The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 2, 2011, 12:12 PM   #1
tobnpr

Q about Savage actions for build...

A Savage short action runs about $350 "a la carte"...
I can pick up a Savage .308 package rifle at the local wally world for less than fifty bucks more. Could always sell the barrel, stock and crappy glass...

Is there any difference in the action?

Also- what is the diff between the Target actions, and the regular ones- is it just the Target Accutrigger? Or, has other work been done to the action?

Want to start a .260 build, but I'm debating between this route, and a more challenging one maybe utilizing a Mauser action. Thoughts?
Old September 2, 2011, 12:27 PM   #2
Doyle

I can't answer those specific questions but I can add one bit about a .260 build. Use a long action - not a short action if you intend to handload. Here's why:

I've got a .260 in a regular short action (Rem Model 7). My hunting buddy has a .260(AI) built on a long mauser action. One of the fantastic things about the .260 is that you can use some very long bullets with a really serious BC. Because his is built on a long action, he can use the 160grn bullets AND seat them far out. With my short action, I can't even think about using a long bullet like that - much less seating anything far out. They will neither fit into the magazine nor will they fit into the bolt opening.
Old September 2, 2011, 12:40 PM   #3
PawPaw

Savage Target actions are different from their regular actions. You can get them right bolt, left port, in a variety of configurations and bolt heads. Did I mention that all the target actions are single-shot?

LINKY HERE for the catalog page.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old September 2, 2011, 04:30 PM   #4
tobnpr

Doyle: Thanks for the heads up- that had never occurred to me- and I was planning on going with the short action. I knew the .308 can go either way, and like the compactness of the short action- but for longer range, and possibly VLD bullets the extra chamber space would definitely be an advantage.

Paw-Paw: didn't know that...that rules out the Target action. I'm probably going to want a DBM as well...and I'm trying to find out if that's even a possibility with a Mauser action. I know that I can get that from CDI for the Savage.
Old September 2, 2011, 04:49 PM   #5
44 AMP
Staff

moved

Questions about modern actions and rifle builds are not a good fit in Curios & Relics. Moving to the Smithy.
Old September 2, 2011, 06:25 PM   #6
tobnpr

Thanks, Mod... Had no idea I posted it in C&R...thought it was the Rifle forum...which would've been wrong anyway....