The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old August 6, 2012, 08:03 PM   #1
Super Sneaky Steve

Mr. Bisley

Hello all. I'd like to indroduce you to the newest member of my family, Mr.Bisley.

This is my first blued weapon but such an old timie style revolver should be in the traditional blue.

I really like the grip, it gives my pinky a home unlike my Vaqueros and the trigger is nice too. It fits my finger prefectly so I can apply even steady pressure till it breaks.

I do miss the holes lining up on the clicks, like my new Vaq does, but I can live with it.

I was also pleased to find that a .452 XTP can just barely be nudged into the cylinder so my reamer will stay in the box for this one.

I have you all to blame for this impulse by. The Blackhawk thread tickeled my fancy and seeing this one at my LGS sealed the deal. I love how this model has a steel subframe, unlike the other blackhawks. I just cast up some 300 grn gas checked slugs that will get some lube tomorrow.

Anyway, here she is in the original SAA barrel length 7.5".

Here you can see Mr.Bisley rolled into my cylinder.
Old August 6, 2012, 08:10 PM   #2
Bob Wright

While the Bisley wasn't my cup of tea, it is favored by many shooters.

With 300 grain bullets, what are you going after, buffalo or bear? I worked up some 350 gr. cast loads years ago, but my hunt never materialized. Had fun working up loads, though.

Enjoy that Ruger!

Bob Wright
Old August 6, 2012, 08:15 PM   #3
Super Sneaky Steve

Quote:
With 300 grain bullets, what are you going after, buffalo or bear? I worked up some 350 gr. cast loads years ago, but my hunt never materialized. Had fun working up loads, though
Well, just bears that I draw on my targets for now. I figured the longer barrel would be good for hunting. I might try my hand at some white tail this year. I helped my buddy build a little treehouse where he bowhunts I might camp out there for a bit.

It's overkill I know, but what if Elmer Keith was on an internet forum and they told him just to be happy with standard .44's and .38's?

So yeah, mostly just for fun but if I can put some meat in the freezer then it's bonus.
Old August 6, 2012, 08:33 PM   #4
Pbearperry

I too love the way the Ruger Bisley fits in my hand.I have one in .44 Mag with a 4 5/8" barrel.
Old August 6, 2012, 10:56 PM   #5
magmax

For me, the Bisley grip frame is superb when shooting heavy loads. Enjoy
Old August 6, 2012, 11:07 PM   #6
Ideal Tool

Hello, Super Sneaky Steve. In 1890, the NRA of the United kingdom moved it's headquarters from Wimbledon to the village of Bisley. In 1894, Colt introduced the Bisley model..designed for target shooting. There were non-adjustable sighted models, and flat-top target models with adjutable sights.
Old August 7, 2012, 07:16 AM   #7
drail

So how bad is the creep in that trigger?
Old August 7, 2012, 04:20 PM   #8
Super Sneaky Steve

Quote:
So how bad is the creep in that trigger?
There's none. It's got a nice glass rod, crisp break. It feels to me just a tad heavier than my New Vaquero's but it's still brand new, never fired.

I'll fix that this weekend
Old August 7, 2012, 06:11 PM   #9
Delaware Ken

Good Evening

I've been reading this forum for about a month, and now it's time for my first post. A member of the Bisley family made it to my house today. I purchased a Super Blackhawk Hunter with the Bisley grip. What a beautiful handgun. I've picked up some 44 special wadcutters to feed her first, and eventually work up to some 300 grain Hornadys. Can't wait to lob a few down range. Long range plan is to introduce her to some local whitetails this fall.

Ken
Old August 10, 2012, 01:59 PM   #10
Edward429451

That's a fine looking gun you have there. I've always been drawn to Bisleys but never picked one up. I hope to remedy that one day. Love that 7.5" barrel!
Old August 11, 2012, 09:33 AM   #11
BlkHawk73

Most any Bisley is a good one.

Got a bunch here but the standard one like this is still one that's not here.

.22 Bisley Hunter
.357 Bisley
.357 brass framed Bisley
.357 stainless Bisley (2x, consec #ed)
.357 maximum Bisley
.41 Bisley (2x)
.41 stainless Bisley
.44 stainless Bisley
.45LC stainless Bisley
.45LC/.45 ACP stainless Bisley

Still have a couple spare Bisley grip frames awaiting hosts. Gotta love the Bisleys! Nice grab!

Last edited by BlkHawk73; August 12, 2012 at 09:27 AM.
Old August 11, 2012, 07:07 PM   #12
GeauxTide

Love the Bisley

Get a trigger job, Belt Mountain Base Pin, and you're ready. My Bisley's are 22/WMR, 41Mag, 44Spl, and 45LC.
Old August 14, 2012, 09:53 AM   #13
black mamba

Here is mine, an underbarrel roll-marked 45 Colt, 5½" stainless. I have replaced the front sight with a "gloworm" for my 57 yr old eyes, and a trigger spring kit installed for a better pull. My throats measure .4510 to .4515, so I have not had them reamed yet-- accuracy with both jacketed and lead is good (2" @ 25 yds).

I shoot a 315 gr WFN from Matt's Bullets at 1100 fps with Accurate 4100 and WLP primers in nickel plated Starline cases.

The dogleg jackknife is a Northfield UN-X-LD in Primitive Bone and 1095 carbon steel.

I have large hands, and the Bisley grip gives me extra purchase with that pinky finger. It also lets the recoil come more straight back, with less muzzle flip than the original dragoon style grip because of it's more vertical orientation. I do wish it had a scosh more room behind the trigger guard, as it does bump my middle finger on occasion.
Old August 15, 2012, 07:40 PM   #14
Crazy Carl

Very nice. I've got the 5.5" .41 & love it. On the prowl for .41 Bisly SBH Hunter & thinkin' the 5.5" .357 & .45 would make fine additions, as well.