The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old December 23, 2011, 05:10 PM   #1
Colonel Custer

TT33 owners?

I want to buy a tokarev tt 33. What can I look for on this gun that would help pick out a good buy. I know about barrel pitting and dark bores but anything else?

Well I guess I will sleep with a chainsaw next to my bed. Not the same as a gun but I figure the sound of it revving up will be as effective as a pump shot gun being cycled.
Old December 26, 2011, 04:04 PM   #2
Clark

I have lost track of how many Tokarevs I own, but it is most likely less than a dozen.

I only own one true T33, a 1939 Russian. You would be lucky to find one of those for sale.

I have the book "Collector's Guide to Tokarevs"
http://www.amazon.com/collectors-gui.../dp/B0006ECTX6
Which is out of print.

10 years ago I proved that the books were wrong about the CZ52 vs Tokarev strength, sill there are guy who know more than I do about collecting, at this forum:
http://forums.gunboards.com/forumdis...-Handgun-Forum

I can tell you that of all the countries of origin of Tokarevs, the Chinese shoot just as well as the rest, except the model 213, that has some strange parts in it, and was meant for 9x19mm only. The 213 is not as good as other Tokarevs, but still a very good pistol for 9mm.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old December 28, 2011, 07:07 PM   #3
Colonel Custer

I've considered a CZ52

Really I'm looking for either one or the Chinese version. What can you tell me about the diff?

Well I guess I will sleep with a chainsaw next to my bed. Not the same as a gun but I figure the sound of it revving up will be as effective as a pump shot gun being cycled.
Old December 31, 2011, 07:18 PM   #4
amx4080

I own Romanian and Yugoslavian versions of the TT33. Comparing them with a friends Russian TT33, they are nearly identical (of course the Yugoslavian version holds 9 rounds). I've recently seen advertisements for the Romanian, Polish and Yugoslavian versions, which all have had a "safety" added for importation. If you want one for shooting, these are all good and I didn't pay for a handpick, just ordered one sight unseen, and all had clean bores and were in great shape. I don't see an advantage in hunting down a Russian unless you desire it for a possible investment.
Old January 13, 2012, 12:00 AM   #5
Colonel Custer

Thanks I will probably get one

Most likely a Romanian.