The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 7, 2010, 09:05 AM   #1
RGL01

Combat Shotgun Recommendations

New to shotguns. Looking for a 12 gauge. Mossberg 590? Remington 870? Bennelli M4? What are the differences? Is there a "Best"? Thanks.
Old January 7, 2010, 09:19 AM   #2
Willie Lowman

Yes, there is a Santa but no, there isn't a best combat shotgun.

I had a Benelli M2 tactical for a bit, nice gun but the trigger was kinda stiff for a $1000 shotgun. It bit me a few times and I traded it rather than learn how to handle it without loosing a thumbnail.

I am a big fan of the 590. Easy to operate, ambidextrous safety, no loading gate to grab my thumb when I am trying to load quickly.

Your standard 500/590A1 will hold 5+1 a full length 590 will hold 8+1. A typical 870 will hold 4+1 and different size extension tubes are available. I think the M2 tac came with a four shot tube and a one shot extension on it from the factory... Can't remember.
Old January 7, 2010, 09:33 AM   #3
rickyjames

i have 3 bests.
a mule eared 12 ga double barrel coach gun
a tristar viper 12 ga semi auto combat shotgun
a mossberg 500 12 ga riot pump

wurks fer me
Old January 7, 2010, 09:45 AM   #4
RGL01

Okay, we're narrowing it down. Focussing on "Mossberg". Much obliged.
Old January 7, 2010, 09:50 AM   #5
Sam06

Depends on what kind of "Combat" You are going to be doing. For 3 gun matches and other types of games I have a a Remington 1100 I made into a "Combat type" Shotgun.

For HD or just a general knock around gun I would look at a Mossburg 590 or a Remington 870 Police.

The Benelli M2 would be the Cadillac.

Sam
Old January 7, 2010, 10:01 AM   #6
noyes

THE COMBAT SHOTGUN in the INFANTRY BRIGADE COMBAT TEAM
http://pro-patria.us/COMBATSHOTGUN.mht

U.S. Army Shotgun Qualification standards
http://pro-patria.us/yahoo_site_admi...e4.7933747.mht
Old January 7, 2010, 10:55 AM   #7
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

COMBAT SHOTGUN....
If you are required to supply your own C.S. for your contract with Blackwater and will be in COMBAT situations as part of your contract, I would opt for the M-590-A-1 Mossberg...

If this is a defensive arm to own in case you will need it, I would opt for a standard 500.

If the former, 2 round mag extension on the standard 5+1 mag tube.
If the latter, a 5+1 would be my choice.

Brent

Last edited by hogdogs; January 7, 2010 at 11:08 AM.
Old January 7, 2010, 11:03 AM   #8
RGL01

It's for home defense. Is the Mosseberg 590 considered of a higher quality that a Remington 870?
Old January 7, 2010, 11:08 AM   #9
JerseyDrez

Mossy 500/590, Mav 88, Rem 870, Benelli, Saiga etc, they all serve a purpose - HD.

Go to your LGS and check them all out. Hold them, play with them, and see which one you like. I dunno what your price range is but that might have something to do with your decision also. Then buy a few cases of ammo and your all set!

If I were you, Id just go with a 500. Easy on the wallet, very reliable (like most shotguns), and that extra money saved can go to cases of ammo.

"I don't know what situation you'd be in where you'd be facing a bad guy and he'd have the time to notice your laser shaking and evaluate you as having low confidence. "
Old January 7, 2010, 11:10 AM   #10
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

The 590 is a thicker barrel and has the barrel lug style that allows the addition of a mag extension. The frame is the same as a 500 for all intent and purpose.

The 590A1 has the metal (cast powder aluminum) trigger group and a metal safety tab.

Brent
Old January 7, 2010, 11:13 AM   #11
RGL01

Will check them out. Thanks for the help!
Old January 7, 2010, 01:48 PM   #12
OlympicArmsFan

If your search leads you to www.budsgunshop.com and you see the Mossberg 590SP it is not the same as the 590A1.

I did some researc on this when buying my 12ga and I went with a 500 with a 20" barrel. I find that to be a good HD and combat shotgun. I dont feel I spent to little and didnt get a shotgun that will last or hold up.

The 590SP is just (correct if im wrong) The 500 blued with the tube and I think a bayo lug.

I think you should just take a look at the 500s they will work for combat and do the same as the 590A1.

Save the money and buy ammo and gear hit the range and know your gun. If you pay more for that Shotgun and get no time in at the range or cant afford to feed it then its just a paper weight.

Good luck in what you do get and enjoy it.
Old January 8, 2010, 10:17 AM   #13
Lee Lapin

I highly recommend staying away from combat!

However, if combat refuses to stay away from you, your skill with whatever shotgun you have, and your tactical acumen, will be far more important factors than the manufacturer's name stamped on the shotgun. Reliability is the key consideration, and there are many millions of reliable shotguns out there. Most other issues are merely personal preferences, shoot enough different designs, makes, models etc to decide what you like, then find a good example of whatever you like. Then train and practice, train and practice.

lpl

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old January 9, 2010, 02:52 PM   #14
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Amen to Lee.

Again.

We're the weakest link. Not the shotgun.

Get one that will.....

Go 200 rounds of "duty" ammo glitchfree.

Allow you to shoot same in comfort.

Has ergonomics that will enable you to safely operate it ten seconds out of a sound sleep, for you may need to very much.

BTW, most shotguns qualify on that last.

And then, instead of bolting on all the stuff from the catalogs, you invest in ammo and burn it up.

Then, you and your shotgun will be DEADLY instead of merely LOOKING deadly.

Sermon over, descending from pulpit....