The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 5, 2015, 09:41 PM   #1
308Loader

Tumbling media

A recent post has me thinking about the media I use to tumble with. I use Lyman walnut with rouge to clean before resizing, then Hornady corncob to polish. Seeing as walnut and corn cob are also used in sandblasting would a black glass or soda media work well for tumbling? For top end would this be worth the $

http://www.grainger.com/product/RAYT...Magnetic-5UJU5
Old December 5, 2015, 11:56 PM   #2
Shadow72

Don't know about soda blasting media but I think that you will find that a "sand" like glass blasting media will tend to pack rather than tumble. Particle size and density contributes to the packing.
Old December 7, 2015, 02:57 AM   #3
Bongo Boy

I actually don't find that tumbling is worth any time or money at all. I've tried a few different media, have not tried stainless steel. But, nothing I used ever cleaned primer pockets or did anything for the inside of cases except make them a little bit dirtier than they were. I even left the unit running 24x7 for over a week and saw nothing but brass with nice shiny outsides. Just as dirty as ever everywhere else. My back-of-the-envelope calculations say that, if dirty brass wears my dies out faster than rouge-covered clean brass, the cost of a new set of dies is quite a bit less than the ongoing cost of tumbler media.

I put the tumbler away several years ago and don't miss it.

Last edited by Bongo Boy; December 7, 2015 at 03:05 AM.
Old December 7, 2015, 04:40 AM   #4
AzShooter

Keep using the walnut media. Clean brass loads easier than dirty cases. You will see an improvement on the inside of the case and this will help with consistency of your loads.

I use a Dillon tumbler and run it for 2 hours. My brass comes out clean and ready to reload. I'm shooting pistol so I leave the primers in and just knock them out when reloading. No problem with not cleaning the primer pockets.
Old December 7, 2015, 06:51 AM   #5
Jim243

I think the glass and soda media may take a lot longer to get the cases as clean since they are a finer media. Generally "sand blasting" of these materials is done under high pressure where as a tumbler is not. Just my opinion that they would not work as well in a standard tumbler.

I use a 50/50 mixture of fine walnut and corncob with a dash of polish and run the tumbler about one hour with good results. I am not concerned as to how clean the inside of the case and primer pocket come out, but I don't have to look at them after the cases are filled and reloaded.

Many on this forum praise the results they get with stainless steel pins and wet tumbling of their cases, and from what I can see the results are outstanding. I however do not want to get into the mess and additional time it takes to clean and dry the cases, so I guess I am stuck with the method I currently use.

If I was into selling cases for a profit, I guess I would take the additional time to do wet tumbling, but since it is just for my own use, walnut and corncob does a nice enough job on the cases.

Good luck on you choice and stay safe.
Jim
Old December 7, 2015, 11:30 AM   #6
sawdustdad

I use walnut media in a 30 year old RCBS vibratory case cleaner. I usually run it for 6 to 12 hours or overnight, though I have used it for shorter periods, say 2-3 hours. I like the overnight results with nice shiny cases. I don't worry about the inside or primer pockets as I deprime while loading on a progressive press. Wet tumbling seems like a lot of work for little reward.
Old December 7, 2015, 03:17 PM   #7
mikld

Glass blast media is very aggressive and I don't think the finish would be more than a dull matte finish on the brass. Soda is less aggressive than glass, but still, I believe, would not give the "shine" you're looking for. Both of these are designed for and work best when "blasted" by high pressure air against a surface to be cleaned right down to bare metal.

I would suggest for K.I.S.S. sake, use a corn cob blast media (different than pet bedding) and a bit of auto polish. Used in a wobbler or rotary machine, this will give you clean "virgin looking" brass in a reasonable amount of time. If you're in a hurry and want shiny, glossy brass try wet tumbling with SS pins, which is gaining in popularity these days. http://www.drillspot.com/products/49...bs_blast_media

FWIW; I reloaded 12 years, quite successfully, before I got a tumbler. I would just wipe each case with a solvent dampened rag as I inspected it prior to processing. Nope, no scratched dies, and yep, I could spot any defects in the brass. I got some of my most accurate ammo in these days and no problems what so ever (.44 Magnum, 1 1/4" groups @ 50', continually).
Old December 7, 2015, 04:05 PM   #8
FITASC

I use corn cob with rouge and a capful of Nu-Finish; 2-3 hours max and the brass is shinier than new
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old December 7, 2015, 04:13 PM   #9
cw308

I would think all the info I read on dry tumbling for reloading is corn & wallnut, would stick with that. Reading on Stainless Steel Pins with a wet tumbler,gave it a try& now its my way of cleaning brass. Cleans primer pockets, inside & out, cases look like new. I was amazed.
Old December 7, 2015, 06:18 PM   #10
308Loader

It was just kind of a random thought, didn't think it would work well but had to ask. Thanks everyone for the input.
Old December 7, 2015, 11:29 PM   #11
snuffy

We tumble fired cases to get grit and abrasives OFF the brass, you want to tumble in an extremely abrasive substance??! I can't think of anything worse than that. Some of the highly abrasive stuff will get between the case and the inside of the die.

Dies can be scratched easily enough with the grunge that gets on the cases when they hit the ground. Care must be used to clean them before they get sized.

Quote:
I put the tumbler away several years ago and don't miss it.
You are obviously OCD. Every surface must be squeaky clean. IT'S NOT NECESSARY! I never clean handgun primer pockets. Only rarely clean rifle primer pockets. (Hunting ammo). Since I no longer hunt, no never. As for the inside of the case, the carbon in there can just stay there, it doesn't bother anything.

A couple hours in a vibratory tumbler with 20/40 grit corn cob, and some flitz tumbler polish, the cases sparkle.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old December 8, 2015, 09:41 AM   #12
Fotheringill

For those who use a medium with rouge, is there a buildup on the inside of your full length or neck sizers?
Old December 8, 2015, 10:44 PM   #13
cw308

Good point, use media that is recommended . What is left in the case is going into your dies & barrel.
Old December 10, 2015, 08:14 PM   #14
std7mag

I use walnut. 25lb box of it from Harbor Freight. Still have over 3/4 of it left after 1 year.

Looking into ultrasonic cleaners though.