The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 13, 2011, 06:17 PM   #1
trg42wraglefragle

Shotgun patterning

I was getting sick of missing things I tried to shoot with my shotgun,
I was ok with my steel load but my Buckshot and #2 Leads I used seemed to be useless.

So I patterned my gun yesterday;
At 30yrds both the lead and buckshot had a hole where no shot was about 4 or 5 inches wide, and at 45 yards was even worse.
The Buckshot had no pattern to it what so ever and at 45yrds the hole was about 6 or 7 inches.

Im using a Remington 870 and the choke is the original Remington Modified choke it came with.

Any suggestions on what I should do?
I was wanting to get a Full choke for it but after seeing my results am worried it will just escalate the problem.

Cheers
Old August 13, 2011, 06:31 PM   #2
idek

You mentioned the gun and the choke, but you didn't mention the specific ammo. If you're using the cheapest available lead shot, that stuff is more prone to deformation, which might explain holes in your patterns.

I see your location is listed as New Zealand. I don't know if you have the same ammo available there as we do here, but regarding buckshot specifically, federal premium stuff with flight control wads have a very good reputation for tight patterns.
Old August 13, 2011, 07:58 PM   #3
trg42wraglefragle

The lead is a good brand not elcheapo stuff.
But the Buckshot is Saga which is pretty cheap, but still not terrible.
Im no blessed to live in the USA so ammo is expensive!
The Saga cost me $1 a round and some Federal Premium I brought cost me $4 a round!
And I'm not spending that just to mess up some rabbits.
Old August 13, 2011, 08:20 PM   #4
idek

As I think about it, #2 shot isn't going to have a huge number of pellets, and 45 yards is a long shot. Therefore, it may not be too surprising that your pattern density is getting spotty. Would it be possible to use smaller shot in order to increase your pattern density?

Otherwise, I'd suggest trying different chokes. You may even try another Modified choke. Every gun and choke behaves a little differently, and maybe your choke just isn't a good match for the ammo you're using.
Old August 13, 2011, 09:51 PM   #5
Antique Shooter

Hello trg42, if you are going to shoot 45 yards, I would recommend using 3inch shells, and a full choke. An extra full wouldn't be out of the question. Buckshot and #2's for a rabbit? Are they gigantic? For rabbits, I use 7 1/2, 6 and maybe 5 with an imroved cylinder choke. At 45 yards, the full choke should keep a pretty tight pattern.

Antique Shooter
Old August 13, 2011, 09:56 PM   #6
trg42wraglefragle

Ive used 4 steel on rabbits and that seemed ok.
I brought the buck shot for a bit of fun and the lead for some longer range hitting power.

Are you able to use 6 lead on rabbits at 45yrds?
If you can then thats what ill use.

45yrds is the normal distance I shoot rabbits at, they're used to being shot at and run away pretty quick, lately I haven't even bothered with my shotgun and just used my 22lr, but if I can start hitting what I aim at ill start using it again, a lot more fun.
Old August 13, 2011, 10:26 PM   #7
Antique Shooter

Steel 4 is about equivalant to #6 lead ballistically. The only thing I don't use lead here for is for waterfowl, because you can't. Non-Tox only. Do you know if the shells you are using are 2 3/4 or 3 inch. 6 shot and a full choke would be pretty hard to beat at 45 yds. 4's wouldn't be a bad choice either if your shooting that far. There are almost twice as many 6's as ther are 2's in a shell, more pattern density. Here, most of the time you jump rabbits in thick cover, so shots are close. If I could see them from that far, I would use a .22

Antique Shooter
Old August 13, 2011, 11:25 PM   #8
T. O'Heir

45 yards is too far for buckshot. Buckshot usually prefers a Cylinder or an IC choke too. 2's aren't much better.
Your shotgun have Remchokes? The tubes pricey in NZ? They run around $20Cdn each, here.
Old August 14, 2011, 01:10 AM   #9
trg42wraglefragle

Sorry I meant 2 steel, so that's about the same as 4 lead.
I use steel for the same reason as you do, cause we have to.
They're 2 3/4 inch shells, the only reason I use steel for rabbits is because IO have a big case of it I got for cheap during duck season.

Chokes like everything are pricey here, they're about 80NZD for a cheap one, and you selfish americans wont let me buy one from you!
But I'm going to try get some from the UK for about 35NZD, as I know people over that can ship them.
Everything about guns is expensive here, a very average AR15 runs about 5000NZD compared to your 1000USD.