The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 13, 2012, 11:11 PM   #1
mmb713

CCI vs Remington primers - range report

I finally got around to loading and retesting my pet loads in 9mm, 357, 45 Auto and 45 Colt with Remington primers. I still had loads with CCI primers so I shot them over the chronograph today too to compare. Average velocities were practically identical. It looks like you can substitute one for the other with no other changes. I still like CCIs better though. They seem to be sized more consistently, the Remingtons would seat really easily in some cases and go in stiffer in others. It showed after they were fired with some primers looking normal and others looking like they had backed out a bit upon firing. No pierced primers though and consistency was about the same as CCIs, in some cases even better. Hopefully this scarcity is just a blip and not a trend. It took a couple hours at the chrono to shoot them all and a lot more to work up and load them all. I'm glad that chore is done. Back to shooting!
Old May 14, 2012, 05:48 AM   #2
rebs

I prefer the CCI primers for all my hand loads, rifle and pistol.
Old May 14, 2012, 11:56 AM   #3
moxie

More proof that the best primer is the cheapest, since there is little to no difference between the brands in terms of performance.

USAF Munitions 1969-1992
RVN 1972-1973
Old May 14, 2012, 12:26 PM   #4
mmb713

CCIs are cheapest too, but the Rems are all they had. Any primer is better than no primer...
Old May 14, 2012, 02:32 PM   #5
rclark

What powder.... Makes a difference. Some powders are primer insensitive.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old May 14, 2012, 02:36 PM   #6
mmb713

Universal, N320, N350 and 3N37.
Old May 14, 2012, 03:01 PM   #7
FULLCLIP

cci vs Remington

CCI's always worked for me in my 650. Federal is also very good.
Old May 14, 2012, 03:19 PM   #8
rclark

Thanks mmb713, I also found Universal/Unique is primer insensitive. No experience with the other powders you listed. Good to know when you need primers . I have started to test powders with CCI-300 and CCI-350 for this reason as WLP is in between the two power wise. I have also been surprised with accuracy results as well during testing... So all good! Haven't testing with Remington ... yet....
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old May 14, 2012, 06:07 PM   #9
serf 'rett

Quote:
More proof that the best primer is the cheapest
Last time I checked Wolf/Tula primers were king of the cheapest hill. And I've had no complaints about the Wolf/Tula primers I've used, in fact, in one of my simple range tests, the Wolf had a slight edge on the CCI primer in 9mm using W-231 powder, 124 grain Berrys in R-P brass.
Old May 14, 2012, 08:40 PM   #10
dacaur

Just because your few particular loads on one particular day showed practically the same velocity with both primer types, thats not enough data by a long shot to say they are 100% interchangeable without a new load workup. Assuming it is safe in every case would be foolish...
Old May 15, 2012, 06:15 PM   #11
mmb713

Well, the two dozen loads I worked up with the Remington primers duplicated the loads I had worked up with the CCI primers, so I'm going to use them interchangeably with the powders I'm using and they were tested and proven safe with. I'm done with the chrono for a good long while and I'm getting back to shooting.