The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 30, 2015, 07:21 PM   #1
Geezerbiker

Super Blackhawk jamming

I was out shooting a couple days ago and my 3 screw Ruger Super Blackhawk started jamming. I messed with it for awhile with the cylinder out and figured out that the transfer bar wasn't popping back after a shot was fired. I found that if I cocked it while pointing up like with a black powder revolver, it would work fine.

I haven't dug into it yet but I took the grips off last night and flushed it out with Ed's Red to see if it was just dirty but it seems to be the same. About half the time the transfer bar slides up and jams under the firing pin.

I'm concerned about tearing it down but not because I lack the skill but rather it's in near perfect condition. I know it's been upgraded because I have the old parts from the transfer bar upgrade but it looks like it's never been apart.

Any suggestions?

Tony
Old May 30, 2015, 08:08 PM   #2
Old Stony

The small pin in the back of cylinder center pin holds the transfer bar back so it won't come up under the firing pin. Either the pin needs to be freed up or the cylinder pin is slipping forward. I would suspect the latter instance to be the culprit. Rugers seem to have a tendency to not hold the pin in place well under recoil sometimes. Made sure it is locked in well with the cross pin that holds it in place.
Old May 31, 2015, 05:15 AM   #3
Geezerbiker

Thanx Stony. You've nailed it on the head. It seems the cylinder pin catch doesn't engage unless it's fiddled with a bit but after it catches, it's fine. This revolver is in very excellent condition and it would be disheartening if any work to had to be done that would mar the finish.

One more thing, the firing pin protrusion seems to be minimal compared to my other guns. Would it be considered an inertial type firing pin? Anyway it's always gone bang when it should so I suppose I shouldn't worry about it...

Tony
Old May 31, 2015, 05:31 AM   #4
Old Stony

Never heard of any of the Ruger SA's having a firing pin protusion problem. It should work good for longer than any of us will be around. Sometimes you can just tweak the retaining screws for your base pin and get them to hold a little better. The factory puts a drop of loctite on them, but I have seen some that need to be tightened up a little.....or if they have been removed before, tightened up and more loctite applied.
Inertia really tries it's best to remove your base pin under recoil on those.
Old May 31, 2015, 02:19 PM   #5
fastbolt

I bought a Ruger SBH the first year of the New Model ('73, I think it was).

Mine did the same thing. The cylinder pin would jump forward under recoil and not keep the transfer bar properly aligned to clear the rear of the firing pin during cocking (without tipping the gun and letting gravity keep the transfer bar back).

By the time I got around to thinking to call Ruger about it, I'd owned the gun for several years. I finally called Ruger and explained the problem. They said I had to return the gun for a machining modification and new parts. Apparently it wasn't an unknown issue at that time.

The problem was corrected with the factory modification and new parts. No more jumping cylinder pin.

Give them a call and see what they think.

Last edited by fastbolt; May 31, 2015 at 02:28 PM.