The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 18, 1999, 01:21 PM   #1
cornered rat

I am trying to load up some very mild .38 rounds for teaching. So far I have found 148gr cast wadcutters but nothing lighter? Could anyone suggest URL or phone # for light cast (unjacketed) bullets? Thanks.
Old January 18, 1999, 11:24 PM   #2
Walt Welch

What is wrong with the 148 gr. FWC, with a very light load, such as 2.5 to 2.7gr. of Bullseye? My daughters shot this load when they were 6 to 8 years old, and didn't have any problems. Today, one shoots a SP101 with 3" bbl. .357, and does so very accurately.

Use a shooting muff and ear plugs; it is frequently the noise rather than the recoil that bothers beginners.

You can get lighter bullets, such as the 125 gr. LRN, designed for the 9 x 19mm, but you must be very careful with the greatly increased case volume, and use a fairly stout load of powder, thus, negating any benefit of the lighter bullet.

One other option is to use the plastic bullets offered by various manufacturers which are propelled by the primer only. These have virtually no recoil at all.

Hope this helps, Walt Welch
Old January 21, 1999, 01:21 PM   #3
Cheapo

I like the Oregon Trail Bullet Co. ("Laser-Cast") 125-gr TC. Just tested a batch with a moderate load of Unique, which produced 939 fps in a 6-inch, and 913 fps in a 4-inch.

Will post more details if you want.
Cheapo.
Old January 22, 1999, 03:18 AM   #4
Cheapo

Aw heck, here's the data. My velocities were with 5.4 of Unique. Their minimum charge weight is 4.1, which should be a really light "slingshot" load.

Their max is a secret. I know too many lawyers...
Old February 12, 1999, 12:32 AM   #5
Cheapo

Update for Cornered Rat:
For a really light load with OTBC 125-gr TCs, try 4.3 of WW231. Out of a six-inch, they go about 750 fps and generate very little recoil. OTBC's book lists 4.2 as the minimum.

Methinks they'd be good for training, too, as they run through speedloaders easier than the traditional 148-gr wadcutters.