The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old September 11, 2013, 08:47 AM   #26
Mike Irwin
Staff

"I didn't find anything on Bernie Herpin's 2A position."

The Denver Post says that Herpin is a staunch supporter of the Second Amendment.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old September 11, 2013, 09:10 AM   #27
TXAZ

Is anyone aware of a similar national effort?

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old September 11, 2013, 09:14 AM   #28
csmsss

Congrats to the good people of Colorado who held these politicians accountable for their disregard of their constituents' 2A rights. I can't claim to understand with any specificity the full national implications of this, but a win is a win, and in this case, there are TWO wins.
Old September 11, 2013, 10:14 AM   #29
44 AMP
Staff

Last night the CBS evening news (broadcast before the election results were in) reported that the NRA spent $360,000 trying to influence this "local" election, with what sounded to me like a verbal sneer. (of course, that might just be my reaction to the overall slant of the reporting).

A couple of lines later, they reported that Bloomberg, personally (alone, by himself, from his own pocket was the impression they conveyed) spent $350,000. and "others" contributed as well.

To be fair to CBS (even though it irks me to do it) they did run a brief clip of somebody saying it was "big money Easterners trying to force their values on the people of Colorado". right at the end of the segment.
Old September 11, 2013, 10:49 AM   #30
Glenn E. Meyer

Bloomberg must have gulped mighty big after this one.

Good job to all concerned.

Politico story: http://www.politico.com/story/2013/0...566.html?hp=r5

Statement by idiot:

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/0....html?hp=r5_b1

According to her - it was an evil plan of voter suppression.

But a left leaning polling group suppressed a poll indicating their upcoming loss.

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/0....html?hp=r5_b2

Quote:
We did a poll last weekend in Colorado Senate District 3 and found that voters intended to recall Angela Giron by a 12 point margin, 54/42. In a district that Barack Obama won by almost 20 points I figured there was no way that could be right and made a rare decision not to release the poll. It turns out we should have had more faith in our numbers

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2013/0...#ixzz2ebLVwQLP

Last edited by Glenn E. Meyer; September 11, 2013 at 11:14 AM.
Old September 11, 2013, 11:06 AM   #31
geetarman

Ready. . .Aim. . .Fired!

Congratulations Colorado. Now is the time to focus on the others.

Carpe Cerveza
Old September 11, 2013, 11:07 AM   #32
Wyoredman

Quote:
"There are over 100,000 NRA members in Colorado, Tom. How many members of Mike Bloomberg's group live in Colorado?"
I like the earlier quote from the Denver Post that points out that the NRA is comprised of member gun owners who vote and the Bloomberg organization is only made up of politicians!

This recall result should send a clear message to politicians all across the country...but I doubt it will!

Last edited by Wyoredman; September 11, 2013 at 11:09 AM. Reason: Edited to add quote
Old September 11, 2013, 11:34 AM   #33
speedrrracer

Congrats to Colorado. Living in CA, and still reeling from the insane bills which passed our legislature yesterday, this is a welcome bit of good news.

This will have national implications, and that's the most important thing. Representatives that actually need to represent their constituents? What a radical concept!
Old September 11, 2013, 11:48 AM   #34
maestro pistolero

It's interesting and significant to note that, although the NRA and Bloomberg's contributions to this effort where nearly equivalent, that the anti-gunners out spent the recall effort by a factor of TEN! This makes gun control support an EXTREMELY expensive proposition, with a quite uncertain outcome.

This ought to be daunting to those looking to contribute to anti gun efforts. Although ideologues will support their causes with wildly generous amounts of cash, NO ONE like to to throw it away.
Old September 11, 2013, 12:01 PM   #35
NWPilgrim

Fantastic work out there in Colorado!! Amazing. Congratulations on pushing back the statist tide.

I hope this blunts the effect of Bloombergs' money when he goes into other states in the future. Hopefully local politicians will think twice before they take his money and vote for more gun restrictions.

I too remember well the 1994 wave of freshmen Republicans as a result of the AWB being passed. At the national level that reverberated even to this day. Bloomberg tried to take the assault on rights to the state level. Hopefully Colorado citizens have put the brakes on that strategy.

Well done!
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old September 11, 2013, 12:16 PM   #36
Tom Servo
Staff

This one has an interesting bit buried in it. They claim that a Quinnipiac poll found most voters averse to the recall. This is the same polling body that found 98% of Americans wanted universal background checks back in January. It might be time for gun-control advocates to look for a new source of data.
Old September 11, 2013, 12:20 PM   #37
MLeake

I think many Coloradans who opposed the recall were not defending Morse and Giron (though many were). Comments I read had to do with waiting for the normal election cycle, and with the cost of a recall during a weak economy.

I think the logical error was in assuming that all those who were opposed to the recall were necessarily Morse or Giron supporters.
Old September 11, 2013, 12:52 PM   #38
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
The Denver Post says that Herpin is a staunch supporter of the Second Amendment.
Herpin founded and runs the Pike's Peak Firearms Coalition. It can safely be said he's in our court.

Dave Kopel has an excellent summary of the situation over at the Volokh Conspiracy.
Old September 11, 2013, 02:17 PM   #39
speedrrracer

Thanks for the link to Kopel's piece, Tom

I loved loved loved reading this bit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Kopel
... both races became nationalized and attracted lots of outside money (an economic boon that far exceeded the expense of holding special elections)...
(emphasis mine)

Getting rid of antis is a profitable undertaking.

I freaking love it. Good for Colorado.
Old September 11, 2013, 02:41 PM   #40
motorhead0922

Meanwhile, over at MayorsAgainstIllegalGuns.com, the silence is deafening.
2020: It's pronounced twenty twenty.
Old September 11, 2013, 02:45 PM   #41
motorhead0922

So, what are the chances of a repeal of the recent gun laws in Colorado? I'd love to see the up-or-down votes now.
2020: It's pronounced twenty twenty.
Old September 11, 2013, 03:01 PM   #42
Spats McGee
Staff

I went to MAIG's website out of curiosity prompted by motorhead's comment. Now I find something equally curious: Is there any relation between Mayor Bob Muckle of Louisville, CO and Mayor Andrew Muckle of Superior, CO?
Old September 11, 2013, 03:17 PM   #43
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
So, what are the chances of a repeal of the recent gun laws in Colorado? I'd love to see the up-or-down votes now.
Not much, from what I've gathered. The balance of the legislature won't be drastically changed by two seats. As long as Hickenloper's in the governor's mansion, we have to contend with him.
Old September 11, 2013, 03:22 PM   #44
maestro pistolero

Quote:
As long as Hickenloper's in the governor's mansion, we have to contend with him.
What's the procedure and chances of success for a gubernatorial recall? Having a governor that would veto these boondoggles would help a lot.
Old September 11, 2013, 03:31 PM   #45
ammo.crafter

good job

Would be nice if New Jersey citizens would react the same way.
Old September 11, 2013, 03:58 PM   #46
carguychris

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerbill
The real issue there, I think, is similar to one we will face in Texas down the road; huge blocks of liberal voters drawn from crumbling states like California to better lives in states where the economy is strong because of conservative government. Unfortunately, they refuse to leave their liberal points of view behind... they force the things that wrecked their own states on their new homes. Settling near big cities for the jobs, they overwhelm rural, conservative residents... Austin is already gone, and Dallas and Houston are also strongly liberal. Those of us in small towns see that drift and cheer for our brothers and sisters in Colorado who showed that it can be done.
I'd like to offer some positive counterpoint to this "Crumbling Red Majority" viewpoint which IMHO seems to increasingly be regarded as conventional wisdom in TX.

I don't think the the Conservative vs. Liberal viewpoints are so clear-cut when it comes to gun rights in Western states. I believe that there is a substantial bloc of TX voters who lean left on social and economic issues but are also staunchly pro-gun. I believe that these folks vote for the left-leaning candidate when he or she takes a positive or at least neutral stance on gun rights, but will readily hold their noses and change their vote when it becomes clear that "their" candidate is actually an anti-gun crusader.

I think we've just seen this bloc of voters come out in force in CO.

Despite how one might view the PPP overall, I believe that they "tilted" the poll discussed in the third Politico article linked by Glenn Meyer, thus proving they are a force to be reckoned with.

This is a Good Thing for gun rights in the big picture.
Old September 11, 2013, 04:21 PM   #47
Wreck-n-Crew

First of all congratulations to Colorado an all you Denver fans .

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Not much, from what I've gathered. The balance of the legislature won't be drastically changed by two seats. As long as Hickenloper's in the governor's mansion, we have to contend with him.
As great as this news is, it comes with a sobering reality of the damage left behind. The voice of the people should carry further than this! Fight on>>>

I see our governing system as the best in the world by design, but the power of those who govern are very often abused.

Quote:
"In an emotional concession speech, Mr. Morse called the loss of his seat “purely symbolic” and defended the record of the last legislative session as “phenomenal.”
Quote:
“We made Colorado safer from gun violence,” he said afterward, as his supporters trickled away from a hotel ballroom here in his district. “If it cost me my political career, that’s a small price to pay.”
Talking about being blinded by self ambition and delisions of being the chosen one of self sacrifice for the greater good. Would radical be a good description of such behavior?
Old September 11, 2013, 04:59 PM   #48
alan

The results of these two recalls might serve as that proverbial object lesson to others, it is so hoped, but one never knows. That having been said, the following might be worthy of note, I think it is.

1. Recall petitions, as I understand it, were circulated for other Colorado legislators. Sufficient signatures were not obtained for the others.

2. In one of the two recall elections held, recall prevailed by 343 votes, from what I heard on a newscast earlier today, that's pretty close.

3. The success of the two recall elections might serve as a kick in the teeth to Colorado and out-of-state anti gun money men, think Mayor Bloomberg, who supposedly put up $350,000.

4. In conclusion, I would say that Colorado pro gun forces deserve congratulations for delivering what is hoped to be a valuable and long lasting object lesson, a lesson that might be described, as the French sometimes put it, "For The Encouragement of Others".
Old September 11, 2013, 05:34 PM   #49
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
What's the procedure and chances of success for a gubernatorial recall? Having a governor that would veto these boondoggles would help a lot.
I don't think the chances are good for a successful recall on that level.

Then again, I didn't think the chances were good for recalling Morse, either. So take my prediction with a grain of salt
Old September 11, 2013, 06:02 PM   #50
Mike1

Bernie Herpin is a board member of the Pikes Peak Firearms Coalition. 'nuff said.

The chances of overturning the gun laws passed in the 2012 session are Zero! The Democrat majority in the CO House and Senate, plus the Democrat Govenor will make that a moot point.

However, the following year election will be very interesting!