The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old September 27, 2012, 10:38 PM   #1
rodeo roy

CCW Semi or Wheel

I have been armed for about a year so I am still a novice, I do pratice alot with a SR40c and a Bodyguard .38 both I carry IWB (not at the same time). Lately I have become much better with the .38 still not as good as with the 40 cal. (I can hit what I aim at but still slow with reload and back on target after reload with the .38 the .40 takes me longer to unholster, unsafety) and I think I may trade the .40 for a .357 and just stick to the revolvers.

To each his own, but after weighing all the multible attackers, low capacity speeches, I really pray if the worst happens and I find myself needing to use a gun to defend myself 5 to 6 shots with the option to reload is enough. The need for high capacity means I am likely in the wrong place to begin with and did not pay enough attention to my area before I walked into a war zone. I think about the seceniro having to use a gun and up close and personal, quick, holding the gun, reliabilty, nerves or panic come in to play and for me that means ease of use of a wheel trumps more bullets of a semi. Plan A fire and run to take cover. Plan B reload repeat plan a.
Old September 27, 2012, 10:45 PM   #2
Newton24b

it always is best to try to be fast with unloading and reloading anything your carrying. it really is the best idea. some platforms, and environmental factors can make that more slow..
try loading that semi or revolver up when you have half frozen hands because youve been scrapping ice off the windshield in winter... with or without glvoes on.
Old September 27, 2012, 11:06 PM   #3
jimbob86

I never did find a way to carry my sp101 IWB comfortably. Cylinder was.... round. Did not ride well under belt......
Old September 27, 2012, 11:24 PM   #4
JohnKSa
Staff

Moving to General Handguns.
Old September 28, 2012, 12:07 AM   #5
Creeper

Quote:
The need for high capacity means I am likely in the wrong place to begin with and did not pay enough attention to my area before I walked into a war zone.
Rules for a gunfight #10. Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it... because it is empty.

C
Old September 28, 2012, 10:25 AM   #6
sgms

What ever you decide to carry practice, practice, practice till you can draw and reload quickly and smoothly. There is no trick to it just lots of practice.
Old September 28, 2012, 10:39 AM   #7
zombieslayer

I carry a S&W 640. Two o'clock iwb. Very comfortable and easy to carry. The shape works better with my body than semi's. I also have a PPS in .40 that I like. After dozens of handguns this is what I've whittled it down to in terms of carry.
For weighing 24 +/- oz unloaded, the 640 is slim and compact. I will say that in my experience, snubs take a lot more practice to get accurate with. But after years of carrying it now, the 640 is my go-to all around gun. If the PPS were as comfortable, I'd likely carry it more. The PPS is comfortable, but the 640 just works better for me. There's my 2 cents.
Old September 28, 2012, 10:44 AM   #8
Amsdorf

"The need for high capacity means I am likely in the wrong place to begin with and did not pay enough attention to my area before I walked into a war zone."

If you choose to carry a revolver with six or five round capacity, that is obviously your choice.

But please do not attempt to put forward such inadequate arguments against carrying a semi-auto.

Be prepared means, be prepared.

I prefer to carry a Glock 26 with 14+1 and an extra 14 round magazine, with the best +P JHP ammo I can buy. I feel more comfortable having that kind of capacity and capability. You may not prefer that.

But suggesting people who carry semi-auto are not paying attention or are in the wrong place is a fallacious argument.
Old September 28, 2012, 11:08 AM   #9
psyfly

^^Sounds like somebody's trying to start an argument...

My EDC lately is a 5-shot .44 S&W Special with, sometimes, a speedstrip load in my pocket.

No one knows what's going to be needed in the extreme case.

But the above is plan enough for me to try for my truck where I keep my Mini-14 .

Best,

Will
Old September 28, 2012, 11:21 AM   #10
Stressfire

Well, if I knew ahead of time that I would be in a war zone, I'd be bringing something a lot bigger than any pistol.

CCW is a compromise - it is having a personal arm that will get you out of a bad situation. Mostly, it is a matter of comfort.

I'm not much of a gambler, but I don't feel unsafe with "only" 6-10 rounds. Nor do I think that anyone who carries 3 extra mags to be insane. It's all about what makes one feel safe.
Old September 28, 2012, 02:37 PM   #11
rodeo roy

Understand the statement regarding war zone is not meant to imply that one is wrong, crazy, stupid for having a high capacity semi. To each his own.

I live in the most dangerous city in America. When gun violence happens here it is normally an up close, personal, armed stick up, car jack sort of thing, and if you can get a gun out, on target and a couple of shots then you are lucky. For my personal comfort level I have a concern about getting a semi out of safe mode, and will it work, in a panic, wheel gun is just less to worry about. I spend a lot of time working on being on target, get shots off, and for me ease of operation is factor #1, not how many shots I have.

Truth is you don't know if whatever you have is gonna be more than the bad guy has. He already has the advantage of knowing what he came to do, so if I can equalize and get off a couple of well placed, quick shots then I'm making a break for it. So in my mind the need may not be there for high capacity, if anything I would choose a bigger caliber. A real gunfight is rare even where I live. It's typically 1 or 2 bad guys, 3 to 5 shots, event over. I do understand that one would rather have more and not need it than need it and not have it and to that end I will train more for speed and accuracy.
Old September 28, 2012, 03:45 PM   #12
Stressfire

Quote:
For my personal comfort level I have a concern about getting a semi out of safe mode
Most DAO or DA/SA semis have heavy enough triggers that having a mechanical safety engaged is not a huge concern - The .380 that I carry daily is one such. I mainly use it for the decocker and only engage it as a safety for glove box storage.

I live in a pretty safe area, relatively speaking. People are not robbed and shot here every day. It happens, but it's rare.
Old September 28, 2012, 07:21 PM   #13
Crankgrinder

I started with semi, then went wheel, now back at semi but say im a wheel guy. Im comfortable with either and shoot both equaly well. Capacitys great to have, but then im hauling something around that im hoping like hell i wont ever have to use, its like buying insurance. I like my semis, but i do not feel undergunned with my sp101 and a reload or two of 158gr lswchp.

Last edited by Crankgrinder; September 28, 2012 at 07:22 PM. Reason: misspell
Old September 28, 2012, 07:44 PM   #14
orionengnr

In the six or so years I have had my CHL, I started with a G-23, went through a number of different semis (larger and smaller, polymer, steel and alloy frames), a bunch of revolvers (from Scandium J-frames to Scandium N-frames, then steel K and N-frames), and back to semis again.

In the end, I carry what I shoot best. That is a 1911. The magazine capacity is admittedly limited, but we all make our choices and live (or die) with them.

Quote:
Rules for a gunfight #10. Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it... because it is empty.
I have heard this many times, but let's consider the philosophical distinction between being beaten to death with an empty 5-shot revolver because I didn't bring a reload, and being beaten to death with an empty G17 after I have expended three 17-round mags...assuming a similar hit ratio with each. (That could be 50%, could be 100%...could be 0%)

The first indicates poor strategic planning (not enough ammo for the forseeable conflict)...the second indicates that I tried to take on an army single-handedly...which probably indicates poor tactical planning...

No matter which side you come down on, it's an interesting discussion.
Old September 29, 2012, 03:03 PM   #15
Nanuk

This subject comes around seems like every month or so. Your carry gun is a very personal choice, no one can make that choice for you.

I have been carrying a gun professionally for over 3 decades and concealed that long as well. I have also gone thru revolvers, and auto's of every shape and size.

My experience has shown me that I will carry the biggest, most powerful gun I can conceal and shoot well. I am a huge fan of the 357 Magnum, it just works. My carry gun these days in my Glock 27/33 which is a 40 Glock converted to 357 Sig. It holds (with the G23 mag I carry) 14 rounds of 125 grain Gold Dot @1450 FPS.

http://www.underwoodammo.com/357sig1...ntboxof50.aspx.

Add 1 reload to the mix and I have 27 rounds in the same size and weight package as my 640 and 15 rounds assuming I would carry 2 reloads.

If you want a revolver, carry a revolver. Whatever you carry, master it so that you can run it without conscious thought. If you have misgivings about safely handling your gun, you need more training.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old September 29, 2012, 07:11 PM   #16
Grant D

Sometimes I carry one of my 1911's,or my LC9,or one of my J frame snubb's, or a K frame snubb, but I always carry my LCP in my hip pocket, for a quick reload.
I carry a spare magazine for the LCP in my front pocket,it's the size of a bic lighter. I just can't reload a revolver fast enough,so the LCP is my reload.
Old September 29, 2012, 09:19 PM   #17
ares338

CCW Semi or wheel

I wonder why people get so ego invested over their opinion on a forum? It's not helpful. No one can say what is best for someone else. I happen to carry both semi and revolver. My semi is an XDS .45 and my wheel is loaded with 165 grain SJHP's. The thing is my semi holds 5+1 with a 5 and a 7 round backup mag...the 357 holds 5 rounds and I carry 2 speed loader backups and I don't feel underpowered or under ammo'd. I pocket carry both of these with ease. What people carry is right for them if they like it. They are carrying and that's what counts.
Old September 29, 2012, 09:51 PM   #18
peacefulgary

Quote:
The need for high capacity means I am likely in the wrong place to begin with and did not pay enough attention to my area before I walked into a war zone.
Here's some food for thought...

1. Folks often miss their target when shooting under stress.
2. Aggressive humans often require multiple hits before they cease being a threat.
3. Bad guys often work in pairs and sometimes in even larger packs.
4. You may not be given the chance to reload.

Considering all of that, a 6 shooter just doesn't seem like enough gun in my opinion.

Quote:
I think about the seceniro having to use a gun and up close and personal, quick, holding the gun, reliabilty, nerves or panic come in to play and for me that means ease of use of a wheel trumps more bullets of a semi.
Just keep the safety off your SR40c and the ease of use is exactly the same as the revolver.....draw, aim, squeeze.
Old October 4, 2012, 06:16 PM   #19
Nail Shooter

Glock G26 or G27--for capacity and the fact that they usually always go bang. Regards,

Nail
Old October 4, 2012, 09:45 PM   #20
Deja vu

I Carry my 640 in 357 magnum, my wife carries a P238 in 380acp.

To be honest carry what you like and practice with what you carry.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old October 4, 2012, 10:03 PM   #21
BoomieMCT

I'd say carry what you shoot best and carry most comfortably. No slight to the hi-cap crowd (to each their own) but even in a life-and-death situation you are responsible for every shot fired. If I had to shoot I like to think I'd make each shot count.
Old October 5, 2012, 12:58 AM   #22
armsmaster270

Both

Old October 5, 2012, 03:15 PM   #23
Arizona Fusilier

Indeed, why is it always "or"? I try to carry one of each as well.
Old October 5, 2012, 04:53 PM   #24
Nanuk

Quote:
I wonder why people get so ego invested over their opinion on a forum? It's not helpful. No one can say what is best for someone else.
I don't see any ego's here. Only helpful suggestions.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old October 5, 2012, 09:35 PM   #25
Brian48

I like the simplicity and concealability of my j-frame.