The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 30, 2007, 08:31 PM   #1
circuit rider

Brass

I have a FNA1 in 308, don't shoot competition, just for my pleasure. Am using Win. brass and get 1 to 1 1/2 inch groups at 200 yds. Would I get better groups using Lapua, Nosler or other more expensive brass? Also have shot Sierra, Barnes and Nosler bullets, but get best groups with Hornady, all else being the same. Thanks, Circuit Rider
Old March 30, 2007, 09:02 PM   #2
Don H

What do you do for brass prep? Neck turn? Uniform primer pockers and flash holes? Sort brass by weight? Neck size or full length size?

Sort bullets by weight? Check concentricity? How far off the lands are you seating?

Lots of factors besides brand of brass enter into the accuracy equation.
Old March 30, 2007, 09:07 PM   #3
circuit rider

Don, do all the afore mentioned. Am experimenting with depth. Learning as I go. Thanks, Circuit Rider
Old March 30, 2007, 10:26 PM   #4
williamd

Seat a bullet long in an empty case, slide it into the rifle and close the bolt slowly. Extract slowly. This tells you where you touch the lands. Turn seating die in one turn. You ~1/14" from the lands. I have found this is a good position on many rifles/loads. Someone else can explain why!! If you are following Don's directions I do not think a different brand of brass will be noticable ... but you do want the same brand whatever it is. Fill the case .. if not a compressed load fill with kapok.. good use for old lifejacket. Gives more consistent burn. Hell, when I was serious (too) I even loaded the round into the chamber with the headstamp facing up all the time!! All things as consistent as possible. Oh, same primiers/lots, etc. Yea, I was in bench competition and a fanatic. Shoot 'em 'til the start to open or erode and sell 'em to a hunter! Two inches at 300 yards is fine with them.