The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 5, 2011, 09:24 PM   #1
Zmax

MoSsberg 535 won't shoot good groups

I bought a mossberg 535 comb( slug field combo) I have since then been trying to find a slug load it will shoot well. I have tried lightfield Remington and Winchester ect 3" 2 1/2" and 3 1/2" and the best "group" I get is 4"-5" at 100 yard with the cheap Winchester slugs shooting the best. I have used open sights and a shotgun scope and used nylon pliers to tighten the barrle screw snug. I also shoot from a bench with sand bags. I have noticed that 3 quters of the way down the slug barrle that there is a mark between rifling looks like machine markings not deep but just a slight discoloring. Any help would be great as it is unacceptable for hunting with.
Old August 5, 2011, 09:26 PM   #2
oneounceload

Are you shooting sabot-style slugs in a rifled barrel?
Old August 6, 2011, 12:20 AM   #3
columbia_shotguneer

sounds like he's shooting rifled slugs out of a rifled barrel, not sure I wouldn't try the sabots myself since they are made for this barrel. But who am I to suggest a slug solution, when I only use shot in my shotguns.
Old August 6, 2011, 08:25 AM   #4
Zmax

I have been using saboted slugs with a rifled barrle. I will get the Winchester slugs to group like 4-5" at 100 yards for like 4-5 shoots then I will get flyers . All other slugs I have tried anyone's guess were they will go. Than I have to clean the barrel.I have 2 ideas it's that mark in barrle causing it. Or the screw that holds barrel to the magazine tube is not tight. 4-5" may be the best I can get?
Old August 6, 2011, 09:43 AM   #5
zippy13

Be of good cheer -- some consider 3 to 4-inch sabot groups at 100-yards equivalent to sub-MOA accuracy with a rifle. I'm guessing there are many rifle hunters out there who can't shoot MOA or even your 4 to 5-inch groups at 100-yards (I saw a lot of them at the range yesterday).
Old August 6, 2011, 10:12 AM   #6
lasvegastransplant

Decent Group

The mark in the rifling is probably the problem. Maybe you could tighten up your group. Also try other ammo. Good luck.
Thinking 4:24/7 is a way of life.
Old August 6, 2011, 10:42 AM   #7
SteelChickenShooter

I can't really give you good advice. I need advice here as well and rely on those answers to guide me. I also have no experience with your Mossberg model.
I can tell you that I do have two other brands that exceed expectations regarding slug groups. These will cloverleaf three rounds at 100 yards:
1) is my Remington SPS SureShot SuperSlug (870 pump 12 ga)
2) is the Savage model 220 (bolt action 20ga)

If you are looking to get really tight groups, these guns (for me) are capable of providing outstanding accuracy at 100 yards. Every bit of what you are hoping to achieve and more. I just don't know if the Mossberg model can do the same.

So I'd say that while a 4 to 5 inch group at 100 yards may very well work and be plenty good enough for a lot of hunters, there are other brands of shotguns and brands of ammo that will produce your desired results. Whether or not you are capable to outfit them and shoot them to get those results is another matter. But with absolute certainty, and having proven range results, you can buy some shotguns and sighting options to dramatically improve your groups.
Old August 6, 2011, 10:59 AM   #8
Zmax

Thanks for the encouragement. If I could get it to 3"-4" groups instead of 5" I would feel alot beter. I am tied down this weekend. But next weekend I will try a few more slug brands. Then call mossberg and see what they say. Maybe I will up to 50 yards even I heard wind can mess with slugs. I wana get her in good Runing order bear season starts sept first. In Vermont were I hunt you can't bait bear so unless you have dogs siting and watching corn fields is your best bet. If it does not work out maybe buck shot.
Old August 6, 2011, 11:08 AM   #9
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
with the cheap Winchester slugs shooting the best
Would these also be the shortest?
Possible flinch issue developing with the recoil. You may not fit the gun well enuff to mitigate even the recoil of the lighter hitter. The 535 is not that heavy especially with plastic hollow stocks. The recoil of all but "Reduced Recoil" in slugs can be quite smart.

Quote:
I also shoot from a bench with sand bags.
Is there a possibility that the positioning one the bags shifts?
I have found some headaches with inconsistency in my use of a rest.

But the results you have are plenty fine MoD (minute of deer).

Brent
Old August 6, 2011, 11:23 AM   #10
SteelChickenShooter

Testing for accuracy can be time consuming and expensive if starting out with the wrong gun. Buy one box each of several premium rounds and compare them on paper at 40 or 50 yards using the absolute same aiming point to see how the groups compare. Change papers, write down what round made those holes. One or two brands might pop up as clear winners. Do not be influenced by the holes if off and do not try to make the rounds hit where you want them to be. Just shoot them, measure and compare when done. When you find one that will touch holes or cloverleaf at 40 yards, you have a superb candidate to test down range at 100. If you have one inch delta among some brands at 40 yards, these should be capable of giving you a two or three inch group at 100.
Here are some brands I've had good results with:
The Remington Accu-Tips, the Core-Lokt and the Copper Solids
Federal Barnes Expanders
Hornady SST
Lightfield Hybrid EXP
One other thing comes to mind and that is what your 100 yard measure means to you and your hunting?
In my case, for my guns I posted, and my sabot type slugs, my 100 yards is the starting point- NOT the end distance.
If your 100 yard mark is the longest distance you anticipate, then you have even greater choices in guns, sighting options and ammo that should give you want you want.
Old August 6, 2011, 02:20 PM   #11
Zmax

100 yards is the longest I will be shooting 75-35 yards is the most realistic. I had thought to try 2 3/4 " loads but was told that shooting 2 3/4" in a 3 1/2" chamber may cause some lose in accuracy. Flinch may be the cause but I seem To shoot comparable to the bench with a few thrown shoots. I do find that slugs kick less than my turkey loads
Old August 6, 2011, 04:52 PM   #12
DougU

Living in Iowa, I have shot alot of slug guns. I have to say that 4-5" groups at 100 yards from a slug gun is the best that most can expect.

Now, I realize that every internet commando has a slug gun that will shoot 1 ragged hole at 200 yards, the reality is that very few pump or semi-auto shotguns will shoot better than 4-5" groups out of the box (with your average shooter at the controls).

You state that you have used both rifle sights and a scope so we can assume that you mounted the scope to the shotgun receiver which is less accurate than a cantilever mount unless you have a gunsmith pin your barrel to your receiver (most pumps and autos are not designed for the barrel to lock up tight to the receivers).

By the way, since I can't see your barrel, does that discoloration your talking about in any way match the area where the forward barrel mount was attached to the barrel?
Old August 6, 2011, 08:17 PM   #13
Zmax

Very interesting. My scope is mounted on the receiver. I always assumed that the cantilever mount would be less accurate. It seems like it would move more. The spot in the barrel is weird it's just discolored slightly I had my wife look and she could not see it. It could just be me. Maybe this is the best I can get it to shoot I just expected beter from a bench and all. If I could tighten it up a inch I would feel alot beter about hunting with it. I will keep ya all posted.
Old August 7, 2011, 12:54 AM   #14
SteelChickenShooter

True my Remington 870 SuperSlug barrel is pinned, but it was made that way- no gunsmith needed. It does not make one ragged hole at 200 yards. It does cloverleaf three rounds at 100 yards as stated. 200 yards is a different matter. I get a pattern certainly within the deer taking zone. It will put every round someplace within a 5 inch circle. Many say an 8 inch circle or pie plate is good for deer. Look back at what the OP is claiming: he's getting 4 or 5 inches spread at 100 and he'd be happy with 3 or 4. The guns I've listed can do that out to 200.
In my quest to get a true 200 yard slug gun, I began with the SuperSlug and it is the big guy I take to certain locations where deer are often seen way more than 100 yards away. It's the nature of the property and terrain. Sitting high on a ridge overlooking a creek bottom, swampy area, and meadow below. 200 yards is the right setup for this location.
My present desire was to get a similar result in a 20 ga. I thought it would be a good project for this season. I have new access to a wooded area in a region where the deer are not so big. But the blind is 200 yards from where the deer trails intersect. I failed to hit squat with the H&R thumb hole 20 ga. But when I took that first shot with the Savage, Accu-Trigger, Leupold Ultimate Slam scope, I knew I was onto something.
Old August 7, 2011, 07:31 AM   #15
Rugerismisticness

Whoa whoa, wait a sec. Does your slug barrel REALLY have a 3 1/2 chamber? I know the field barrel will have a 3 1/2, but the slug barrel should have a 3" chamber. I would try rifled slugs, I've had good luck shooting them from a rifled barrel. Pick up a 15rnd value pack from Winchester (10$) and a box of the 3" Winchester 1760fps 1oz slugs, both are rifled and both are very accurate.