The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 25, 2014, 07:45 AM   #1
CockNBama

Tightening choke in 1100

New 1100 28ga, with extended tubes. The manual says to use the wrench to remove a tube, but there was no wrench provided with the gun.

Additionally, the manual doesn't mention a wrench when describing how to tighten the tube.

Finally, the tubes I've used so far loosen with every round or two fired. I crank them down by hand, but I'm wondering about this.

There are no slots in the tube to accept the kind of wrench I have now.

Appreciate any insights...
Old February 25, 2014, 08:51 AM   #2
Spats McGee
Staff

Welcome to TFL.

Does the choke look like the one in this ebay auction? If so, it's a RemChoke, for which a special wrench is made. I'd look here. I don't know about 28 ga, but I think you can use a quarter to remove or tighten a 12 ga RemChoke. You might try some other change to see if it'll fit the 28 ga.
Old February 25, 2014, 08:52 AM   #3
eastbank

are you sure the tubes are for the rem?, my rem 1100 sporting 28ga came with choke tubes and a wrench. the threads on the chokes are on the top end of the choke and have four notches for the wrench that has a t-handle and a hard rubber tapered section thats slit and goes into the choke with four metal studs that engage the notches in the choke tube. eastbank
Old February 25, 2014, 10:43 AM   #4
CockNBama

No, Spats and east bank

My tubes don't look like the one in that eBay offering, and I'm not sure they are remchokes. They sure came with the gun.

They are extended chokes with knurled surfaces, no slots at the muzzle, and no wrench came in the package.

The gun is not the sporting model. It has a satin or oiled wooden stock, and the receiver and barrel are fairly crudely finished, similar to Parkerized.
Old February 25, 2014, 01:41 PM   #5
Spats McGee
Staff

Do they look like the ones here? Or maybe here?

This is the only thing I could find that really looked responsive to my googling of "Remington 28 gauge choke wrench."
Old February 25, 2014, 02:45 PM   #6
tango1niner

If the end is knurled sounds like grab onto that bugger with your hand and tighten it up Guten tight? If there are holes in the knurled area use a good fitting rod toLOOSEN only.
Old February 25, 2014, 02:53 PM   #7
CockNBama

Yes, Spats. Thanks

My tubes look like the ones pictured in the Real Guns article, as near as I can tell, and the wrench from Midway looks to me like the right answer. Don't know why my searches didn't find it, but thanks again.
Old February 25, 2014, 02:58 PM   #8
Spats McGee
Staff

My pleasure. I hope it works out. tango1niner may have a right idea, too.
Old February 25, 2014, 03:40 PM   #9
BigJimP

You don't need a wrench to tighten or loosen screw in choke tubes...

When you use a wrench you run the risk of overtightening them or cross threading them ...all you need to do is "finger" tighten the screw in chokes. I've seen too many barrels ruined by guys getting overly aggressive with choke tube wrenches.

If they are coming loose during a round ...I'd use a little bit of choke tube grease on the threads ( make sure the threads inside the barrel and on the choke tube are clean first )...but they should stay tight during a round of 200 targets or so - by just "finger tightening" them. I prefer Rig Universal grease on my choke tubes...but there are a lot of products out there.

Choke tubes should be removed - every time you shoot the gun / clean and lube the threads in the barrel ...and on the choke tube. Then I put the choke tube back into the barrel when I store the gun in my safe. If a choke tube won't run in and out easily just using finger pressure - then the threads in the barrel or on the choke tube - or both - are dirty and in need of cleaning and lube / or the threads are compromised - which is not good.
Old February 25, 2014, 05:44 PM   #10
eastbank

my 28ga shotgun had the flush chokes and i do use the wrench to put them in,its easier for me to use the wrench and i don,t over tighten them. i have extended invecta plus chokes for my browning 12ga trap shotgun and they are finger tightened.eastbank.
Old February 25, 2014, 06:37 PM   #11
BigJimP

Wrenches can be used safely - if you're careful...

.....but next time, try to just change even the flush ones, by just inserting a finger inside the choke ...and just use that friction to change them...see if it works.

I change all my chokes....12ga, 20ga, 28ga and .410 - just with finger pressure ...but it is easier on extended chokes than on the flush ones...( and mostly I use the extended chokes on all my guns).
Old February 26, 2014, 06:21 AM   #12
Virginian

For extended chokes I use my index-thumb wrench. For flush chokes a quarter. I do check both rather frequently. I use nickel Never-Seez on my flush hunting chokes which I do not change in the field, but RemOil is all I use on the extended tubes for shooting targets. I always clean the extended tubes, just remove, spray, and wipe, after shooting, but the hunting chokes not so much. Never-Seez is death on clothing, it will not wash out. Having chokes easy to remove is worlds better than have a stuck one.
Old March 3, 2014, 02:54 AM   #13
Bake

Sounds like you may have some dirty threads. I would soak them over night in choke cleaner, and then use too much grease when I put them back in. Don't put a dry choke tube into the barrel. Its really hard on the fine thread, and they may not go all the way in, and will let them back out....
Old March 4, 2014, 12:23 AM   #14
340 Weatherby

Most of my stuff is too old to have screw-in chokes but the few that do, I use the rim of a shotshell to tighten them. If your wrecking the rim of the shell, you got them too tight. The extended chokes are as Jim said, tighten hand tight. But the threads have to be clean and lubed.
Old March 4, 2014, 09:24 AM   #15
Doyle

Bake has the right idea - clean and properly lube. For cleaning, ordinary brake cleaner is fast and good. Just spray and wipe. For thread lube, it's hard to beat ordinary spark plug anti-sieze from the auto parts store. If you insist on using a "gun product" for a lube, get a tube of breech lube made for muzzleloaders. It's pretty much the same as spark plug anti-sieze but you'll pay more for it so it will make you feel better about using it.
Old March 5, 2014, 11:48 AM   #16
BigJimP

You can use your fingers to put in and take out ...flush mounted choke tubes too guys....just stick your finger inside and use the friction to put them in our out....

If the threads inside the barrel or on the choke tube ....are not clean and properly lubed.../ meaning the choke goes in and out without any resistence...then clean and lube the threads inside the barrel again...until they run in and out smoothly.
Old March 5, 2014, 02:56 PM   #17
TomADC

Take a tube to your local marine supply store and get the right size one of these, BTW my 11-87 has extended tubes with a knurled end I just use my fingers.

http://www.marine-products.com/parts...boat-plug.html

Last edited by TomADC; March 5, 2014 at 06:26 PM.
Old March 5, 2014, 06:10 PM   #18
CockNBama

But, Tom...

I didn't plan to use it under water!

Do all squids install garboard drains in their shotguns, or is that reserved for submariners?

Joe
Old March 5, 2014, 06:32 PM   #19
TomADC

Maybe something like this?

Old March 5, 2014, 11:23 PM   #20
CockNBama

Yes, I realized that...

...just goofing around.

Hope I wasn't tweaking the MAA.