The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old December 5, 2012, 04:23 PM   #1
m&p45acp10+1

Decision making dilemma

Ok in two days I get a little fun money to play with. I have been going through the local gun stores, and pawn shops. I have also been checking out the Thrifty Nickle as well. I have been looking for a lever action .357 Mag for a while. It seems when I do not have the money to even put one on lay away they abound on the shelves of every where.

Well now there is not a single one to be had in the surrounding tri county area. I had Mrs. M&P call Cabella's to see if they have anything in stock. They say they have one Rossi tough it could be gone already as far as I know. So now it is time to form a back up list.

I hand load, and cast lead, and want something I can cast for without having to use gas checks. I am looking at lever actions. I am not looking for a 30-30 I have 2 of them already from Grampa. I am wanting the over sized lever for my large hands.

Ok so now choices are down to a couple of .44 Mag lever actions. One is a Henry, one is a Rossi, and one is a Marlin. Price difference between them is not that great. Less than $150. The other is a big loop stainless steel Marlin 1895 in .45-70 with Hi Viz sights. I am realy starting to want it. Though I am wondering how well it will do with cast bullets. (Are they still using the Micro Groove rifling in them?)

Oh and cast bullets would be shot with Trail Boss so velocity would be on the low end. The rifle will not be used for hunting. I have plenty of rifles to hunt with already. I am not planing on scoping it either. A tang sight would be nice though that would later down the road. This would be a just for fun on the range, and the occasional rouge pop can, and bottle on the farm gun.
Old December 5, 2012, 04:34 PM   #2
the rifleer

Personally I'd go with the .44. It sounds like you just want something to reload and shoot for fun. If you really want the .357 just wait a few weeks, they will turn up. I'm the same way, when I want something I want it now, but if you just wait you will get what you really want. That probably doesn't help much but thats what id do.
Old December 5, 2012, 04:39 PM   #3
Rmart30

here are 23 of them for sale .... http://www.gunbroker.com/All/BI.aspx...7+lever+action

Might want to keep a eye out on armslist dot com too
Old December 5, 2012, 04:48 PM   #4
m&p45acp10+1

Sorry I did not mention I am not looking to order one online at this time. I prefer a rifle I can pick up, look at, and inspect before buying. Though one of the LGS guys says he may be able to order one in .357 Mag for me if the distributor has one in stock.

I prefer the .357 due to the fact that I am already set up to cast, and load for it. If they had one in .41 Mag I would drive across the state to pick it up. As far as .44 mag goes I am open to it though none have the large loop. I want one with the large loop for my hands. I have long narrow fingers, with wide palms so I have a hard time fitting my hand in a standard loop.

Other than those there is a Finn capture Mosin that looks promising, as well as a couple of other mil surp rifles. Though I am in a lever action mood at this time.

Any feed back on the 1895 Marlin with cast lead would be apreciated.
Old December 5, 2012, 06:11 PM   #5
warbirdlover

Henry makes some beautiful lever actions in numerous calibers....
Old December 5, 2012, 08:17 PM   #6
m&p45acp10+1

warbirdlover I agree about the fact that Henry makes some real pretty rifles. My only problems with them are the small lever loops, and the loading in the muzzle end of the tube. Though I am looking at a couple of them at the LGS. So far other than the Rossi in .44 mag the Marlin has more of my attention.

There are a few others that have caught my eye. As well as a pretty nice Colt officers model .38 spcl. I think it may be target model. As well as a nickle .38 New Police that looks like it has been fired very little.

Well one thing is for sure I will be in the gun stores with a pocket full of money burning a hole it. I am sure there will be a new gun in collection before sun down on Friday.
Old December 8, 2012, 06:11 PM   #7
m&p45acp10+1

Update

The problem has been solved. I talked to the manager at the LGS he dropped the price on the 1895 Marlin in 45-70 for me. I will not say by how much, though I will say it was a fair deal for them, and me. I shot it today with 20 rounds of hand loads, using 350 grain lead flat points, with a load of Trail Boss.

I cleaned it up last night, and went to Cabella's this morning to get the brass, dies, bullets, and primers. I also picked up a cheapo sling.

It took 5 shots to settle, and foul the barrel. After that I put 13 of 15 shots in a 4 inch target at 25 yards using the iron sights, and a front sand bag for 10 shots, then 5 shots kneeling with my elbow rested on my knee. I am sure if I would have worn a hat to keep the setting sun out my eyes all of the shots would have been in the square.

I am happy with the rifle, it works as it should, no problems.
Old December 9, 2012, 02:03 AM   #8
lefteyedom

Being happy is NOT OVER RATED
Old December 9, 2012, 10:09 AM   #9
m&p45acp10+1

lefteyedom you are right about that. I have no complaints about the rifle at all. Now to get a bullet mold for it. It seems to do well with 350 grain bevel base, lead flat points. Sized at .459 there is no lead in the barrel after 20 shots. I will go to the range with 60 rounds today, and put it through the paces. I will geve a few shots at 100 yards to see how it does for those. Though with irons my eyes are not that good at 100 yards for getting tiny tight groups. I shoot minute of kill zone on most shots so it is better than most of the people I see shooting at the range.
Old December 10, 2012, 04:10 PM   #10
m&p45acp10+1

A picture

Here is a pic of it.