check a few details first:

- does anyone make 18,5" barrels for it? Would the gun still cycle right with a shorter barrel?

- Being recoil operated, the gun must be held steady to cycle, a potential problemfor hip shots...would a gas operated shotgun cycle properly even if held unsteadily?

- Any reason why recoiling barrel design is no longer used? [Guess this question is like "why doesn't anyone use MP40-type telescoping bolt anymore?"]

-Any modern autoloading alernatives that go for under $200 and function? The one I tried would run $120 but I am concerned about parts availablity.

-I have seen Remington 11 in 20ga...would it kick less? 12ga is cheaper to feed and has slightly more effect...but I'd rather go for comfort level over cheap ammo.

- As any gun I own, it has to be at least marginally usable as a defense weapon...anything about that type of gun that would disqualify it?

- Finally, can I slip a shell into the chamber and leave it that way, as I can with my handguns? Will it fire if I drop/shake/verbally abuse the gun?

------------------
If you believe in freedom and means of protecting it...you might be a gun nut.
http://ddb.com/RKBA
Old January 26, 1999, 07:33 PM   #2
GLV

The Remington 11 is a good gun. There are little in accessories for it.

Like most shotguns, IT IS NOT DROP SAFE WITH A SHELL IN THE CHAMBER! I know of no shotguns that use a firing pin block -- that does not mean that none exist, just I have not run into any.

Recoil depends on two factors -- weight of ejecta, and weight of firearm.

Parts for the 11 may be a problem.

Last, if reliability is critical, buy a good pump, Mossberg or Remington. GLV
Old January 26, 1999, 09:35 PM   #3
cornered rat

I just bought the gun. The dealer has fixed it up for me and let me test-fire it before I bought it. I can fit four 2 3/4 inch shells into the tube...is that right or should it hold five?

The gun is fairly old...what kind of ammo is safe in it? I ran a half-box of pheasant #6 loads through it, no KB yet <g> The choke is modified...

------------------
If you believe in freedom and means of protecting it...you might be a gun nut.
http://ddb.com/RKBA
Old January 27, 1999, 01:53 PM   #4
olegunftr

Dont shoot steel shot in it, you will quickly "iron" the choke out of it. The browning 5 is still recoil operated

------------------
Vinny

Old February 3, 1999, 05:22 AM   #5
Ray VanderLinden

Heres a tip. NEVER EVER push the barrel back toward the reciever when the gun is loaded. If you push hard enough it WILL fire. This is true of any Auto 5 clone. Four rounds in the mag is right Five total ie. Auto 5.

Good Gun you just need to remember it's design limitations, as with all weapons.
Old November 11, 2005, 10:06 PM   #6
fspic

I have a Rem 11 or two - or was it two barrels (one w/ poly choke) plus spare parts? Maybe I'/m thinking about my 1911 Winchester (which must be barrel-stroked to load the first round, thereby getting around the Browning semi-auto patent.> A friend has one in 16 with a Cutts and he got that one from me.

My latest rem 11 12 ga. has a spotty (putting it charitably) bore. Guy who sold it kept saying. "take a look at the bore" - which I finally did though I didn't expect it to be good. Some pitting and general crepidulation and as well in the chamber. That can be cured with an overbore job and new forcing cones. chamber can be cut and lined or just say "screw it" and schmoozle in a pool of hot liquid silver solder or something which you know you can cut and re-ream to better condition.

Gun fired OK but I had get used to the sound of all the parts scraping back and forth. Some baked on moly lube and other treatment would help. Reach me at [email protected] if you have any special needs or fiendishments for these guns.