The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old August 12, 2012, 07:08 PM   #1
Sinclair

Very new to Gun ownership, and Really need a bit of help.

So I, just a few days ago, purchased my first firearm.. It was complete impulse, and am beginning to wonder if it was a poor choice. I haven't received it yet and am still going through the waiting period.. But in the mean time I am doing some research... and it isn't going well. On my receipt I first searched the model on it, Taurus Model 88, But that doesn't add up with what I bought because it's chambered in 38 but the Taurus model 88 seems to be in 357. only. Plus the serial number isn't coming up with any results when I search for it on the Taurus website. So I'm completely confused with what I actually have. Not to mention I think I severely overpaid.. But I'm afraid to actually know by how much. Anyway, I would greatly appreciate some guidance here.
Old August 12, 2012, 07:11 PM   #2
Ben Towe

Even if it is a. 357 you can still shoot .38 Special ammo in it.
Old August 12, 2012, 07:13 PM   #3
Sinclair

The gun I bought is 38 spl only.
Old August 12, 2012, 07:24 PM   #4
burrhead

The Taurus 88 is a 38 special that is somewhat similar to the S&W model 10. Gun prices are very dependant on location so where you live has an effect on what you pay. Considering there are plenty of S&W police trade-in m-10s out there that go for less than $300 I would expect the Taurus, in very good shape, to value out at $200-$240. If you live in California add $75-$100.

I'm offended by people that are easily offended.
Old August 12, 2012, 07:28 PM   #5
Sinclair

That helps a lot, I guess I overpaid but not severely. Just pretty badly. But what's the deal with not being able to search the serial number?
Old August 12, 2012, 07:35 PM   #6
burrhead

I don't know anything about the serial number. Didn't know you could look up an individual gun on Taurus' web site.

Don't worry too much about overpaying. Happens to everybody at some point if you play this game long enough.

I'm offended by people that are easily offended.
Old August 12, 2012, 07:39 PM   #7
Sinclair

It just hurts to overpay on your first gun, y'know? But I will live. There's a lot to learn about guns, and It's a bit overwhelming.
Old August 12, 2012, 07:52 PM   #8
BigJimP

Guns are like cars, cycling, golf, etc.....there is a lot to it.

There are so many different "platforms" ...even within one mfg...that it is hard to keep up with. You have to just absorb a lot of info ....shoot a lot of differenet weapons ...and find out what suits you for any number of issues - weight, trigger pulls - how they break-how they reset - slack - creep / a lot to it ...sights, width, weight, balance...etc in revolvers is a really big thing....and a big thing in semi-autos as well...

Don't be in a rush / maybe pick up some books on revolvers - like Taurus and S&W and Ruger...that'll give you a crosssection of info. You'll find Taurus fans, S&W fans and Ruger fans...maybe even a few guys that like all 3...but very few things are strict black and white issues ..its all degrees of what you like or don't like....

Cost is also really relative...out of the literally dozens of revolvers made by S&W over the years...there are some that are well over $1,000 and some that are only valued at $ 150...even within one caliber.

Have fun with the process / don't believe one guy, one shop, one opinion...get a lot of info / form your own opinions.
Old August 12, 2012, 08:57 PM   #9
aphdmansoc

Sinclair, don't worry about it. A .38 caliber is fine for a first gun. Over time you will buy more guns and you will learn what's out there.

If you can, get some professional instruction before you develop bad habits.
Practice with different weights for example 110 grain or 158 grain etc. Get a feel for the recoil.

You can improve on the grip by buying an aftermarket grip that adds length to your gun. To see what I'm talking about use this link...

http://www.midwayusa.com/find?newcat...ensionid=1280&

Have fun learning to become a better shooter. Also read some books on self-defense and shooting

On different calibers for self-defense: If you can hit what you aim at it doesn't matter...if you can't it doesn't matter. So, it doesn't matter...Me
Old August 12, 2012, 09:20 PM   #10
10-96

What you feel you overpaid, you can reason to yourself that you paid that much for education. Anybody who says they can't or wont learn anything new is either a fool, dead, or just as good as dead. But thats just my opinion. So shoot your new pistol, learn everything you can about it, enjoy it, and remember that it will never be totally worthless. You'll always have at least a little bit of equity and more knowledge than what you started out with.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old August 12, 2012, 10:08 PM   #11
Sinclair

Thank you, you have all been very helpful.
Old August 12, 2012, 10:38 PM   #12
Tom Servo
Staff

A medium-frame .38 is a wonderful first gun. Ammunition is plentiful and cheap, recoil is mild, and the platform teaches good trigger control.

Despite the bad rap Taurus has garnered the last few years, the 88 was made at a time when their quality control was quite good.

Price is only one factor in the concept of value. A gun that serves you well is worth more than a cheaper one that doesn't. Besides, it's not as if this is going to be your last gun.
Old August 13, 2012, 09:49 PM   #13
osbornk

You only overpaid for your gun if you time is not valuable to you. I recently bought two guns and I may have overpaid $20 or $30 for each of them. However, the time I saved by buying the guns I wanted when I wanted them was worth more than the extra money I saved. If the gun you bought was the one you wanted and it was available, a modest overpayment is a small price to pay for the time saved. Where I live in Virginia, I pay my money, a 5 minute check is done and I leave with my gun.
Old August 14, 2012, 07:18 AM   #14
sheepman

There is always a better buy and you usually find it right after you made your purchase (or at least that's the way it seams). In a few years it will still be worth about what you paid for it, unlike a TV, computer or car. A 38 is a good caliber to start with shoot it and enjoy.
Old August 14, 2012, 07:26 AM   #15
Skadoosh

Sinclair, stick around here and you will learn a lot about firearms and ammunition. And you will also learn that everyone has an opinion and, eventually, you will too. Learn everything you can about your firearm and the responsibility that comes with it...and especially learn the golden rules of firearms safety.

Welcome to the club, citizen!
Old August 14, 2012, 07:47 AM   #16
Scott429

Dont let all the stuff out there overwhelm you. It's like anything else out there, golf, bowling, and so on. Lots of advertising and hype for this new wondergun or super gadget. Just purchace a large quantity of ammo, Cabelas has some pretty good deals on bulk ammo and you get a niffty ammo can to boot, practice good form and trigger control, be safe, and enjoy a hobby many of us have enjoyed as far back as we can remember. It's all personal preference but try not to get magumitis if you get into rifles. You can only kill something so dead and developing a flinch dosen't help with accuracy
Old August 14, 2012, 07:51 AM   #17
45_auto

Quote:
I haven't received it yet and am still going through the waiting period.. But in the mean time I am doing some research
Hopefully you have discovered that it is advantageous to do your research BEFORE your purchase. If you're smart, you will realize that this concept applies to many more facets of your life than guns.
Old August 14, 2012, 08:26 AM   #18
mrbatchelor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinclair View Post
It just hurts to overpay on your first gun, y'know? But I will live. There's a lot to learn about guns, and It's a bit overwhelming.
Don't worry about that. The early part of the learning curve is just that, the learning curve.

Frankly I wouldn't even consider it "overpaying" as much as just part of the price of admission. No one, and I really mean no one, is born knowing this stuff. And very few of us get a great mentor right out of the box. I sure didn't.

Welcome!
Old August 14, 2012, 08:30 AM   #19
j3ffr0

I bought my first gun a few months ago, and it was a .357 that I mostly shoot .38 out of. I quickly bought my second, third, and fourth guns. Once you get your gun and head to the range, I predict that you will start thinking about buying a .22 to practice with in the not too distant future. The ammo is a lot cheaper.

In the mean time, enjoy your .38. It should prove a good first gun.

It's like the man told me -- Guns are like shoes. You wouldn't wear your sandals to the opera. You wouldn't wear your dress shoes hiking or running. Thankfully, my wife understands that analogy and hasn't given me much grief for accumulating four guns in under 3 months.
Old August 14, 2012, 08:41 AM   #20
qqq1

When I had a Taurus Judge, a current model, it was never listed on the website and there was no info anywhere about the specific model. They had 15 other Judges listed but not mine. Hopefully your gun is perfect out of the box. Good luck if you need to deal with customer service.
Old August 14, 2012, 03:21 PM   #21
old bear

Sinclair, you didn't over pay you just bought to soon, and I done that myself, more than once
Old August 14, 2012, 03:39 PM   #22
Stressfire

Quote:
It just hurts to overpay on your first gun, y'know? But I will live.
Consider it a right of passage. I did it too But also, not too bad
Old August 14, 2012, 03:44 PM   #23
lee n. field

Quote:
So I, just a few days ago, purchased my first firearm.. It was complete impulse, and am beginning to wonder if it was a poor choice. I haven't received it yet and am still going through the waiting period.. But in the mean time I am doing some research... and it isn't going well. On my receipt I first searched the model on it, Taurus Model 88, But that doesn't add up with what I bought because it's chambered in 38 but the Taurus model 88 seems to be in 357. only.
Guns chambered for .357 can shoot .38 Special.

I'm not pulling up anything on the Model 88 right now, except one reference that said it's an old (late 80s) .38 Special. (See here.)

I spot checked some older print catalogs, and didn't find anything there, either.

Quote:
Plus the serial number isn't coming up with any results when I search for it on the Taurus website.
The lookup tool doesn't always work.

Quote:
So I'm completely confused with what I actually have. Not to mention I think I severely overpaid.. But I'm afraid to actually know by how much. Anyway, I would greatly appreciate some guidance here.
So, how much?

Quote:
Don't be in a rush / maybe pick up some books on revolvers - like Taurus and S&W and Ruger...that'll give you a crosssection of info.
The Gun Digest Book of the Revolver. (More accurately it would be titled "The Gun Digest Book of the Modern Double Action Defensive Revolver")

Yep, first handgun's a learning experience. We all start somewhere.

I would also suggest going through Jim March's revolver checkout procedure.

Other thoughts: Taurus' manual advises against dry firing. Pay attention to that. My old Model 66 from that era would mash firing pin springs into unusability. Get and use snap caps for dry firing practice.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "

Last edited by lee n. field; August 14, 2012 at 03:57 PM.
Old August 14, 2012, 03:49 PM   #24
carprivershooter

Welcome to The Firing Line. Don't get caught up in paying to much. We all do. I own several 38/357s a couple 9mm and 45acps. 45 colt and a 44mag along with a couple 22lr. You can own serveal differnt calibers, may be the one you like to shoot most. Like others have said shot often. learn all you can about guns and the one you shoot most often. develop those skills. have fun be safe.
Old August 14, 2012, 04:32 PM   #25
Oysterboy

Welcome aboard and don't feel bad about overpaying, it happens to all of us.

I bought three pistols from my local range and they cost more than elsewhere but I saw that as an advantage. All the paperwork is done there, all my guns were checked out before purchases and I'm a regular there. They're family owned and they have a smith in employ. Cool folks too.

I bought a Kel-tec PF9 9mm, S&W Sigma 9mm and Sig Sauer P250c 40sw there and they all were flawless. Lucky me.

Tags
confusion , revolver , taurus