The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 29, 2011, 06:52 PM   #1
TheJ

Looking to get a first shotgun. Opinions?

I've been considering a first shot gun purchase for some time (couple of years) and recently have determined it's time to start somewhere. This would likely not be used for hunting. It seems there are lot's of great options out there which is a good thing. I'm thinking relatively inexpensive to start so looking at pump action. I would like shorter HD type (18"-ish) but I don't really want anything with folding stocks or pistol grip.

I've looked at several Remmington, Mossberg and Benelli. Right now, of what I've looked at, I really like the Benelli Super Nova as having good trade offs of price, features and what I'm looking for.

Any advice or suggestions?
Old July 29, 2011, 07:16 PM   #2
idek

You say it's not for hunting and, with an HD barrel, it probably isn't for clay targets. So it's HD and maybe just for fun shooting?

I think any of the guns you listed would be good. I also prefer a standard stock like you mentioned.

One thing to keep in mind if you want to customize/accessorize the gun down the road, the Remington and Mossberg will have more options than the Nova. That said, any real legitimate accessories (flashlights, slings) can certainly be added to the Nova.

If someday, you want to add a slug barrel for deer or a longer barrel for hunting/clay targets, these will be least expensive for the mossberg. I think benelli barrels may cost a little more than Remington.

I think it'll come down to which one looks and feels the best to you, because they'll function fine.
Old July 29, 2011, 07:28 PM   #3
TheJ

Quote:
You say it's not for hunting and, with an HD barrel, it probably isn't for clay targets. So it's HD and maybe just for fun shooting?
Yes that's what I'm thinking. HD and some shooting fun. I sort of figure if I want to hunt later I'll buy a more purpose made one.

Quote:
I think any of the guns you listed would be good. I also prefer a standard stock like you mentioned.

One thing to keep in mind if you want to customize/accessorize the gun down the road, the Remington and Mossberg will have more options than the Nova. That said, any real legitimate accessories (flashlights, slings) can certainly be added to the Nova.

If someday, you want to add a slug barrel for deer or a longer barrel for hunting/clay targets, these will be least expensive for the mossberg. I think benelli barrels may cost a little more than Remington.

I think it'll come down to which one looks and feels the best to you, because they'll function fine.
I'm not likely to get too crazy with customization on this. Perhaps later some normal accessories (sling, light) that you mentioned in the future but that would be it. I think I'd be looking at getting something with Ghost Ring sights to start and just stick with that on this.

Thanks for the help
Old July 29, 2011, 08:07 PM   #4
Bernie Lomax

The Mossberg 590A1 Persuader, the Winchester Defender and the Remington 870 are the big three of HD shotties. Gun Tests ran a good article comparing the three, which someone posted on this XD talk thread:

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/non-xd-...-defender.html

My own two cents worth is that if you go with the Persuader, I don't think you'll be disappointed. That's what I have and I love it to pieces.
Old July 29, 2011, 08:15 PM   #5
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Let me share a tidbit of info for you to ponder... Any gun called HD/SD/Tactical/Assault will lack the final steps many want in fit and finish.

Plastic stocks are not heavily fiber reinforced if at all so they are tupperware.

The steel will lack final sanding and polishing so when they blue it, it can resemble "Parkerized". But it rusts easier than a polished blue barrel.

And for all this lack of class... they tack an extra hundred bucks on the MSRP!
$308... 2 barrels both polished and blued and nice wood stocks...
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/46907
The above is smooth and rich (for a cheap gun anyway) and has the versatility of the longer barrel should the need arise... and on the bright side, the PGO grip will sell for $15 easily so you can buy more practice ammo...

I chose the one below just because it has a traditional shaped stock...
$319...
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/72896

The extra 2 rounds isn't something I would miss...
Brent
Old July 29, 2011, 08:16 PM   #6
Deja vu

I would go with the 870 because it is a great home defense shotgun and if you ever decide to take up hunting or shooting clays it is very easy to do a barrel or a choke swap for pretty cheep. There is all so lots of aftermarket modifications you can add if you are in to that kind of thing.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old July 29, 2011, 08:45 PM   #7
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Do not buy one yet.

Go hang out at the range.A well spoken and polite newbie will get LOTS of advice (Some of it even good) and probably get to try a few shotguns.

There's lots of good choices out there.After a few road tests you'll have a better idea of what will work best for you....
Old July 29, 2011, 09:40 PM   #8
T. O'Heir

You need to decide how much money you want to spend. If a Benelli isn't out of the question, they're not exactly 'inexpensive', you only need to think about which one you like the most and fits you best.
"...Any gun called HD/SD/Tactical/Assault..." Is about marketing. As are folding stocks or pistol grips. A pistol grip only shotgun is the most useless thing on Earth too. However, a pistol gripped stock is not.
"...think Benelli barrels may cost a little more than..." And that's if you can find one. Rumour has it that Benelli takes barrels off the production line when they get an order.
Old July 30, 2011, 12:52 PM   #9
TheJ

I sincerely appreciate everyone's input.

I could probably afford a top shelf gun if I knew I wanted or needed that but I figure I would start with something under 500 and see how that goes.
Old August 1, 2011, 03:48 AM   #10
Rustle in the Bushes

go to a gunshop and pick up each of these, shoulder them and stare down the barrel. After trying this a few times with each judge which one had you looking down the barrel naturally as you bring the gun to your cheek. This fit is important as well as controls of the slide release and safety knob. Those are all great guns, pick the one that you find is easiest/simplest to operate and fits the best.

Basically the mossy and remmy are available for reasonable $$ in that configuration but if you have the cash you might want to spring for the benelli, 870 police/wingmaster or mossberg 590A1. These are nice guns for the serious mall ninja like myself!

Benellis are super nice and can shoot whatever size of shot, but accessories are harder, thought not impossible, to get vs the other guns. Not a big deal if youre planning on leaving stock. i stinkin love mine
Old August 1, 2011, 06:03 AM   #11
Slugo

Out of everything mentioned...

I would opt for the Benelli Super Nova. Fit, finish, reliability and durability far exceeds the other guns. If it were me, I would also consider a Browning BPS which sits at the top of all slider guns. Life is too short to drink cheap whiskey or shoot cheap shotguns!

Just my 2 cents...
Old August 1, 2011, 06:14 AM   #12
*NOVA*

Mossberg 500 or 590 with one modification, a Spec Ops / Blackhawk recoil supressing stock. Has a pistol grip and adjustable stock so you can custom fit for the best pull distance. You'll still be under $500.00. Another advantage to Mossberg is the easy barrel exchange. Wally World sells Mossberg barrels really cheap. There are a half dozen barrels to choose from!
Old August 1, 2011, 10:10 AM   #13
BBroadside

I chose the 870 Express because (a) I am cheapskate and (b) I had exactly the same criteria as the OP. Defending my home against zombies is priority one; clays are priority two because they are fun and a good way to get used to loading, shouldering, and pulling the trigger.

The 870 has tons of spare barrels. My original was a vent-rib, choke tube-threaded, 28" barrel for birds, skeet, or clays. It is really a middle of the road thing, not specialized for trap or duckies or any of that. (Still, I shoot trap way better than skeet.) My new barrel is a Wingmaster (pretty blued instead of fake Parkerized) 20" thing with adjustable open sights; I found it plenty accurate with Brenneke slugs.

The barrels are easy to change. The Express is much cheaper than the Wingmaster but of course the latter has better quality. If I were you I wouldn't buy a Wingmaster until I had compared it to several competitors for personal fit; I was brave/foolhardy enough to plunk three hundred something for an Express just based on shouldering it at the store a few times.

Fit is nice; the finish is not rust resistant but my safe is set up for a few old military things with lots of rust-prone patches where the finish has worn off. A dry-rod and/or Bullfrog emitter should be enough to protect even a cheapy Express.

So now I need to take class in home defense shotgunning. Zombies don't behave quite like clay pigeons, I heard.
Old August 1, 2011, 01:37 PM   #14
BigJimP

+1 on Dave's comments above --- go to a range before you buy ..and talk to some shooters ...and find out what they bought / why / would they buy it again..

I'm by no means an expert on HD shotguns ...my interest in shotguns is in clays and hunting birds ...but most of the HD shotguns with 18" barrels come with a fixed cyclinder choke - they don't have the option of changeable screw in chokes. So it doesn't mean you can't change barrels - but you might find that a new barrel will cost you as much as you paid for the gun originally.

Most general use shotguns ...with 26" or 28" barrels - can also double as HD guns .../ maybe not optimal "Fighting guns" but certainly defensive ../ but if you want to hang out with the "cool defensive shotgun guys" they'll laugh at anything over 18" .../ but the question is, what do you want ....to have, to have some fun with, etc....

as a story ...my youngest is in his 30's ...and 5 or 6 of his buddies over the last 5 yrs bought HD shotguns ...they all shot them a little / but now, as he and I shoot more clays ...and some of them are getting into clays - and having some fun .....the HD guns are locked in their safes - have not been fired in over 3 yrs ..( not any of them ) ...and all of those guys are now buying semi-autos, pumps or Over Unders in 26", 28" or 30" barrels to go out and have some fun with ....with screw in chokes ...on clays, birds, etc ...

Personally, I rely on my 1911's for HD ...not my shotguns ...but any of my shotguns would be just fine for HD as well ..if I choose to use them .../ its "Defense" after all - not a gunfight at the ok corral ...or a video game massacre...and it'll be over in about 3 seconds ...according to most experts.

Just think thru what you want ...

If you really want a good HD shotgun ...Benelli M-4 is another very good option.

A very versatile - general purpose pump gun ...is the Browning BPS Hunter model with a 28" barrel ....even though I have well over a dozen shotguns ...I still have BPS Hunter models in 12ga and 20ga that I purchased in the late 1970's with screw in chokes...they're very good guns ...retailing new for around
$ 500 these days - and there are some good used ones around too.
Old August 10, 2011, 07:46 PM   #15
TheJ

I appreciate everyone's help. After much fondling, trying out several models belonging to others and taking a course on shot guns.. I made a purchase. I got a brand new Benelli Super Nova with a +2 extension for 399.00. From my research it seems like a pretty decent deal.
Old August 10, 2011, 08:16 PM   #16
Rustle in the Bushes

"I appreciate everyone's help. After much fondling, trying out several models belonging to others and taking a course on shot guns.. I made a purchase. I got a brand new Benelli Super Nova with a +2 extension for 399.00. From my research it seems like a pretty decent deal."

you must be talking about the norinco supernova.

lawl
Old August 10, 2011, 10:33 PM   #17
zippy13

+2 on Dave's comment
Try before you buy.
Old August 11, 2011, 04:05 AM   #18
TheJ

Quote:
you must be talking about the norinco supernova.
Lol
Old August 11, 2011, 04:14 AM   #19
youngunz4life

mossberg 500 or remington 870 police magnum

3rd choice: double-barreled shotgun if you don't want a pump shotgun