The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 1, 2000, 09:36 PM   #1
JL Hunnicutt

How is the reloading-press stand, as sold by Midway? It seems to be very light-weight as it appears in the Midway catalog. Is anyone using one of these? How do you keep the stand from moving around, especially when resizing rifle brass? Do you have to hold onto the press with your free hand as you use your press? Thank you.
Old January 2, 2000, 09:06 AM   #2
Bud Helms

JL,

Did the press have a brand name?

I haven't seen a Midway catalog in two years.

Lee and Lyman both sell hendheld presses. The Lyman can be mounted on a table edge.

Sensop
Old January 2, 2000, 10:17 AM   #3
Joefo

JL, I have a Lyman turret press mounted on one of these. I use it as a portable stand for pistol cartridges with no problem. My friend has a progressive on the same stand and hasn't complained about it to me. He's been using it for years.

Joefo
Old January 2, 2000, 03:23 PM   #4
CKing

Used equipment like restaurant supplies, can provide wieghted table bases for little $$
Old January 4, 2000, 10:23 PM   #5
Bud Helms

Stand ... press .... sorry.

I misread. Don't know about the Midway stand.

Somebody tell Midway to send me a catalog.

Sensop
Old January 4, 2000, 11:19 PM   #6
Colduglandon

I picked up a stand for a bubble gum machine at a flea market. I intend to make a portable stand with it. Got the idea from the Midway Catalog. By the way they are on line, www.midwayusa.com. The stand is on sale this month.
Old January 4, 2000, 11:20 PM   #7
Mal H
Staff

Hey Midway! Send that man a catalog!

Sorry about the yelling, but they are in Missouri - I wanted to be sure they heard me. If you don't get it within a week, give them a call at 800-243-3220.
Old January 5, 2000, 03:44 PM   #8
WalterGAII

I have seen pictures of the Midway stand but have not seen the press up close. Would it be possible to fill the base with concrete??

Old January 5, 2000, 04:27 PM   #9
LongDuck

I have one of these, too (just replied to the 'tumbler pack' thread).

The stand works very well for my two single-stage presses mounted side-by-side for pistol calibers (9mm and .45). It is just the right size to make it easy to move around the house if you deprime in front of the TV and want to load somewhere else. It's sturdy enough for small single-stage, but I wouldn't try to mount a Dillon XL650 with case feeder and catch bins on it, if I were you!

For the price and convenience, I'm happy with the purchase. You could probably fill the base with concrete or something, after reinforcing the plastic, but IMO, that detracts from the utility of a lightweight, portable bench. I load mine down with the bulk box of bullets that I'm currently loading, and it's plenty stationary for dual single-stage use. Better yet, butt it up against your coffee table or a wall, and you have much more stability for larger calibers or long cases. HTH,
Old January 7, 2000, 01:05 AM   #10
Spectre
Staff Alumnus

The Midway stand is great and I highly recommend it. I have one top with a Rockchucker that I have used for some time for rifle and pistol, another for my Lee Load All II shotshell press and just mounted my new Dillon 550 on another top today. Works great. No complaints or problems.
Old January 7, 2000, 02:57 PM   #11
Trigger Jerk

I have a couple of them. They are light weight, which is why I like them, but they won't hold up to use with progressives like previously mentioned. I use mine for shotgun loading with a MEC 600 Jr and an extra top for a lubrisizer, and still an extra top that I bolted a 24x24 piece of plywood onto for use as a table at the range.

I don't think you can fill the base with anything. If I remember, it's hollow, but not enclosed.

Old January 11, 2000, 12:43 PM   #12
*Cag

I have a Midway reloading stand, and it works great for me. I once read a post of one guy that cut a piece of wood to the size of the stands table and reduced bowing. I have a Rockchucker and I don't have any complaints.

------------------
Best of luck....Cag
Old January 11, 2000, 01:44 PM   #13
Gino

I just got mine yesterday. Only problem I see is it's too light to be used on shag carpeting...
Old January 12, 2000, 04:11 PM   #14
Gino

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gino:
I just got mine yesterday. Only problem I see is it's too light to be used on shag carpeting...[/quote]

A guy on Glock Talk found out that the exact same trays for the stand can be found at Walmart for $3.95 for a pack of six. Midway sells them for $3.99 a piece!
Old January 12, 2000, 04:39 PM   #15
Mal H
Staff

Gino - a safety warning. You shouldn't be reloading over a shag rug anyway. You will eventually drop a primer, I guarantee it, and you may not realize it or be able to find it. If that primer is then vacuumed up, there is a real danger of it going off. You could have a bomb in the making if it goes off inside the vac. in a cloud of dust.

[This message has been edited by Mal H (edited January 12, 2000).]
Old January 13, 2000, 01:53 PM   #16
Gino

Thanks for the info!
Old January 16, 2000, 02:54 PM   #17
petej88

I just ordered one for my Dillon 550 progressive press (fairly small for a progressive). Hope you guys are wrong that it won't work. We'll see within a couple weeks