The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 31, 2011, 09:50 AM   #1
dgludwig

Best Light For Self-defense Shotgun?

I'm thinking about putting a light on my Benelli Nova that already has an extended magazine installed. I'm interested in a reliable, bright light that is easily installed (no gunsmithing services required), having an easily accessed switch and costing less than the shotgun did ().

Any suggestions, advice and inputs are welcome. Thanks.
Old July 31, 2011, 10:27 AM   #2
Slugo

In my humble opinion...

none! Why give away your position...
Old July 31, 2011, 11:56 AM   #3
TheKlawMan

Quote:
Why give away your position...
Use the light if ambient light is insufficient to positively identify the target and perhaps the level of the threat. (Did you forget that the daughter's boyfriend was spending the night on your downstairs couch. If it is an intruder, is a 13 year old kid making off with your TV or a 250 pound guy holding a 9?)

I think the idea of a good switch is you are able to hit it while keeping your weapon trained on the perceived threat.

Some believe that certain lights momentarily disorient and blind a threat,
Old July 31, 2011, 12:18 PM   #4
zippy13

The best light for home defense just might be a whole house remote light controller on your night stand.
Old July 31, 2011, 12:54 PM   #5
dgludwig

Quote:
none! Why give away your position...
Are you saying that I have to turn the light on? Doesn't having a switch give me the option of either not giving away my position or announcing it?
Let me rephrase my original invite: Any suggestions, advice and inputs pertaining to which light would be best for affixing it to the end of a Benelli Nova shotgun are welcome. Thanks.

I'm a retired le who has spent a lot of time and doing a lot of research concerning not only which light might be best for my purposes but whether I should have one at all. I have concluded that I do and now I'm interested in hearing from those people who are familiar with the various products and who would be kind enough to offer their opinions of them.
Old July 31, 2011, 03:21 PM   #6
Sahagan

I don't recommend the devices which are two curved bits of metal that mount on the barrel or extension, and allow you to add a light by tightening a small bolt between them.

A Nova recoils sufficiently that you won't be able to get the holder tight enough to actually keep it where you want it (it'll also scratch your gun as it slides along).

I recommend adding an inch or so of rail, on the forearm if possible, and then adding the light. I use for my Saiga 12's, Streamlight TLR 1's. I can reach the switches easily with a finger when shouldering and pointing the gun, and the difference between momentary light and always on is merely in direction you move the switch.

I use TLR 3's on some other guns as well. In common with the TLR 1, removal is a breeze, as is attachment to start with. One of my concealment weapons is a Ruger SR9c, on which I have a TLR 3 (well, I have a Kel-Tec PF9 with the same light thereupon). I remove the light during the day, placing it in another pouch or pocket, and when light goes, I put it back on.

As far as I'm concerned, if it be a home or self defense weapon, it must needs have a light. Either of the lights I've mentioned above will blind anyone looking directly into them. Shucks, I can't stand to look at one without flinching and losing sight for a few seconds, even when reflected in a bedroom dresser mirror.

And having kids and grandkids galore, potential accidental victim identification is of the utmost importance to me....
Old July 31, 2011, 07:54 PM   #7
BBroadside

Sahagan, what you say is interesting and I'm leaning in that direction. Until I find a pot of gold I'll be limited to one shotgun; fortunately I have two barrels - 20" for defending my home against zombies and 28" for defending the trap range against miniature orange flying saucers. It's an 870 Express; I am reluctant to spring for a SureFire forend when there are so many other guns I want.

Not too hard to remove the light, I gather. How unsightly is the naked rail? Or, how hard is it to remove the rail? I gather that there are shotgun rails so short they wouldn't interfere with balance too much. I'll probably end up biting the pellet and leaving the rail on for trap & skeet, but I'm curious as to how many eyebrows that will raise.
Old August 1, 2011, 08:34 AM   #8
Outdoorsman5

I'd recommend the Maelstrom X7 weapon light which is made by 4sevens. It produces 480 lumens, and is built to withstand the recoil from a 12ga. It has a one inch diameter making it the perfect size for most weapon mounts. Here is a video review of the older edition (Maelstrom X5.) -
http://www.youtube.com/user/nutnfanc...13/1O202lbOJ4Q

The new Maelstrom X7 has an upgraded LED making it brighter than the older Maelstrom X5. Check it out at 4sevens.com -
http://www.4sevens.com/product_info....oducts_id=2613
Old August 1, 2011, 09:03 AM   #9
dgludwig

Thanks Sahagen and Outdoorsman5. Your insights are much appreciated and will help me make a choice that's right for me.
Old August 1, 2011, 09:05 AM   #10
dgludwig

Quote:
I'll probably end up biting the pellet and leaving the rail on for trap & skeet, but I'm curious as to how many eyebrows that will raise.
Leave the light on too. That'll really raise some eyebrows.
Old August 1, 2011, 10:01 AM   #11
BBroadside

Okay, new sport: Night Skeet. No lights allowed except what is mounted on your shotgun. And the flashers on the police cars.

"But officer, I though that's how you're supposed to shoot skeet. Otherwise, why do they even make lights for shotguns?"

(From, "New Ways of Going to Jail" by B. Broadside.)
Old August 8, 2011, 03:34 AM   #12
Jamaicanj

I have a surefire forearm for my benelli m1 and I love it. Not sure if surefire makes one for the nova
Old August 8, 2011, 01:10 PM   #13
swinokur

I have a Surefire fore end but it cost more than my 870.

Check out:

www.elzetta.com