The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old March 27, 2011, 12:04 PM   #1
stephanko

Browning Semi Auto 22 date?

Hi everyone, I have enjoyed reading many entries here in the forum over the years and finally decided to get registered and participate a little more actively.. Off course I also have a somewhat selfish reasong to do so....

A friend gave me a Browning Semi Auto 22 and it had not been cared for very well in years. So, a thorough cleaning job did wonders for the receives and I have just completed re-finising the stock and fore-end. I came out very nice and I can now show my friend how much I appreciate his gift. I am sure he will like seeing his old trusted 22 come back to life like this...

Anyway, in putting all this work into the firearm I thought it would be nice to know when the rifle was actually built. The serial number on the right side of the receiver (top right corner) is 02472T57. On the barrel I see 'made in Japan.'

I have checked the 'date your gun' Browning website as well as proofhouse for post '58 years but somehow this serial number does not want to fit any scheme mentioned. Or, maybe, I am just not getting it....

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Stephan

Old March 28, 2011, 06:43 PM   #2
PetahW

Your Auto-22 was made in 1975, the first year of Browning moving production from Belgium to Miroku in Japan.

The SN = 02472

"T" = LR chambering

"57" = really 1975, not 1957 - for a few years, the Japanese (for some reason) transposed the digits in the year section of the SN's.

Old March 29, 2011, 07:23 PM   #3
stephanko

thank you!

The transposing of the last two digits was my hangup.