The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 8, 2009, 09:56 PM   #1
Texpass

Reloading

I have a friend that has run into some money issues and wants to sell his reloading equipment which is only about 3 months old. Dillon 55B and several dies and other things and from what other folks say a good price too. My questions are will reloading pay for itself, and I understand various items are hard to come by these days with the panic buying. Sure would like some feedback before I go off the deep end.

Tex
Old May 9, 2009, 02:59 AM   #2
Sixer

Get it!

Post this in the RELOADING forum and you'll probably get more feedback

-There is no theory of evolution... Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live.
Old May 9, 2009, 03:15 AM   #3
Dr. Strangelove

Answering your questions, yes; reloading can be cheaper, but only if you shoot quite a bit. Expect to spend $150.00 - sky is the limit to start. If you shoot a box of factory ammo from a hunting rifle and 2 or three boxes of pistol ammo a year, don't bother. Presently, components (primers, powder, bullets, sometimes even brass are hard to come by in most areas. I can save 50% off retail for 7mm Rem Mag Cartridges, prior to all the craziness, I was only saving about $3.00 a box on 9mm. (9mm is one of the least efficient to reload)

I would never say "don't reload", but if you don't like to be precise and "mess around with things", you won't like it. Likewise, if you are only looking at reloading to save money, you may get burned out quick. It's not for everyone, but the ones who like it get a great deal more enjoyment out of shooting.

I would kind of equate loading to raising your own vegetables, it's not usually cheaper in the short run, but you do get a quality product. If you can't "taste" the difference, then don't do either.
Old May 9, 2009, 09:24 AM   #4
Dragon55

The Dr. has made a great analogy. I've only been into reloading a few months and have demonstrated to myself that reloads are actually more consistent. I've loaded for my .40 from 135 gr thru 200 gr round nose and jhp just to close in on a round that best fits my particular gun.
Old May 9, 2009, 11:35 AM   #5
tom234

http://10xshooters.com/calculators/H...Calculator.htm
Old May 9, 2009, 12:13 PM   #6
Sevens

I agree with Dr. S, his post is a good one. My thoughts also: Whether or not the Dillon RL550B is a good idea for you depends on a number of things. How much are you willing to spend to get rolling in reloading? How much brass have you collected thus far? How much shooting to you tend to do right now, and in which calibers? How "hands-on" are you with regards to crafting things? How willing are you to pay strict attention to important details if you know going in that a mistake doesn't mean a bad shot on target, but could mean a bulged barrel or a slide blown off a pistol?

Reloading isn't for everyone. For some, reloading is simply a task that must be done in order to support a heavy shooting habit. (nothing wrong with that!) For many of us, reloading quickly becomes a terrific hobby all it's own that is related to shooting, but entirely separate.

Know going in that even if your buddy gives you an RL550B for free that you are talking about spending some dough here, and it adds up. If the press is free, you will still need to buy caliber change kits unless he's also selling every caliber you use. I don't use Dillon, so I can only guess... You'll need shell plate and dies, likely a $100 per caliber. You'll need at the bare minimum one pound of powder, $15-$25 per pound, IF you can find it. Primers run $30-$40 per thousand, and they are just plain difficult to find right now. Bullets run the gamut from $30 per 500 to $30 per 100, depending on caliber, weight, make-up and brand.

And all that is assuming that you have been collecting your brass. If you have no brass, you are either buying that new or buying a bunch of factory ammo and saving brass.

Me? I love reloading, enjoy it even more than shooting. I would recommend it to anyone who likes to tinker and get to really know what their guns like. And it's more enjoyable to me to spend my time building my ammo stock, then just grabbing some when I want to use it rather than swinging by the ammo counter before I go shooting. Shot to shot, it is a lot cheaper than factory but there is a significant thought, time and dollar investment to be made.

Last bit-- the RL550B is a machine that is perhaps one of THE best of it's kind. There will be plenty of folks who have never reloaded in their lives that can safely learn to operate one, but I wouldn't recommend it as the best place to learn how to reload. Still, if it's a good deal and you are well-funded, I would recommend you buy it from your buddy, and hold on to it as something to work toward, and start reloading with some more basic tools.
Old May 9, 2009, 12:59 PM   #7
Russ5924

The 550 is going for just over $400 right now new. I think it comes down to just how much you shoot. If only a hundred rounds now and then don't think it would be profitable. But if you shoot like me 200 on up per week ( had to cut back do to shortages) used to shoot 500 on up per week. Then you will break even. I have had no problem getting powder and bullets but primers right now are impossible to find.
Old May 9, 2009, 02:03 PM   #8
Lost Sheep

How good of a friend is he?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texpass

I have a friend that has run into some money issues and wants to sell his reloading equipment which is only about 3 months old. Dillon 55B and several dies and other things and from what other folks say a good price too. My questions are will reloading pay for itself, and I understand various items are hard to come by these days with the panic buying. Sure would like some feedback before I go off the deep end.
How good of a friend is he and how close does he live? There are other options to money issues than outright sale.

Have you considered fronting him some money and letting him load for you? Many shooters will cringe at the prospect of shooting someone else's reloads, but it you are with him when he does it (helping and learning), I think those objections will be less and the legal issues of unlicensed ammo manufacture/sale will go away, too. (Ammomakers need licensing similar to firearms makers/sellers)

Let me start out by giving two pieces of advice near the top in my list. Start learning with a single-stage press and get a mentor.

The complications of loading with a progressive press (you have to keep your attention focused on multiple actions at once) lead me to advise single stage presses for newbies. The fact you have a friend familiar with the equipment to teach you mitigates that advice somewhat.

When I got my first gun (mid-70s) I bought a press and dies that same week because I knew I could not afford to shoot unless I reloaded (ammo cost was about 20 to 25 cents retail, or a nickle a shot if I reloaded locally cast lead.)

So, yeah. I agree with everything in the previous posts.

1) Reloading can be a fun, relaxing activity in an of itself.
2) You CAN save money, but you won't. You will shoot more for the same cost.
3) If you count the cost of your time (calculated at $7.50 an hour) in the cost of your reloads, the cost savings may disappear. But don't count it. Nobody ever does. (Especially not to their wives.) The relaxation and satisfaction factors more than make up for it.
4) You can make ammunition however you want. My friend loads for his 500 S&W at power levels from 400 foot pounds up to 2500 foot pounds. Great practice and familiarization rounds.

Good luck, good shooting. Happy reloading. You know you will.

Lost Sheep

references:
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=230171
http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve
http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=13543
http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/view...fbd5ae1f754eec
or, if the links don't work, paste these addresses into your browser
thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=230171
forums.accuratereloading.com/eve
rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=13543
rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewforum.php?f=11&sid=1efda7af229b625361fbd5ae1f754eec

My usual caveat:

Remember, only believe half of what you see and one quarter of what you hear. That goes double for what you get from the internet. Even this post.

Do your own independent, confirming research when ANYONE gives you new facts on the web.

Also remember, even the idiotic stuff might have a kernel of truth buried in there somewhere.

Lost Sheep

Last edited by Lost Sheep; May 9, 2009 at 02:19 PM.
Old May 9, 2009, 06:32 PM   #9
Texpass

Thanks for Help

You guys have given me plenty to think about. Matter of fact I was with another friend of mine this morning who works in my office. I had told him about what I had a chance to buy. He invited me to his shop today to give me the in's-&-out's on reloading. This guy is very good. He is also a hunter safety as well as self-defense trainer. So he leaves no stone unturned. I went through the process with him on his Dillon. When ammo and weather permits I can blow through a lot of ammo, plus my wife is a CHL holder to and she likes to shoot. So between the two of us, we can consume a lot of ammo. I carry various guns from 1911's (45)to a Glock 23 (40) or the new Ruger LCR (38+P) and I might add, this gun is very accurate especially considering it has a short barrel. Actually I bought the LCR for my wife and she didn't like the recoil...What does she carry a nickel S&W Model 19 with 38+P. I also picked up a new in box S&W 6906 (…s-w-e-e-t…) the other day so I am firing a lot of 9 mm now. My friend has all the calibers except 9mm and 357 and I could always pick those up later, plus he is letting me have all of his brass, powder, some primers and a bunch of bullets. This does seem to be a very good deal indeed, oh yes he's throwing in a bench and will bring it all over in his truck. Now if I could only teach my wife to reload!

Thanks Again Folks !!!

Tex
Old May 10, 2009, 07:08 AM   #10
Xwrench3

will reloading pay for itself? Y E S ! but, you will find yourself shooting more, because it costs less per round. so the amount of "savings" you experience may not be so great. but, you will have a lot more fun!
Old May 10, 2009, 07:15 AM   #11
Dingoboyx

Reloading turns a shooter

into a gun junkie

People like me.... mild mannered, unassuming (good lookin')
who had to scrounge up enough $ to buy a box or 2 of ammo and shoot only once a week or so, start reloading and then, rather than think "how much shootin' can I afford to do this week?" becomes, "dammit, I've got 500 rounds loaded already! I better go shootin' 3 times a week!" Coz I want to reload some more & need the brass empty

Watch out gor the bug, it'll bite you
Old May 10, 2009, 11:39 AM   #12
TEDDY

reloading

what is with you fellows on this thead???no howling for him to get a Dillon or a hornady LNL only sensible thread I have read.
altho a single stage is good I have several I would say a Lee turret,as that can be used as a single.
I have 2 lee turrets and to day was first time that I used one as auto advance.I usually use them as batch loaders.I was loading 45 colt.I was pleasantly supprised how well it was working.I have loaded since 1939.and CAST my own bullets mostly now with Lee 6 cavity.I do have a bonanza and RCBS green machine for 38s and lee 1000 fo 45 acp.and one for 223.
I will tell you working on the reloading keeps me alive.I was born in 1924.I have more projects going than carters liver pills.25 cals and 6 cartridge conversions.plus 5 rifle rebuilding.
Old May 10, 2009, 12:07 PM   #13
Dragon55

TEDDY....

Carter's Liver Pills I am old enough to know that means A LOT !
Old May 10, 2009, 07:21 PM   #14
dmazur

Quote:
Now if I could only teach my wife to reload!
Yes...I tried this. Not that I don't enjoy reloading, but my wife loves to shoot up .243 and, as that's her rifle, I can't help wondering if she wouldn't appreciate the whole process a little more if she did the reloading end, too.

Unfortunately, she's read Tom Sawyer (whitewashing the fence?) and she saw it coming a mile away.

So, I'm grateful to have a shooting and hunting partner, if not a reloading partner.

(By the way, she loses flies I tie for her, too... )
Old May 10, 2009, 07:58 PM   #15
madmo44mag

Just passin through
Looks like y'all covered it.