The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 15, 2010, 04:17 PM   #1
OsOk-308

1911 upgrades.

I recently purchased a Remington R1 and am interested in upgrading this 1911 pistol. I know very little about all the upgrades for 1911s on the market. So I have a few questions:
1. What are some of the possible upgrades I can get on this firearm?
2. Of those upgrades, which are the most functional/important.

Sorry if this is so broad, I just don't know what is out there other than polishing the feed ramps and beaver tail grip safeties. Thanks
Old December 15, 2010, 04:20 PM   #2
BILLtheDJguy

Why dont you tell us how you plan to use the pistol, and that will narrow the list considerably...

Also perhaps a pic or a list of what is has currently...
Old December 15, 2010, 04:30 PM   #3
Amin Parker

I agree with above. One can turn a 1911 into an ostrich with all the aftermarket goodies around.

My first thing to do would be to get some more magazines, lots of ammo and shoot that gun. Maybe a few thousand rounds. You will then know what needs changing if anything at all.
Old December 15, 2010, 04:50 PM   #4
Spats McGee
Staff

You're really only limited by your budget. The 1911 has a world of upgrades available for it. Sights, finishes, triggers . . . you name it. The only question is what you want to do with it. I would select very different upgrades for a target pistol than I would for a self-defense pistol. One thing that you might consider is going to the Springfield Arms Custom Shop site. They have a downloadable checklist for the work that they do. While it is by no means a comprehensive list of the things that you can have done, it's a place to start.

Looking forward to seeing the finished product!
Old December 15, 2010, 05:16 PM   #5
RickB

I'd put 1000 rounds through it, and then take stock your impressions. Is it accurate enough? Are there sharp edges that rub you raw? Could the sights have a better configuration (most front sights are much too wide, and dots add clutter). Is the trigger pull creepy, or heavier than you like? Would it be more comfortable to shoot if the grip were slimmer or fatter?
I've owned more than a dozen 1911s, and have never found it necessary to polish a feedramp. Unless there are heavy tool marks running laterally across the surface, polishing isn't necessary (and can be screwed-up!). Beavertails are strictly optional, but some would have you believe they're second only to sights, in terms of necessity.
Old December 15, 2010, 05:53 PM   #6
rigby06

1911 accessories

I agree with the above posts, you will need to know what you are wanting your new weapon to perform, if you are going for a primary carry weapon, night sight may be a definite. if you are more inclined to shoot left handed a ambidextrous safety may be the way to go. Or perhaps you are looking for improved accuracy, in that case a match barrel or match barrel and extended slide could be the way to go. With a 1911 your only limitations are what you can dream up, and how much you can afford to spend.
Old December 15, 2010, 06:23 PM   #7
thinkingman

sights...and those depend on how you plan to use it.
Old December 15, 2010, 06:34 PM   #8
OsOk-308

Thanks

I've put 150 rounds through it. So, I'll probably be taking it to the range again soon for some for testing. From the sounds of it, I have a LOT of rounds to shoot before I'll know what I need (if anything)
Old December 15, 2010, 07:10 PM   #9
Hoss Fly

I agree with most-
Get a few mags, ammo & SHOOT it-
Honestly unless your lefthanded - have old eyes like me or your grips are too thin, thick or slippery your 1911 is prety much usable as is
The more that you add-the more that can break
Old December 15, 2010, 07:29 PM   #10
Kreyzhorse

If it is running smooth, I wouldn't do any thing to it yet except shoot it.

As far as upgrades, there are lots of things you can do to it, but if the gun works as is, none are mandatory. Personally I prefer beavetails, skelton hammers and an ambi-safety (I'm a lefty) but none of those really impove the gun.
Old December 15, 2010, 09:05 PM   #11
stevieboy

From what I read on this and other forums there are many who feel the necessity to trick out their 1911s with as many as the latest geegaws as they can afford. Personally, I take a minimalist approach. If it works, why screw around with it? I presently own just one 1911, a Smith & Wesson that is priced at or near the bottom of the 1911s that Smith manufactures. I paid a bit over $800 for the gun. It's a blued gun, government model, with fixed Novak sights. The safety is not ambidextrous, the mag well is not beveled, and everything else is as simple and functional as can be. I wouldn't change this gun for the world!! It has a nice, crisp trigger, perhaps a bit heavy, but with absolutely no slop or creep, and it shoots exactly to point of aim. With this gun I can put round after round into a 2" ring at 10 yards without any difficulty whatsoever. Why change it?

So, my advice to any 1911 purchaser, before taking the plunge into the world of accessories, is why change it? If you get good groups with the gun, if the gun can be fired quickly and comfortably, if the sights are easy to visualize, then by all means LEAVE IT ALONE!!!! You probably already have a gun that will not improve significantly with major alterations. Why mess with success?
Old September 11, 2012, 05:38 PM   #12
usabilityfirst

1911 Upgrades - Considerations for Carry

This is an old thread, but a good question and worth reviving if anyone is interested in discussing. OsOk-308, it'd be interesting to hear 2 years later what you did or didn't upgrade and why.

I have added several upgrades to my Colt XSE Combat Commander, most of which have worked out for me. I carry the Colt concealed, so the upgrades I've added have been for defensive and training considerations.

* Holster: My biggest 'upgrade' is finding a carry holster that actually conceals comfortably. After buying 5 holsters (2 of them costing over $75), I had nearly given up carrying an all-steel Commander, short of wearing suspenders all the time. I purchased the 'Texas Heritage' IWB from Tucker Gunleather and couldn't be happier. Its tuckable, but I don't use and don't feel I need that option with this holster. It is outstanding.

* Pistol Belt: 2nd biggest upgrade for carry is a pistol belt specifically made for that purpose.

* Crimson Trace laser grips to ensure that I can keep both eyes open, my mind focused on decisions and not having to aim traditionally when time counts

* Tritium Night Sights to ensure that I can always aim at night and even if a laser battery fails.

* Ed Brown Beavertail Grip Safety - milled by a professional pistolsmith into the Colt's frame. The 'duckbill' style beavertail provided by Colt was flat and was uncomfortable in the web of my meaty hand. The new one is rounded, comfortable, allows a slightly higher hand-hold, and with the smithing work buttery smooth to the skin. No gaps, sharp edges or discomfort at all. I was far more impressed with the smithing work than the beavertail. :-) This allows me to comfortable attend multi-day training classes.

* Wilson Combat flat checkered mainspring housing - The Colt has no checkering on the front or backstrap. The stock mainspring housing used vertical stripes which are a step above a smooth backstrap, but not sufficiently 'grippy'. The 20x30 Wilson checkering is very effective, especially with the limited backstrap area provided by a 1911. This was probably the most effective yet cheapest upgrade I've made for my pistol.

* Wilson Combat Shok-Buff Recoil System - I bought it because Wilson Combat suggests it improves cycling, reliability and accuracy. I had no idea whether it was true or a gimmick, but found this to be reasonably true -- though it didn't turn my 1911 into a target pistol. The full length guide rod probably has more to do with these benefits than the buffering system. Since I have a Combat Commander I'm less worried about slide/frame damage and more with comfortable, accurate shooting. Manipulating the slide simply feels 'tighter' with the system installed, which again I assume is probably the guide rod.

I've tried several third-party grips on the Colt, and while some are very attractive none are as effective as the nicely checkered rosewood originals. My only minor complaint is that they're thick and the Colt's grip radius is already long/large. I have large hands so this is not a deal killer for me. I enjoy the original grips.

Every person is different, but the above upgrades have allowed me to confidently and comfortably carry the pistol just about anywhere. When the whether is hot and I'm wearing a light shirt and shorts, I carry a Sig Sauer P238 in my front pants pocket. It has (mostly) the same manual of arms as the 1911, with a manual safety and single-action condition 1 carry. It is probably the most enjoyable pistol I've ever fired. The perfect backup/compliment to a good 1911 and a mousegun you can actually enjoy.