The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old August 1, 2007, 12:38 PM   #26
Wildalaska

Quote:
Hey it's another gun in the safe right!?
Or be a schlump, carry two!

WildhashiscleantshirtointodayAlaska
Old August 1, 2007, 02:37 PM   #27
Groundhog

If you were OC and it looked like your piece was going to fall out of it's holster, I would probably politely alert you to that fact as I'm sure you wouldn't want to lose it. If it was CCW then I should never know.

I sort of suspect that few people, myself included, in the gun community would judge your style of dress. If I didn't know you and met you at the range the topic would not be brought up by me. If you were a friend and brought it up, I'd probably do the standard male thing and offer you all kinds of tips and advice until I thought the better of it and asked you if you were just venting.

Why are you concerned about your appearance though? I thought all you Alaska types looked like dough nut destroying lumberjacks or something!

"Remember, a valid point never overrules a family tradition." - Me
Old August 1, 2007, 02:55 PM   #28
Wildalaska

You guys are confusing schlumpiness with style.

Nothing can be farther apart.

Style is a young man with a baseball hat on backwards, baggy pants, unlaced shoes and a long athletic jersey....

Schlump is a guy with jelly donut on his too small T-shirt (with a silly logo), belly peeking out coyly from under, half mast fly on kahki baggy pants, mismatched socks and Haband vinyl black slip ons.

Or take me on Sunday: Baggy kahki shorts dragged down on right side due to seecamp in pocket, torn back pocket when my switchblade accidently opened, black cotton socks decorated with little embroidered sushis, one up, one down; Teva sandals, egg yolk in my beard and a Kalashnikitty T Shirt (with milkshake dribble)...topped off with a camo hat (worn goober style) with the price tags still on it.

I picked up SWMBO at work, walked into her store and she threw me out, while apologizing to the customers saying "sorry, that is my disgusting husband, don't be scared". Later it was the more serious lecture which ended up with me on my knees bowing and confessing to her that I was sorry and I am am a disgusting American etc etc, which is a mouthful in japanese needless to say.

By the way, to digress, SWMBO wants all of you male Kalshnikitty shirt wearers to know that you are either unmanly or perverts..."Why man wear Kitty-chan shirt? I know she cute with gun but Kitty-chan is woman thing. Disgusting old man not wear kitty-chan shirt, not manly, maybe you like guy who grab cutie schoolgirl butt on subway train, dirty old man. I dont understand American gun thing".

I love it

WildhellokalashnikittyAlaska
Old August 1, 2007, 03:00 PM   #29
Groundhog

Quote:
Well, I suppose if it was a style then you could just alter it at your whim. Now if it's a way of life on the other hand...

Old August 2, 2007, 07:54 AM   #30
ferretray

Schlumpy is a guy who is too lazy to care for himself and his equipment.
One can find decent clothing at the Salvation Army thrift store.
We can find a holster to carry a pistol in a safe manner for a reasonable price.
It's more about attitude. You'll probably find me in jeans and boots, with a ironed shirt. The jeans have some wear but they are not torn or stained. the boots are shined. I won't need a shave or a haircut. My pistol is clean and lubed, carried in a quality holster.
I'm the guy most folks don't pay much attention to. Average middle-aged American. No firearms patches, logo's or clothing. I'll spend the money on ammo, thank you. I'd say spending my money on the firearm itself is enough of an endorsement.
I won't associate with people who give the firearms community a blackeye. By this I don't mean the average country boy. I had a friend in the Corps who was from a dirt-poor family in Arkansas. These folks lived what some would call "Close to the earth". They damn sure kept themselves as squared-away as they could, under the circumstances. It was a point of pride with them.
To me, it's about doing the best you can with what you've got. I sacrifice in other areas so I can afford the things I need to acquire my firearms and equipment, and the means to stay proficient with them. I spend money on good carry gear so as to be able to go about armed without endangering or frightening the public.
Old August 2, 2007, 08:42 AM   #31
JoeBlackSpade

Alaska you're a funny old boy. I'd pay to read your stuff.

Do you have any articles in magazines, or anything? You'd be like the Dave Barry of the gun world. Or maybe the Larry the Cable Guy...

In any case, as I said above, I don't mind schlumpy, but I do mind lack of safety. Your weapon should be secured, and you should be highly disciplined about that aspect of it. From your post, I couldn't exactly tell if you were describing a dangling pistol or not, but it kinda' sounded like it dangles.

A person can't get killed with an untied shoelace (at least not without some serious flexibility and Chuck Norris-style practice) but a firearm that's dangling from your shorts can be dropped, or snatched in an instant. As a Marine Close Combat Instructor, I spent a whole lot of time training in weapons RETENTION- one of the least emphasized, yet most important, disciplines associated with firearms. Wear butt-crack pants if you want, or even speedos and black socks, but your weapon is a whole different matter, IMHO.

DANG! Every time I read this thread I want a jelly doughnut.

Last edited by JoeBlackSpade; August 3, 2007 at 09:11 AM.
Old August 2, 2007, 09:47 AM   #32
Groundhog

Quote:
or even speedos and black socks
If you DO go this route, please post a pic. It will only enhance your internet celebrity status!

Old August 2, 2007, 05:06 PM   #33
JunyTuck

Iv'e seen a couple of pics of Wild before on this forum and trust me you don't want to see him in a Speedo!! A toga or one of those lime green jump suits would be most appropriate. Larry the Cable Guy of Alaska? Pretty close!
But his keen sense of humor, coupled with his knowledge of guns, and his ability to cut to the chase w/o all the BS is enjoyed by all.
Old August 2, 2007, 05:31 PM   #34
WIN71

Schlumpy is as Schlumpy does. It's the too cool in school, matching everything too pretty guy you got to keep an eye on. Leave dumpy schlumpy alone.
Old August 2, 2007, 06:24 PM   #35
MacGille

WA, schlumps do't bother me, but if you are a schlemiel, or a putz I may avoid you.

At our range no holsters are allowed on the firing line. A matter of safety. also no loaded firearms behind the yellow line.(just at the rear of the benches.)

Isn't it true that the Yiddish language has more insulting terms than any other?
If ye love wealth better than Liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animated contest of Freedom, go from us in Peace. We ask not your counsel or Arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen. --Samuel Adams--<*ixoye><
Old August 2, 2007, 06:46 PM   #36
Wildalaska

Enjoy, bubeleh

http://www.yiddishdictionaryonline.com/

WildimashmegeggeeAlaska
Old August 2, 2007, 06:49 PM   #37
Edward429451

I think I must equate schlumpiness with blue collar working class. Ya ever see the plumber/tradesman at the end of the day?
Old August 2, 2007, 06:58 PM   #38
Wildalaska

Quote:
I think I must equate schlumpiness with blue collar working class. Ya ever see the plumber/tradesman at the end of the day?
No no thats the fruit of honest toil at the end of the day. The true shlump looks like that when he wakes up.

Sort of like the lumpy kid in high school with glasses held together with a band-aid, the tail of his shirt poking out his fly, two missed belt loops, untied Hush Puppies with worn down heels, button down shirt with the collar wings unbuttoned, ink stained pocket and a booger on his sleeve.

WildthatsmeAlaska
Old August 2, 2007, 07:29 PM   #39
Thunderhawk88

The folks I worry about are the guy dressed in designer shorts and polo shirt, with shoes that cost as much as one of my Rugers, and the Gal with him in skin-tight pants with 3" spiked heels, out in the desert shooting custom guns.
Plain 'ol working Joe, in jeans and Teeshirt, who has to save six months for a new gun is OK with me. Hell, that's how I dress most of the time.

About 20 years ago I was repairing some equipment at the Sheriff's Department Shooting range. While getting some needed parts from my car, a nasty, beat-up, muti-colored (plus rust) Chevy van pulled into the parking lot. Four guys got out. Long hair, dirty clothes, real scuzzy looking dudes. Now I'm a bit worried.
Out of the back of the van the pull a few bags, and some heavy duty weapons...Uzis and stuff!!! Now I'm about to imitate the bird that sits in the tree above your fresh-washed car!
Then, they all hung badges around their necks....they were the Narc. officers, and when I was done fixing stuff I got to spend a while talking with them and watching the shoot.
Old August 2, 2007, 11:22 PM   #40
redblair

I don't care what you look like. So long as you don't smell too bad and when talking to yourself you aren't using more than one voice!

As long as you're safe, I'm fine with what ever you want to wear.

B

Dec. 15, 1791
Old August 3, 2007, 06:43 AM   #41
tegemu

To some degree I share your pain. I always thought the NAVY bought high quality flightgear. However my leather flight jacket shrunk enormously after I retired. I didn't even know leather would shrink.
Old August 3, 2007, 06:36 PM   #42
JunyTuck

Schlumpy in Texas is a guy that lives in a trailer, drinks beer from a quart bottle, and goes shirtless with cut-off jean shorts and black socks and Wal- Mart tennis shoes. He couldn't touch his toes on a bet, in fact he can't see his toes!! He claims to be a Democrat but hasn't voted in years if at all.
He smokes incessantly, and is convinced that the cancer scare is a Communist conspiracy.
Every appliance and car he has owned is in the front yard, but he has a new Bass boat, and the latest technology for his 60 " TV. Seeing Springer in Hi-Def is a priority!!
Old August 3, 2007, 09:29 PM   #43
Hemicuda

Quote: "How do you, as a responsible gun owner, deal with a situation presented by shlumpy old me. Lets say you are at the range, and observe this horror? Do you say something? How about the shooting buddy whose gear is so mismatched and worn poorly as to be comical ? Do you try to correct him?"

I AM the "buddy whose gear is so mismatched and worn poorly as to be comical"...so... how do I answer?

gun and car collector.
Rare cars, and rarer guns.

Last edited by Hemicuda; August 4, 2007 at 10:55 AM.
Old August 3, 2007, 09:56 PM   #44
Thunderhawk88

Quote:
Well then, damn, I've got style!