The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 13, 2011, 01:19 PM   #1
BANG

Muller Chokes

I found the article in the September 2011 ShotgunSports magazine on Muller Chokes very impressive. Has anyone tried these out? If so, I'm interested in your opinions. One feature I like is that there are only four chokes covering the range normally covered by six chokes from skeet to full.

www.mullerchokes.com
www.shotgunsportsmagazine.com
Old August 13, 2011, 01:36 PM   #2
oneounceload

Shotgunworld.com has many members who have bought them - most swear by them. If you go there and do a search you'll get a of of results.

They are ceramic-coated aluminum, making them lighter than any other and thus, purportedly, not affecting your swing dynamics by adding too much weight right at the muzzle.

My understanding is that they have also added smaller gauges as well
Old August 13, 2011, 02:02 PM   #3
mete

Swing dynamics ?? Your whole upper body and gun should act like a tanks turret ,all moving together .Adding a little bit of weight at the muzzle will make a difference only in a warped mind !
Pick a choke , always pattern the load and have fun.
Old August 13, 2011, 03:23 PM   #4
zippy13

Mete,
Take your average battle tank, hang a 1-ton weight on the end of the barrel and it will traverse slower. The same thing happens if the weight is only 1-pound, but the change is much less noticeable. It's the same with shotguns, but on a smaller scale.
Old August 14, 2011, 09:29 AM   #5
BANG

Thanks for your inputs. I oz, I searched the other forum and found lots of opinions and experiences. Thanks. I talked with a representative for Muller Chokes on the phone regarding the difference in my bore diameter (.738", both barrels) versus the factory adverticed .742" bore. Their opinion is that this difference in bore diameter will not effect (or change) use of their chokes. Perhaps so, since theirs overlap the standard chokes.

My gun is a Browing Citori 625 Sporting O/U, 12 ga.

I'll make one interesting point: When I purchased my gun, it came with five Invector Plus, Diamond Grade, extended choke tubes. The exit diameter of these chokes all matched the .738" bore diameter to give the proper constriction. Exit diameters are .733 (skeet), .728" (I-cyl), .718" (mod), .713" (I-mod) and .703" (full). These choked were matched to the bore diameter from Browning. I have since purchased a cylinder choke and it measured .742" which matches the advertised bore diameter and not mine. This was the premise for my question to Muller chokes.

Last edited by BANG; August 15, 2011 at 06:22 AM.