The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old June 19, 2005, 08:36 PM   #26
drinks

Harley;
I inherited a 190 from my mother about 15 years ago, was in storage until this spring, I removed the trigger group and removed the bolt and return spring, reinstalling the spring took at least 5 tries, but it is back together and shoots well.
I would really appreciate a copy of the instructions, if you would be so kind.
[email protected]
Old August 3, 2005, 04:37 PM   #27
cotton25

winchester 190 takedown instructions

could you please email those instructions to me also???

Thanks so much in advance.!@

[email protected]
Old August 5, 2005, 10:13 PM   #28
cannoncocker

New Guy Here needing 190 info

I just logged on to this site... and after looking around here, I found this thread...Please send me Dis/Ass of the 190 . I picked one up awhile back and I have made no attempt to tear into it without the instructions. I would really appreciate it if someone could send it to me.

Thanks
Kevin
[email protected]
Old September 24, 2005, 06:30 PM   #29
tristanhearn

I just aquired the same model rifle

Could I be sent the takedown guide too?
Old September 24, 2005, 08:15 PM   #30
FlyinGN

can I get a copy too??? Thanks!
Old September 26, 2005, 10:34 PM   #31
Grimmerspeak

Wow!

I'm glad I found this forum. It seems that the documentation on this rifle wasn't well preserved. I'm just glad I'm not the only one. I have my Winchester 190 that I learned to shoot with a very (very) long time ago. It was left to me by my Grampa when he died and it is in excellent shape. I just don't have a clue how to break it down to make sure it stays that way. It's driving me crazy! I mean I can usually figure out how to break down any rifle (course somnetimes I can't get back together). Anyway, Please send me any disassembly instruction that you can. It would be greatly appreciated.

Shawn

[email protected]
Old September 27, 2005, 01:47 AM   #32
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

Grimmspeak

Info sent by separate email

HJN
Old September 27, 2005, 06:20 AM   #33
FlyinGN

thanks Harley!!!!
Old September 27, 2005, 11:16 AM   #34
lobolopez

Winchester 190 Takedown

I also have a winchester model 190. Could you please email me that manual as well? I have been looking for it for a lot of time but in Europe it is very difficult to get it. Thank you very much.
My e-mail is [email protected]
Old September 28, 2005, 08:39 AM   #35
lobolopez

Winchester 190

Thanks a lot for the manual, Harley.
I though i never could get it.
Regards.
Old October 6, 2005, 09:09 PM   #36
Xavier Phoenix

I just aquired the model 190 and can't find any cleaning information.

Can you send that information my way Harley? [email protected]

Thanks!
Old October 8, 2005, 05:44 PM   #37
ntman

If I could get a copy of that, I will post it on my server where others can download it. My email is [email protected]

Thank you in advance
Old October 9, 2005, 10:52 AM   #38
ntman

I would like to thank Harley for sending me the breakdown documents so quickly. I have uploaded them to my server and have them on a webpage and available for download. Everyone is welcome to visit the site to get them. Harley and TheFiringLine.com get full credit for the images on the site. Again, thank you for your quick response to my request.

Here is the link: http://www.swishercs.com/winchester

Bart Swisher
Old October 10, 2005, 10:04 AM   #39
Gary Conner

Problem on reassembling model 190 trigger and bolt

I just finished rebuilding a model 190 Winchester after Mr. Nolan sent me the take down instructions.
I, like a lot of others, had a bunch of trouble in re-inserting the bolt and the trigger housing properly, as the cartridge would not enter the chamber, and after about ten or twelve tries, if finally dawned on me that the problem was the long bolt that mounts the stock after inserting the bolt spring into the channel, was pushing the metal clip that rests under the bolt, out to where the extractor would not work, as the bolt could not come back far enough.

If anyone is taking that model apart, it is a pain to try to get back together unless you figure it out, and you can only figure it out by looking straight down at the mounting bolt, and noticing the gap between the clip and the back of the housing.
GMC
Old October 26, 2005, 02:18 PM   #40
roninuta

please please please

I got one of these from my grandfather in 1989. neither he no I ever opened the box. It is in mint condition but no manual.

Would you mind sending me the takedown please. Thanks in advance.
Old January 16, 2006, 03:39 AM   #41
Wyseguy

In need of Winchester 190 takedown info

Harley,
I hate to sound like a broken record, but I need takedown instructions for my Winchester 190 as well. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

[email protected]

I just viewed the link to the take down guide provided by ntman. It's great. My complements to ntman and Harley.

Last edited by Wyseguy; January 17, 2006 at 07:34 PM.
Old February 1, 2006, 11:58 AM   #42
4majorchaos

Winchester 190

Harley- I am also needing the takedown instructions for the Win 190. If you could send them to me at [email protected] I would greatly appreciate it.
Old February 2, 2006, 10:29 AM   #43
jlyent

190 trigger & reassembly

dbct,i bent the trigger spring on my 190 and it lightened to 3.5 lbs. on the stock bolt problem, if you install the stud first you can position the metal clip (recoil plate is what winchester calls it) in the proper spot. the instructions claim stock removal is not recomended in normal disassembly, however i find the easy way to install th bolt spring & guide is with the stock off. you insert bolt spring& guide from rear, compess spring, hold in place with metal ruler & slide stock on. jim y
Old February 11, 2006, 10:22 PM   #44
durasolar

Winchester takedown manual

I just received a very dirty Winchester 190 without any takedown instructions or manual. I also would appreciate it if you could email a copy of any manuals you have to help me in rejuvinating this oldie.
Thanks,
Mike
[email protected]

Last edited by durasolar; February 14, 2006 at 07:24 PM.
Old June 9, 2006, 10:33 AM   #45
TEX CHL

Just a note to say thanks to Harley for the original info and to ntman for putting it up on the site. My dad bought his in 1967 and I inherited it upon his death in '71. It's been shot a few times since then but never had a decent bath. It's long overdue for a good cleaning.
Old June 10, 2006, 02:12 PM   #46
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

Not me.

Somehow, in over 50 years of messing with many different kinds of firearms, I've never had possession of a Winchester 190. Nor, I guess, have any of my shooting buddies ever had theilrs at the range while I was present. Truly, I can't recall ever shooting or even holding one in my hands. Doesn't speak well for the breadth of experience of a firearms enthusiast, does it?

Judging by all the participants in this and a similar thread, there must have been a time, though, when the Win 190 was the then-current equivalent of the Ruger 10/22 or Marlin Model 60.

This, then, is the other side of the service that Harley Nolden provides - - Not only the esoterica of the firearms world, but valuable references on the more everyday American rimfires.

Harley, we all owe you a vote of thanks for all that you do.

Johnny
Old June 12, 2006, 09:06 PM   #47
dura_ace

need disassembly/assembly directions photos

Harley
I found this thread on google and joined the firing line forum to get the instructions on the the takedown of a winchester 190. I would really appreciate if you could send me the instructions to [email protected]
larry venable
Old June 24, 2006, 01:01 PM   #48
VincentB

No need to take the barrel off to REALLY clean the chamber. do what we do with 10/22's and my T/C Classic. Go get a 22 CENTERFIRE bore brush, bass bristles for sure an brass core if you can. Use and empty 22 lr case to judge howdeep the chamber is. add just a touch more in length. Now bend the brush about 90* that far back from the tip of the brush. Now you can stick that front part into the chamber tru the ejection port and the back, theaded part can be rocked back and forth (not in and out, but you can do that too) and you will clean the lead ring that builds in front of the chamber. This works great for cleaning the chamber and you can do it right at the range whenever you need to. Just throw it in your range kit.

After scrubbing the chamber this way follow up by running a patch or 4 thru it. Thats it. WAY easier tha taking things apart.

I recently worked on one of these interesting little guns. It is a LITTLE strange in design but I liked it.
Old June 28, 2006, 08:46 PM   #49
DaveJack

Need Winchester 190 breakdown instructions

I have had the rifle since the 70s. I have lost my instruction book through various moves. Would appreciate a copy of the instructions.
Old June 29, 2006, 11:38 PM   #50
afrobob

Me too

So I would also like the takedown manual to the Winchester Model 190. Could someone send it to me at [email protected] ?
Thanks,
-Steve