The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old January 6, 2013, 03:57 PM   #1
Koda94

good comebacks for CCW

For the CCW community

Suppose someone accidentally bumps into you and asks what was that?

Suppose someone notices you pulled your wallet out of the other pocket, and asks then what the heck's in the other pocket?

Suppose your hanging out with friends and they suggest going somewhere that is a "gun free" zone (like a mall...), and you don't have a place to stash your gun even if you could do that discreetly? (maybe your riding along).

What are some good comebacks to keeping your cover from being blown when your technique breaks down?
Old January 6, 2013, 04:18 PM   #2
Skadoosh

Hasnt happened in the decade that I have been carry a CCW.

I plan ahead in order to avoid gun-free zones.
Old January 6, 2013, 04:34 PM   #3
Joe_Pike

I don't think most people would be so bold as to ask you what was in your pocket unless you're trying to conceal a S&W 500 or something.

As for "gun free zones", it depends on what it is. If it's a government building, school, etc. I leave it in the car. I usually am not going to anyplace like that where I'm not driving so it's not a problem. If it's the mall or something like that I carry even though they are posted. It is not a criminal violation to do so where I live. If they knew I was carrying then they could ask me to leave, but concealed is concealed.
Old January 6, 2013, 05:06 PM   #4
PawPaw

I dated my wife for several months before she realized that I carried daily, and we danced a lot. Every Saturday night we went out dancing. There is no reason that casual contact should reveal that you're carrying.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old January 6, 2013, 05:20 PM   #5
Deaf Smith

No one in ten years has every asked me what was in a pocket, or about the bulge, or whatever.

Most people are so wrapped up in their own lives to notice anything out there but what they want to see.

As for what I would say... "Mind your own business" with a serious Clint Eastwood look.

Deaf
Old January 6, 2013, 05:29 PM   #6
jimbob86

Quote:
Suppose someone accidentally bumps into you and asks what was that?
"Insulin (or Morphine, Cancer-Chemo Med, colostomy, LVAD, pick your choice...) Pump."
or
"Nunya".
Old January 6, 2013, 05:35 PM   #7
Kreyzhorse

7 years and I've never been asked what's in my pocket or under my shirt.

Know what areas are legally binding no gun zones in your state. For example, the no gun signs do not carry the word of law in Kentucky. Let's say Walmart is a no gun zone, if outed at Walmart I could be asked to leave. If I dont leave, I could be arrested for trespass but would not incur any type of gun charge.

A court house on the other hand, it is illegal to carry a gun in one.

I'd suggest knowing the laws in your state. If you can't legally carry there and can't stash your gun, do not go in.

Do not explain any thing that you don't want to. My gun is my business. Your gun is your business.

Last edited by Kreyzhorse; January 6, 2013 at 05:48 PM.
Old January 6, 2013, 05:40 PM   #8
Skadoosh

Koda, are you seein' a pattern here?
Old January 6, 2013, 05:50 PM   #9
Drummer101

I plan to get a carry permit when I can afford it and if legal... I tell a few friends or my family but not all of them understand.

My response is that I plan on having a family and I want to do everything I can to protect them. If there is a time when I need it and I dont have it because I choose not to carry I would be devastated and I would have let them down. I refuse to be ideal and let someone else take control of a situation I dont like or could cause harm.
Old January 6, 2013, 06:35 PM   #10
Captains1911

People typically aren't that nosey, but if they were I would just make something up I guess. I've never really thought about it because its not really an issue.

As for the gun free zone, in the unlikely event that they're suggesting to go to a government building, school, or other place where carrying is unlawful, I would just carry.
Old January 6, 2013, 06:40 PM   #11
PT-92

Same Here

10 years now and not once has anyone ever noticed (to the best of my knowledge) nor inquired as to anything related to my CCW.
Old January 6, 2013, 07:50 PM   #12
Warrior1256

No one has ever asked me these questions. Wouldn't answer then if the did, it's none of their business. As for gun free zones here that only applies to schools and government buildings. It is not a criminal offense to carry in posted businesses so I carry anyway.
Old January 6, 2013, 08:55 PM   #13
Koda94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skadoosh
Koda, are you seein' a pattern here?
yes, that the replies are not seeing my question. I didn't ask if they have ever been asked anything, but what would be their reply IF they were asked (paraphrased for clarity).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koda94
What are some good comebacks to keeping your cover from being blown when your technique breaks down?
folks think out of the box here... what are the scenarios that would cause someone to suspect your packing heat, and what would the questions be?

I have had a CHL for well over 15 years without incident. Sometimes, as part of my responsibility for carrying a concealed firearm I ask myself questions and look for loopholes in my tactics. And the questions I asked in my OP are some of those. Some people are clever, and might ask questions others may not... like why do you have 2 wallets in each pocket.
I thought I would ask them here because forums are a good place to get opinions from the community at large, I see a value in that vs a closed circle of friends. That's, in part why I joined.

I will admit, I might not be the best at stating my point. I'm human, but I try. Maybe I also just worry too much. If there is no point in this thread it will fade away and I will move on. I'm ok with that, my feelings wont be hurt.

edited only for minor for spelling error...

Last edited by Koda94; January 6, 2013 at 09:54 PM.
Old January 6, 2013, 09:10 PM   #14
Koda94

to participate in my own OP

the only time I ever had an incident CCW was when I was new to CCW and strapped a 92FS to my belt and put a long shirt over it and went shopping. When I went into a store I wasn't aware of my new dimensions opening the door to the store the door frame hit the top of my pistol through my clothes with a loud metallic sound. I responded perfectly with no change in motion, but the random person entering the store with me asked me if I was OK and that 'didn't sound right'..... Based on that noise it made to an un-suspecting person it would be reasonable to assume I was in pain. My reply: I told him that I might be smiling on the outside but I'm really holding back on the inside, but that I was ok.

...about whats in my pocket. My pocket carry prints very lightly like a wallet, but I prefer to carry my real wallet in a front pocket for security. (I do this whether or not I'm carrying I do not carry my wallet in my back pocket). anyways, I have often wondered if someone would ever notice "two wallets" and ask.... I'm not worried about this amongst friends, but with co-workers who you spend as much time with and do get to know you well enough might ask. I will admit, this probably falls into the case of "I'm worrying too much" but its just a question and a possibility. A good reply would be clever.
Old January 6, 2013, 09:26 PM   #15
Mobuck

Last year at a business meeting, a coworker "bumped" into me while we were moving some office equipment. She immediately looked directly in my eye and winked.
That was the only time anyone has made any indication of noticing I was armed.
Old January 6, 2013, 09:29 PM   #16
Lost Sheep

Koda94, I think I see the pattern. I also think I see your question.

The pattern #1 is that the question is rarely, if ever, asked.

Pattern #2 is that answers are usually not given, or a deflecting answer is proferred. My favorite is "That's the extra helping of pizza last night." These can be snide, challenging, humorous...take your pick... or truthful, "I carry a gun."

What I see is your question is that you want to know what others would do if asked (particularly by someone who would make a fuss or whose relationship with you would be affected).

I recall a thread a couple of years ago that went pretty deep into the answers carriers would give. I wish I had the link to post here.

I recall that there was much discussion about how the circumstances surrounding the question/questioner would affect the answer. If asked by someone exhibiting an anti-gun manner the answer would be radically different from the answer given to someone exhibiting a more open attitude. Whether there was time to engage in a long discussion over the merits of carrying or if one were in a hurry would govern the answer chosen (a waiting room vs a checkout line for example).

Yours is a good question. Some people put more thought into their holster choices than what they would do if "outed" for carrying. But really, both are appropriate for consideration. And, ironically, the less thought about holsters, the more thought about what to do if outed is warranted.

Having a ready response for various situations is good interpersonal tactics. Good for you for thinking about it. Getting surprised with the question is not as bad as getting surprised with a violent street mugging, but both should be considered (in my opinion).

When I carry, I take every precaution to prevent the question from being asked almost as assiduously as I take precautions to prevent having to use my gun.

Lost Sheep
Old January 6, 2013, 09:40 PM   #17
Lost Sheep

Two posts while I was composing my last one. I got to type faster (or shorter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koda94
about whats in my pocket. My pocket carry prints very lightly like a wallet, but I prefer to carry my real wallet in a front pocket for security. (I do this whether or not I'm carrying I do not carry my wallet in my back pocket). anyways, I have often wondered if someone would ever notice "two wallets" and ask.... I'm not worried about this amongst friends, but with co-workers who you spend as much time with and do get to know you well enough might ask. I will admit, this probably falls into the case of "I'm worrying too much" but its just a question and a possibility. A good reply would be clever.
I always carry two wallets. One for money and one for irreplaceable stuff. I picked up the habit in Asia where American G.I.s off duty were targets for mugging. Give up the money easily. An American Military ID and other documents were FAR more sensitive.

So, the reply "I carry two wallets, the one with money is throwaway as, if robbed, I can replace it more easily than my ID, credit cards and photographs."

If asked about the third wallet, you can go snide, "You don't want to know". Or ironic, "That's so I can keep my throwaway." (Which works even if it ain't true.) Or bare-faced truth or bare-faced lie, with or without sarcasm "That's my colostomy bag, want to help me empty it?"

I really wish I had that link I mentioned in my earlier post. It was a good thread.

Lost Sheep
Old January 6, 2013, 09:42 PM   #18
Hook686

Do you always answer every question you are asked ? Why not simply smile and move along ?

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.
Old January 6, 2013, 09:48 PM   #19
Bob Wright

Quote:
..................It is not a criminal offense to carry in posted businesses so I carry anyway.

Be advised that in Tennessee, it is a misdemeanor to carry in businesses where posted.

Bob Wright
Old January 6, 2013, 09:56 PM   #20
Lost Sheep

Usually works, but not all the time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hook686
Do you always answer every question you are asked ? Why not simply smile and move along ?
Someone with enough concern (and suspicion) might, if unsatisfied with a pleasant smile and a polite non-answer might lead to a conversation with the police investigating a suspected "man with a gun" call.

Well-meaning concerned citizens are ever more likely to make that call now more than ever.

Might ruin your day. Certainly would disrupt your schedule for at least a few minutes.

(As an aside, I recently heard about a restaurant that asked armed police officers to leave because of a gun. DO READ THE WHOLE ARTICLE lest jumping to conclusion result.)

http://www.policymic.com/articles/21...w-highs/332708

Lost Sheep
Old January 6, 2013, 10:11 PM   #21
Koda94

Lost Sheep, thank you.
Lots of good insight and reply, that's what I'm after. You are correct, (pattern #1) is rarely asked, but yes I try to consider interpersonal tactics into my plan.

I'm also pretty anal about my tactics, and so I'm aware that maybe just one time I could let my guard down and print too much when bent over or something.... I'm only human and make mistakes.

All: as far as carrying where businesses post you cannot, its good to learn here that others do the same as I, but do so only if that is legal in your state/area. Consider that you must leave immediately if asked and without confrontation or dispute. But this should not be an issue if you keep your weapon concealed. Concealed is concealed, and in this arena it might be important to consider some of these interpersonal tactics.... see quote:
Quote:
Someone with enough concern (and suspicion) might, if unsatisfied with a pleasant smile and a polite non-answer might lead to a conversation with the police investigating a suspected "man with a gun" call.

Well-meaning concerned citizens are ever more likely to make that call now more than ever.
excellent post Lost Sheep, excellent.

(Another opinion of mine, after discovering a business is posted a gun free zone... even if its not a criminal offense in your area I take my business elsewhere. But that's another thread.... )
Old January 6, 2013, 10:15 PM   #22
BerdanSS

If some strange person asked what I have in my pockets, I'd tell them the truth...It's non of your @#$% business...

Where in the heck do you live that a shopping mall is a "gun free zone"?

I had a.....lets call it a discussion...with a former boss who was petrified of guns, after I came to pick up my check on a day off. I was carrying my Kimber Custom II under a jacket, but once i was in the front office with my buddy who was the MOD for the day, (He was getting my check) I removed it exposing my weapon. My buddy also CCs so no big issue. The aforementioned jerk-wad came in and saw it, he told me that as an employee I was not allowed to have a gun on the store premises at any time.

Well after the nasty "discussion", some questioning of a state trooper buddy and him looking into Indiana law for me...we discovered that for a corporation (the specific one here was PetsMart) to restrict CC rights in their store...The store(s) must be solely owned by the company....including the property the building sits on. No leasing of either the lot nor building. Also EVERY store in the chain, in the state must prominently display an officially marked sign that clearly state no firearms permitted. Since PetsMart leases the parking lots and property...it quickly became a non-issue.

Long story short, I dropped the small BOOK of papers and legal documents I had compiled on his desk, and I worked there for two more years without a word said.

Last edited by BerdanSS; January 6, 2013 at 10:37 PM.
Old January 6, 2013, 10:42 PM   #23
Koda94

Quote:
Where in the heck do you live that a shopping mall is a "gun free zone"?
I have learned through recent events: Clackamas Town Center Mall is one of those places.

Quote:
It's non of your @#$% business...
I don't think this is an answer that will work for me. I'm looking for ways to diffuse and distract the situation without escalating aggression. I've learned that using profanity to cover my ass only gets me in more trouble.

Something like "all these stores require too many shopping membership cards these days.... gotta have my discount" (with a smile)
IDK, but using profanity is probably going to confirm the suspicion of the good citizen inquiring, that there is a gun. I suspect that at Clackamas Town Center mall there might now be many good citizens with a more open eye. Especially store employees, and maybe others with a CCW.
Old January 7, 2013, 12:08 AM   #24
jasmith85

I have never been asked but if I was I would just tell the person the truth. A gun raises a lot less suspicion if you admit to having it. I usually open carry anyway but I live in a small town in Tennessee where just about everyone carries.
Old January 7, 2013, 12:27 AM   #25
Cheapshooter

"You ain't findin' out what I got in my pants without buying me a drink first"

Seriously I agree with the common thaught that it just doesn't happen enough to worry about what to say. Might actually use that line if it happens some day. Probably as has been said, just remain silent.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!