The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 7, 2011, 12:27 PM   #1
Osage

May start pouring my own 8mm

Bought a pair of steyrs that come with the dies and mold (8x56). I have a lee melting pot that I use with round ball but have never cast boolits. Been doing some reading so I now understand the lube and gas check issues. I was surprised by the low charges used. When using charges under 15 gr, is a fast powder required? I use mostly varget but never see that mentioned.
Other than casting the boolit, is the rest of the reloadimg process the same?
Old September 7, 2011, 01:37 PM   #2
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

The reloading process is the same. Some guys use faster burning powders and some guys use slower burning powders with reduced charges. Be aware of powders that are position sensitive in the case...especially if reloading large case volume cartridges.

I use H4895 for most all of my cast rifle loads (7.62x54r, 7.5 swiss)

You will probably want to invest in a Lee universal flaring die and put a SLIGHT bell on your rifle case necks so you don't shave lead OR swage the bullet down when seating in the case. I then use the crimp in the seating die to just remove the slight flare.

Good luck!

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~
Old September 17, 2011, 04:59 PM   #3
adrians

the lee universal flaring die is o.k but to be sure of not getting any shaving i would suggest the lyman "m" die it's a differant animal than the lee ,it also aids in keeping yout boolits vertical when seating .
the lee die doesn't do as well in this department.
the "m" die is more expensive but in my humble opinion it beats the lee hands down.
just my 2c worth.
have a good weekend .
Old September 17, 2011, 07:26 PM   #4
Ideal Tool

Hello, Osage. You might want to slug those bores..the Germans liked deep grooves to hold down presssure..& cast work best if throat/groove is gas tight.
You could do no better than order a copy of Joe Brennans book:
Cast Bullets For Beginner And Expert..Covers Everything! Or, if you join the Cast Bullet Association (CBA)..A free book is sent with membership!
Old September 17, 2011, 09:36 PM   #5
chris in va

Low charges because you can't push a lead 'boolit' through a rifle at normal velocities without serious issues. In other words, you won't be topping more than about 2000fps through your gun with cast.