The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old March 14, 2009, 03:29 PM   #1
Truck

I have a developed a problem with my shooting

I am coming back into handgun shooting again after taking a little over a year off from it all. I now have a problem with shooting low and to the right ALL the time. I am a left handed shooter shooting an XD9 and a HK45C. I can cut a ragged hole at 5-7 yds, to the lower right of the center of the target. The further I go out, the worst it gets. Any ideas? I don't want to have to compensate for my poor shooting, but I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I don't think I'm flinching or anticipating recoil, but I'm stuck. I am keeping both eyes open and focusing on that front sight, just can't get it to where I want it.

Advice welcome!
Steve
Old March 14, 2009, 06:15 PM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Does this offer any insight?

Old March 14, 2009, 06:20 PM   #3
MrNiceGuy

Sounds like you have too much finger on the trigger.

it will cause most to pull to the right and down slightly
try moving the finger/trigger contact point closer to the tip or at least middle of the end of your finger

or this may help
Old March 14, 2009, 07:32 PM   #4
armedandsafe

Remember that the chart above is for right handed shooters. Reverse it side to side for us left shooters.

It sounds as if you ar not getting enough finger on the trigger and are pushing sideways. This can also be caused by pulling the trigger with all of your fingers instead of just the trigger finger. Another possible cause is not having the backstrap of the gun deep enough into the palm of your hand.

Have someone look over your shoulder as you fire and watch the fron sight. Once he has established the point at which you shift the tip of the barrel, have him start watching your hand, standing at the palm side of your shooting hand. This might pinpoint the muscle movement that is pulling the POA down and right.

Pops

If it time to bury them, it is time to dig them up.
Remember, "Behind every blade of grass."
Old March 14, 2009, 07:52 PM   #5
MrNiceGuy

Quote:
Remember that the chart above is for right handed shooters. Reverse it side to side for us left shooters.
I completely missed when he said he was a southpaw.

sorry for the mistake.
So, yes, reverse my suggestions for your shooting style
Old March 20, 2009, 08:17 AM   #6
TEDDY

handling

my chart says "JERKING"snatching at stock would be for right handers.I have got to start up my scanner.I can never get the red X to come up.
Old March 21, 2009, 10:44 AM   #7
mrray13

the chart above says the same thing...my guess is you're jerking/slapping the trigger. sometimes, that's done in anticipation of recoil...

a test..dry fire, focus on the sight. see where it starts on trigger pull and where it ends...also, buy some snap caps/dummy rounds. load them randomly in a magazine, but never the first round. see how you shoot, and what happens when you land on the dummy. having another pair of eyes behind you doesn't hurt.

a smooth, consistant, straight rearward pull is what is required. slow down your shooting until you see that you are hitting POA, then speed back up.
Old March 21, 2009, 03:17 PM   #8
QBall45

After rereading the OP and the rest. I would tend to think that impact being low and right for a left handed shooter indicates tightening fingers and or grip while mashing the trigger.

mrray13 has the right idea with the snap caps and having another set of eyes to watch. You could also set up your video camara.
Old March 23, 2009, 09:45 PM   #9
James K
Member In Memoriam

Yes, it is a dumb statement, and I apologize in advance, but have you targeted the guns to make sure they don't shoot that way?

Also, remember that handguns are sensitive to the way they are held and the way they are rested. If you are shooting off hand, that is probably not applicable, but if you are resting the gun, point of impact can be affected.

Jim
Old March 23, 2009, 10:12 PM   #10
Casimer

I'm a lefty as well, and I'll get a low-right shot from jerking. Be sure that you're not attempting to stage the trigger - don't hesitate once you begin the trigger stroke, bring it back with constant pressure on the trigger face.

And try dry firing. Don't accept any deflection of the front sight. Work on it until there's no disruption of the sight alignment when you release the shot.