The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 8, 2011, 06:54 PM   #1
Georgian

Nostalgia?

Hey yall. Here lately I have been thinking about picking up a single-barrel shotgun, just to have fun with. My first firearm was an H&R Topper Model 58 20 gauge. Man I love that gun. It left a big impression on me, as my grandfather gave it to me. I was thinking of just buying a brand new H&R Topper JR in 20 gauge from Buds, going for $144 brand spanking new. I'm looking for something that handles the same as my Model 58, and another 20 gauge would be perfect. What do yall think? Theres just something about single-shot shotguns.....

God Bless
Old August 8, 2011, 07:05 PM   #2
Slugo

I think one of those would be allot of fun! I just love their simplistic design...
Old August 8, 2011, 07:31 PM   #3
Murrdock

Every game bird I've ever shot (including turkeys) have been with a single shot NEF 20 ga. or a 1970's H & R 12 gauge that I found in the dump.

Break actions are cheap, rugged, reliable, and you don't care if you beat em up in the truck cause they only cost about $100.
Old August 9, 2011, 03:16 AM   #4
BrittB

I love mine and it's very accurate. One shot, one kill! I like it so much that I'm considering getting a 410 also. I also added an elastic shell sleave that goes on the stock and holds five shells. With a little prictice, you can reload very quickly.