The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old December 5, 2011, 12:38 PM   #1
Southern Shooter

LASER SIGHTS...which one should I choose??

I have a Glock 17 Gen 4 that I carry as a CCW. I am considering installing a laser sight on it. But, there are quite a few to choose from. Which to choose?? You have different companies, red and green lasers, internal and external, ect. Which would you choose and why???

Also, I have noticed that green lasers are much easier for me to visually pick up even in the day light hours. But, I have also read that green laser suck the life out of batteries very rapidly.

Help??

Thanks
"My plea is that we stop seeking out the storm and enjoy more fully sunlight. I am suggesting that as we go through life we accentuate the positive. I am asking that we look a little deeper for the good, that we still our voices of insult and sarcasm, that we more generously compliment and endorse virtue and effort." Gordon B. Hinckley

Last edited by Southern Shooter; December 5, 2011 at 01:03 PM.
Old December 5, 2011, 03:22 PM   #2
drail

I have never understood the belief that lasers are somehow superior to open sights. Learn how to use sights and how to point shoot at extremely close ranges and you won't "need" a laser. Anything that relies on batteries will fail when you desperately need it to work. Trust me on that. It's really not that hard to use the sights. Lasers also have a tendency to suck bullets in your direction if your adversary is armed as well.
Old December 5, 2011, 03:28 PM   #3
Southern Shooter

Low Light settings?

What about times when the light is too low to get a visual on your sights? I am a good shot. But, that does not help me see better in low light settings.

Also, what about situations where you may not have enough time to get the gun sights in a position to see them?

Just some thoughts.

Thanks
"My plea is that we stop seeking out the storm and enjoy more fully sunlight. I am suggesting that as we go through life we accentuate the positive. I am asking that we look a little deeper for the good, that we still our voices of insult and sarcasm, that we more generously compliment and endorse virtue and effort." Gordon B. Hinckley

Last edited by Southern Shooter; December 5, 2011 at 03:35 PM.
Old December 5, 2011, 03:43 PM   #4
m&p45acp10+1

Ok here is my take on things. If you add fifty cents to it, you can buy a can of soda from some machines still theese days.

I have a Sig P250 subcompact with SigLite (AKA NiteSites.) They work well as advertised. I would recomend them for anyone. They still work in daylight and are the usual white. In low light they glow bright green.

For Lasers there are 3 choices if you gun has a picatiny rail.

1 Snap on the rail. Cost can be from $75 for a basic cheap red beam, up to how much money do you have in price. (Makes holser selection for CCW difficult if you keep it attached.

2 LaserGuard. Goes on the grip of the gun. Clicks on to a Glock with no tools at all. Only turns on when you take a firing grip on the gun. (Not sure but some can be turned off if you wish to save batteries.) Plus to this one is it works with any holster. Drawback is $200 or so for the price tag.

3 LaserMax Guiderod Fits internaly and replaces the guiderod of the gun. Pluses are that it is inside of the gun so it will not snag on anything. Pricetag is somewhere around what the LaserGrip cost last time I checked. Big minus is it has a ceartain roundcount for a life span then it is trash. I am not sure if you can change the batteries in it. Last time I checked you could not.

I do not have a laser on any of my handguns. If I could truly afford spending half the price that I did for the gun for a laser grip. I would. (Ok I am a cheap skate.)
Old December 5, 2011, 03:56 PM   #5
Southern Shooter

Lasermax Uni-max Red

I had thought about about this sight.

https://www.lasermax.com/ProductDeta...2/Default.aspx

I have also considered some night-sights for the gun.
Old December 5, 2011, 07:22 PM   #6
billib

I have CT grips on my compact 1911. I have hit COM at 20 yards rapid fire, all 7 rounds, near dark. Hard to beat them for dim lighting. They were spread around a bit
Old December 5, 2011, 08:07 PM   #7
(*_*)

surefire X400, great but $$$$
stream light TLR-2 with laser, not as bright or durable but $$
insight m6x light/laser, also nice $$
Also numerous Chinese knockoffs with variable quality for $
Old December 5, 2011, 08:11 PM   #8
Shadi Khalil

"I have never understood the belief that lasers are somehow superior to open sights. Learn how to use sights and how to point shoot at extremely close ranges and you won't "need" a laser. Anything that relies on batteries will fail when you desperately need it to work. Trust me on that. It's really not that hard to use the sights. Lasers also have a tendency to suck bullets in your direction if your adversary is armed as well."

I have a set on my 637 that I shot very well without the laser, whether I was using the steel sites or just point shooting. My reason for adding a laser has more to do with getting an edge rather than having a crutch. I don't subscribe to the theory that it can be used as a deterrent and I certainly don't rely on them to hit my target. They also make a excellent training device. Try using a pair when your doing dry fire drills or instructing a new shooter. You'll quickly see the benefits of adding a laser. Also, the steel sights on my revolver don't stop working just because my batteries died so that's not a concern. I use a set of crimson trace defenders, they are not cheap but well worth the money.
Old December 6, 2011, 12:45 AM   #9
thinktwice

I can think of a number of situations where they would be very useful. I have a Kimber Crimson Carry, and the laser is dead on. The bullet will hit the exact place you put that little red dot. They are also good for practice in your home (empty firearm of course). But anyway like others have said there are quite a few companies making them, but I would stick with one of the major brand's that have been around awhile. So my choice would Crimson Trace of course.
Old December 6, 2011, 04:28 AM   #10
bacardisteve

I have a streamlight on my bedside gun. Cant remember the model off hand but its the compact light/laser combo. I like it the only downside is holster choices. Lasers are a real benefit in certain circumstances. I also believe they have a bit of a psychological benefit. Any thug is gonna rethink his actions when he sees a red dot appear on his chest much like the effect of hearing a pump action shotgun cycled.
Old December 6, 2011, 04:33 AM   #11
dascottsman

Lasermax

LAsermax is good to go. The batteries are replaceable. I have a streamlight on the rail to blind any night intruders. Lasermax was up in the $300 range I believe.
Old December 6, 2011, 12:15 PM   #12
bossman

Crimson Trace that way it will still work with your holster.

http://www.crimsontrace.com/01-1320

When the going gets tough, I just open another beer.
Old December 6, 2011, 05:28 PM   #13
(*_*)

The ubiquitous Chinese model $20 laser:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/342...le-mount-black
Old December 6, 2011, 05:55 PM   #14
*NOVA*

Go with Crimson Trace - the activation switch is built in to the grip. Earlier this year CT was offering $50.00 rebates so I bought two pair - one for my Ruger GP100 and the other for my SW Model 10. No regrets, just be sure you do a thorough search on the internet because you can pay A LOT less comparing one site to the other.
Old December 6, 2011, 08:24 PM   #15
bigredfish

Crimson Trace are hard to beat. The activation in the grip is natural and requires no thought or change in hand position to make it work. I have them on 3 guns and have had 0 problems with them.

I prefer to use the open sites most of the time, but in the case of the S&W 642 they're almost mandatory IMHO, and on my other two, they have their advantages at 2am
Old December 6, 2011, 09:11 PM   #16
VERDAD

LASERMAX

I have and like the Lasermax-WHY?

Keep in mind when considering a laser, if you can see it, so can the person who is there to harm you, and where it is coming from. The lasermax can be on or off at a touch, it doesn't alter the weight of the weapon, doesn't hang of or cause inaccuracy.

You don't want grip laser that you can't control in a combative situation.
Old December 6, 2011, 10:58 PM   #17
ClydeFrog

Laser aiming systems; red-green-strobe

For a daily carry or duty type(uniformed) sidearm, I'd look at the Viridin green laser with white light/strobe.
It's powerful, high quality & has a lot of features.
For concealed/normal uses(range, home defense, vehicle carry), you may want a CT Lasergrip. They are selling new styles & formats with added white lights too.
I like the Crimsontrace models more than the Lasermax. The flashing red dot laser may save power & draw the human eye more than a CT laser(red) but I like the steady steam of red light.
Green lasers are by design more powerful & brighter than red but they get hot/wear faster & the batteries may drain quicker.

CT markets a free DVD about laser sights & the tactics.
www.Crimsontrace.com
Clyde
Old December 6, 2011, 11:49 PM   #18
twhidd

Quote:
What about times when the light is too low to get a visual on your sights? I am a good shot. But, that does not help me see better in low light settings.
Why would you think a laser will help you to see better in low light? If you can't see your sights because of the darkness then get night sights. Also if it's too dark to see the sights, then it's too dark to see your target and a red laser beam isn't going to help that either. If you go off shooting at some red laser dot off in the distance without knowing your target, then you're violating rule number 4.
Quote:
Also, what about situations where you may not have enough time to get the gun sights in a position to see them?
A laser won't help you much there either. If you don't have time to find the sights, how much time are you going to have to find where the red dot is?
Old December 7, 2011, 12:29 AM   #19
ClydeFrog

The use of laser aiming systems....

The use of laser-aiming units is meant to augment or support marksmanship.
The CT lasergrip DVD host/tactics instructor makes that point.

CF
Old December 7, 2011, 11:27 AM   #20
Southern Shooter

ClydeFrog...

ClydeFrog,

I agree with you. In your opinion, under what conditions would a person be using laser-aiming units "to augment or support marksmanship."? How would a laser do so?

Thanks

Last edited by Southern Shooter; December 7, 2011 at 02:15 PM.
Old December 7, 2011, 04:07 PM   #21
BGutzman

People argue anti laser all the time and yet prior to my retirement from the active duty army in 2007 you couldnt hardly find a single infrantryman without one....

Imagine putting the red or green laser on the end of a BGs nose or over the heart.... In some cases at least a few of those BGs might get the idea of whats coming next and call it a day without the need for a shot being fired....

Iron sights for all the true good things they bring cant do that.....
Old December 7, 2011, 04:14 PM   #22
k511

+1 Crimson Trace
Old December 7, 2011, 04:29 PM   #23
Southern Shooter

TWHIDD......

TWHIDD,
I never said a laser would help me see better in low light.

Your argument to use night sights is superior to using a laser sight...how????

"if it's too dark to see the sights, then it's too dark to see your target" is NOT true. Granted, this thread is not about game hunting, but, I have hunted for many years with iron-sights. I can very often, in the dusk of a day, see my game target yet not be able to see my iron sights quick enough to fire off a clean shot.

And, NO, I never point a gun at an object prior to it being identified.

BGutzman has a very valid point. It is not difficult to find a modern soldier who is using some kind of laser sighting equipment.

Why not be proficient at point-and-shoot, iron sights, night sights, and laser sights?

Thanks

Last edited by Southern Shooter; December 7, 2011 at 05:02 PM.
Old December 7, 2011, 04:55 PM   #24
lambertsteeth

Crimson Trace.

As you grip the gun, they turn on. It doesn't get easier than that.
Old December 7, 2011, 05:59 PM   #25
Shadi Khalil

I believe the best option is no on and off switch. Leaves less room for error and you can train to adjust your grip accordingly.