The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 3, 1999, 08:25 PM   #1
texas hunter

I own a 30-378 Weatherby. Looking into any mods (It has a muzzle break) to tame recoil, Does anyone have experience with the Mercury
recoil suppressors? Whats the very best recoil butt Pad available?
Old January 3, 1999, 10:25 PM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

Pachmayr Decelerator. Shot a .375 H&H which was a pounder. Then it was magnaported with a Decelerator added. Combined both greatly reduced the felt recoil to that of a 30-06. My only objection to the mercury insert is the increased weight and more to carry, but if your gun isn't a hunting rifle, who cares?
Old January 4, 1999, 10:38 PM   #3
ShadedDude

I looked into mercury compensators and was pretty happy with them until I talked to one old timer who had played with them.

He says that it can affect the accuracy...when after you fire, and the mercury slams to the back...it will again move and start to flatten, changing the weight in the rifle as the bullet travels down the barrel, and thus making the rifle bob.

Take that FWIW as it is only a story I heard from one benchrest nut. I personaly have had no expereince with the mercury, I dont know if I ever will, but I wonder if mercury is faster than a speeding bullet. Guess I'll have to find Superman to ask him

------------------

Mouse Assassins inc.
Old January 5, 1999, 04:37 PM   #4
Bob Thompson

Tex, I also shoot a 30-378 in a fine Savage heavy varmint rifle for some serious long range target shooting. I load max. charges of slow burning powder and heavy bullets for minium trajectory and most shooting is of the bench where recoil is more noticible. My solution along with a fine muzzle brake was to remove the buttpad on my synthetic stock, remove the foam filler and fill with as many hardcast bullets that would fit tightly and replace the recoil pad. For me this worked very well indeed. Recoil was much more tolorable and should I ever hunt with the rifle I'll just remove the weight and absorb the recoil for the 1 or 2 shots needed for game. I don't know what Weatherby you have but this doesn't alter the looks at all and if the need arises just refil with the spraycan foam filler available at most hardware stores. Also I shot my best groups with the weight in. It doesn't appear to shift inside the stock as liquid mercury would. It is marvelous to hit a target at long range but choose your range carefully to insure a good hit on game. All game is due the respect of a clean kill. Just a thought.
Old January 5, 1999, 11:07 PM   #5
4V50 Gary
Staff

Bob. Very eloquent. "All game is due the respect of a clean kill."