The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old June 9, 2014, 04:08 PM   #1
el_chupo_

Griffin Recce 7 - Any opinions?

I have a couple of .22 cans in jail right now, and have just had a MP 15-22 and Noveske lower engraved to get the From 1's in on those. I know I will use the .22 suppressors the most, so I ordered a Sparrow for heavy use on rifles, occasional pistol use. I ordered a Warlock II for the light weight, and easy of baffle removal.

I know I want a 7.62 capable suppressor for use on bolt gun, 300blk SBR, and 556 (SBR and longer lengths).

The Saker and SDN-6 are pretty high on the list, but I really like the taper mount system for the Griffin.

I already know that I will still be using ear-pro when shooting, so DB ratings are not what I am chasing. I am concerned about the mounts for the Saker and SDN. Is there any issues, beyond teeth wear? I know the Saker just came out, and the Recce 7 hasnt been around long though.

My importance list for this can are:

a good mount/lock up
minimal POI shift and accuracy
not too much blowback on semi-autos (learning how annoying this can be)
CS
Weight
DB reduction

The Recce seems to be a bit louder in ratings, but the mounting system seems fantastic and I dont really need true Q/D ability. Also gets me a lighter weight (which should help with POI shift)

So, anyone with any experience with the Recce 7? Is the 4-5db difference enough to outweigh the benefits (also note, its a bit cheaper), but I dont want to regret a decision. The guys at Silencer Shop seemed to like it, one mentioning that it was quieter at ear vs the Saker.

Thanks
Old June 9, 2014, 09:46 PM   #2
Theohazard

if you're concerned about the mount, the Saker's mount is rock-solid. In my opinion, SilencerCo has one of the best (if not the best) quick-attach mounting systems with their Trifecta mount. Even the Saker MAAD mount for the AAC 51T mount is rock-solid, so it mounts to the AAC 51T flash hider better than the AAC cans do.

I don't really know anything about the Griffin cans. I tried to look the up some basic info on their website, but they don't even tell you what the can is made of. If you're doing lots of semi-auto shooting and you want the can to last a while (especially on a 5.56 SBR), you'll want a can made of inconel; titanium and regular stainless steel just won't hold up as well. The SDN-6 has inconel baffles and the Saker has stellite baffles (which are even stronger than inconel). But I have no idea what the baffles on the Griffin are made of and I couldn't figure it out from their website.
Old June 10, 2014, 12:25 PM   #3
el_chupo_

I dont know baffle material, but they do rate it for full auto from a 14.5" bbl for 7.62 (60 rds, then back to semi-auto at 14rpm). Their site describes it as "heat treated, high strength stainless steel, which is substantially stronger than typical stainless steel, for high pressure conditions.

Is the Saker full auto rated, and OK for shorter barrels? Do you know how short on 5.56?

Thanks for the thoughts!
Old June 10, 2014, 01:28 PM   #4
Theohazard

OK, so the Griffin probably just uses some type of normal stainless steel, so it isn't going to hold up as well as an inconel or stellite silencer. The Saker is definitely full-auto rated; it's probably the most durable 7.62 silencer on the market right now. And since its baffles are made from stellite, it's going to last a lot longer than the Griffen, especially if you're using it on an SBR.