The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 1, 2010, 02:44 AM   #1
Ryan.30

Rcbs die leaves ring around bullet

It's .30 06 ,it leaves a small tiny ring around the bullet when it seats it can anyone shed some light?
Old October 1, 2010, 06:20 AM   #2
PA-Joe

Sounds like you may be over crimping and the ring is a result. You can try crimping in a separate step or you can polish the inside of the seating plug.
Old October 1, 2010, 06:31 AM   #3
Sport45

Where is the ring on the bullet? It may just be where the seating plug is in contact with the ogive of the bullet. If so, you can lap the inside edge of the seating plug a bit to reduce the ring if it bothers you.
Old October 1, 2010, 08:53 AM   #4
Ryan.30

I'd say about a 1/4 inch from the tip of the bullet you can barely see it, but if you run your finger nail over it you can feel it catch. I read on another forum it doesn't affect accuracy but still I don't like it
Old October 1, 2010, 11:01 AM   #5
wncchester

You need a better seating die, try a Lee.

Naw, just funning you. Your die is fine.

Your bullets are a tad too hard to seat so the seater plug is cutting the jacket. It's really harmless but irratating.

Put a soft radius on the edge of the seating plug as PA Joe suggests. Chuck the seating stem in a drill motor, lay a turn of medium sandpaper around a pencil point and use it to soften the edge of the seater pocket.

And do any seating and crimping in two steps.
Old October 1, 2010, 11:21 AM   #6
44 AMP
Staff

Also make sure your brass is chamfered at the mouth.
Old October 1, 2010, 12:03 PM   #7
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Take your seating plug out of the die and use an appropriately sized bore mop chucked in a cordless drill and a liberal amount of Flitz polishing compound to make it smooth. Depending on where exactly the die actually contacts the bullet, you may also want to drill out the seating plug so that it touches very close to full diameter (use a drill press, that hole REALLY needs to be centered) and then polish it.
Old October 1, 2010, 12:06 PM   #8
temmi

"Sounds like you may be over crimping and the ring is a result. You can try crimping in a separate step or you can polish the inside of the seating plug. "

I agree... and I do Crimp in a separate step... thaks a tad bit mor time but it gives a "More harmonious outcome"
Old October 1, 2010, 12:37 PM   #9
GeauxTide

If you're not using an auto, don't crimp. You could also try some graphite lube when you resize
Old October 2, 2010, 10:30 PM   #10
Action_Can_Do

I had this problem with my 41 magnum seating die. It was caused by a burr in the seating plug. It had to be polished out.
Old October 2, 2010, 11:37 PM   #11
cdoc42

Didn't he say "30-06?" Does anyone crimp rifle bullets?
Old October 2, 2010, 11:47 PM   #12
TXGunNut

Where is the ring? If it's where the seating plug contacts the bullet it indicates significant pressure involved in seating the bullet; compressed load?
On the shank of the bullet it indicates a tight crimp, crimps are not needed for bolt guns or single shots. Semi-autos and leverguns need only a moderate crimp at most, light crimp and proper neck tension should suffice in most cases.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old October 4, 2010, 12:28 PM   #13
howlnmad

The OP said the ring is just below the tip. Meaning the seating plug is the wrong angle for the bullet ogive.
You have 3 choices...
1- Live with it

2- Soften the inner edge of the seating plug

3- Send RCBS one of your bullets and they will custom grind a seating plug to fit the ogive